Newbie and feel horrible

(Charlotte) #1

Please go easy on me this is my first post. I have been on keto for about 6 weeks. Last week I finally entered Ketosis (based on pee sticks). Since then I had a fever (2 days) then nausea and really bad diarrhea and stomach cramps. I can’t even leave the house because the diarrhea comes on so quickly. I am not able to sleep because of insomnia and stomach cramps. I am a cross fitter and usually work out 6 days a week. I can’t even fathom the idea of going to the gym and haven’t been in 4 days. I am a 41 year old mother of 3, 5’6” and 123 lbs. what I am doing wrong? I need to sleep.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Sounds a lot like food poisoning to me. That’s how I react to Salmonella or Escherichia coli, both of which are endemic in the U.S. food supply. Usually it only lasts a couple of days; longer than that, and you should see your doctor.

you could actually be sick with a stomach bug if you’ve had a fever. Just a side note, but are you doing keto to lose weight? By the numbers it seems like you’re pretty thin for your height. Just curious. (you may be doing it just to be healthy which is cool!).

(Jill F.) #4

I agree it may have nothing at all to do with keto. You may need to pay a trip to the dr to see what I’d going on. I hope you feel better soon!

(Charlotte) #5

Thanks for the reply. I am trying keto out to see how it affects my stamina, strength and body composition. Not trying to lose weight. Hopeful to feel great with lots of energy.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

I know this might be a cliche response but are you consuming enough salt, at least 2 teaspoons daily? 10-15 grams by weight which accounts for different grind sizes.:cowboy_hat_face:

A fever indicates an infection typically…sounds like gastroenteritis to me. If last longer than 4-5 days call your MD. Hope you are feeling better soon! Fluids and electrolytes are crucial for fever and diarrhea…do your best!

(Charlotte) #8

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful words and advice.

(Peg Prince) #9

I too am at the 6 week mark. My energy varries between none and very little. My head usually feels like I am just getting over the flu. That being said, I am pushing forward.
Peg

(Charlotte) #10

It’s nice to see someone doing keto for reasons other than weight loss. I myself originally started for weight loss. lol! I agree with everyone else. Definitely something other than keto going on there (former EMT). I hope you feel better!

(Scott) #11

A runner but not a cross fitter here but you are not going to have any energy until you are fat adapted which can take two months or longer. You may want to study up on how keto and workouts go together. I haven’t dug very deep but the snipits I have seen seem to indicate that endurance athletes can do very well on keto. For short bursts of activity it may not be as effective as a fuel. More science there than I can cover if I knew it all. I am a runner so it works well for me.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

That’s what I’ve been thinking, but then a recent Volek paper suggests that glucose levels recover after an initial drop. I wonder if people haven’t been waiting long enough after fat adaptation for explosive performance to recover, as well. Hmmmm . . . :thinking:

Sleep - sounds like a great idea. Keto or not rest is super important for the body to heal itself.

What you have doesn’t sound keto related at all. Unless you have been neglecting the tons of water we need to have? Or the salt? Which must be resupplied daily

One symptom of dehydration is diarrhoea and headaches (warning - TMI coming - but if it stinks a lot then it’ll more likely some bad food. Try to ascertain if it’s bad food or lack of water).

Definitely rest and rehydrate either way.

If you’re guzzling MCT oil then that can upset your belly, that takes some practice and training…

If it’s none of the above and it isn’t getting better after a day or so then get some lab tests.

My fridge was set wrong and all the food was spoiling but not in any obvious way! I ate some salmon which either smells fishy or fishy so I couldn’t tell but it was a bit off. A bit? I had diarrhoea and cramps for 2 weeks. No magic medicine, it just took time.

Anyway hope you get better soon.

Hi Peggo,

Are you eating to satiety ? Or doing what I did and trying to help keto by half starving yourself?

Butter and olive oil are pure energy - are you shy about them, like I was, or are you getting plenty?

If I eat too much protein I get drowsy, did before keto, still do now.

Otherwise it does get better over time, hang in there … just ensure the 20g carbs.

(Peg Prince) #15

Thank you for the thoughtful response Alex. I believe I am eating enough at mealtime. Breakfast is Bulletproof Coffee (1 TBSP each butter, MCT oil, 35% Cream). I eat well for lunch and dinner. I generally have one carb friendly veg dish every day…I stopped snacking about 2 weeks ago. My ratios generally add up to approx 10/70/20 . I take a magnesium supplement (500mg with 500mg D3). I still don’t exercise because I just don’t have the energy. Your thoughts are most welcome.

That all sounds good, no semi-starvation like I was doing. But it was also about keto-adaptation, just took longer than 6-8 weeks for me, more like 2-3 months. That’s where the saying KCKO came in handy. See how you go in a couple of weeks.

(Peg Prince) #17

What is KCKO Alex?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

KCKO

You’ll see it a lot on this website “keep cool and keto on”

It’s how we encourage each other due to a lack of go faster button

(Peg Prince) #20

Lmao…love it. No intentions of stopping. 20 lbs btw my hubby and myself cannot easily be ignored!