New Vegetarian Keto Teen!

(Katie) #41

Your tastes and ability to digest it may change after a while. Keep trying different things. White fish vs. fattier fish, chicken vs. steak.

(Willa) #42

I don’t think I’ll ever eat meat again. I feel too bad for the animal

(Willa) #43

Thanks! I’ll definitely look into that

(Bob M) #44

I would really try to get complete proteins. This is “possible” by combining foods such as beans and rice. Note also that the “amount” of protein for plant foods is likely vastly overestimated, especially when one considers absorption (less plant protein is absorbed).

If you’re eating dairy, look also into whey protein.

I’m very jealous

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #46

The problem is that producing food requires the taking of life, no matter how we do it. Plenty of small mammals are killed when soil is tilled before planting. Granted, the rats, mice, rabbits, hedgehogs, badgers, and so forth aren’t killed directly for food—merely so we can get our crops in—but it seems to me that if life is sacred, then life is sacred.

Furthermore, any way you look at it, monocrop agriculture is a disaster, from an environmental perspective. Ruminant agriculture is far better for the land and does away with the cruelty of factory farming.

(Bob M) #47

I’ve listened to some interesting podcast in this vein:

This guy is great and includes economics:

This is an owner of a holistic farm:

This guy is a farmer in Australia. He has an interesting take on the economics of farming. He says some depressing things, though:

They are pretty much all in agreement that animals are necessary and must die to fertilize and harvest plants.

(Polly) #48

This is exactly where the arguments for eating only plant materials fall down in my opinion. I would have given you all my likes for the day if I could have done it PaulL.

(Bunny) #49

I agree you want some animal protein[3] with that?

[1] Resistant starch and protein intake enhances fat oxidation and feelings of fullness in lean and overweight/obese women: “…The elevated energy expenditure and satiety elicited by diets high in either protein or RS4 likely occur via some, but not all, common mechanisms [15, 16]. Thus, it’s reasonable to speculate that diets high in both dietary protein and RS may have greater beneficial effects than either intervention alone. …”

[2] Resistant starch lowers postprandial glucose and leptin in overweight adults consuming a moderate-to-high-fat diet: a randomized-controlled trial: “…Consuming 30 g HAM-RS2 daily for 6 weeks can improve glucose homeostasis, lower leptin concentrations, and increase fasting PYY in healthy overweight adults without impacting body composition and may aid in the prevention of chronic disease. However, between-group differences in biomarkers were not observed and future research is warranted before specific recommendations can be made. …”

[3] Methylcobalamin vs Cyanocobalamin: What’s the Difference?

(Carnivore for the win) #50

May be worth a read.

I think it’s possible to eat vegetarian and be keto–you just cut carbs and eat a lot of fat.

But just because you’re eating keto, doesn’t mean you’re getting all the nutrition you need. It’s very tricky to get sufficient protein while you’re doing that–at your size you probably want at least 70g/day. Except eggs and some cheese, I can’t think of any type of food where you could eat enough of it to get sufficient protein and keep your carbs under 20g. To get that much protein from peanut butter you’d end up getting 36g carbs just from the PB (yes, I know you’d eat a more varied diet; it’s just an example).

Having been a vegetarian myself for several years when I was younger, I know all the reading I did always promoted the idea that you didn’t need much protein, claiming the RDA was over-estimating. Modern research says it’s much more likely that the RDA is under-estimating, probably by a lot. I felt like crap (mentally and physically) and gained a ton of weight. Once I started eating more protein, I felt soooo much better. You’ll also have to make sure you’re taking appropriate supplements, because there are a number of nutrients you can’t get from a vegetarian diet.

I encourage you to avoid any weird processed foods like “vegetarian mince.” There are probably a lot of ingredients in that like soy, seed oils, and other chemicals. If you find yourself wanting meat replacements, your body is probably trying to tell you something. Your mind may be vegetarian, but your body is definitely an omnivore. :grin:

You also might want to check out The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Kieth. She’s an environmentalist, food activist and former vegetarian, so she brings an interesting perspective to the subject.

(Bob M) #52

I wasn’t a vegetarian, but I ate a very low fat diet for a long time. Looking back, I was depressed, had mood swings, was always hungry, etc. I was able to do it because I was (1) young and (2) exercised a ton. As soon as I got injured, though, I gained weight.

My initial response in this thread was just to the idea of being vegetarian and keto. I do believe this is possible. There is something about a desire not to kill animals, and I am one of those people who will take the spider outside instead of killing it.

Having said that, I think whatever you eat, you’re killing animals. If you don’t believe it, try to grow your own food. You will have to kill insects and animals to do so. You have to. I think we’re so divorced from our food that we don’t realize this.

You seem like a good person. You are learning and growing. If you’re going to be learning and growing.

Get yourself an avocado tree. You can grow them in a large pot. You will have more fruit than you can eat, if you care for the tree. And it’s a tree! The surplus can be shared with fiends and family locally, to facilitate community connection. Nourishment comes from lots of things.

I apologise for my part in messing up the planet and handing that mess on to your generation. But I do live off grid, grow my own keto wholefoods (mostly), sharing the abundance locally, I harvest our rainwater, recycle our wastes (composting out toilet wastes and rcycle the grey water). I plant more trees every year to create a sustainable small ecosystem on my land to be resilient in the face of climate change.

I hope you go on to build your own earth ship. Look into those, if you haven’t heard about them.

The best app to count carbs is a keto fuelled brain. Know what is in the food you eat. The more practice, the more intuitive it becomes.

Try and find the haiku written by @richard Richard Morris. It is a very good keto guide.

(Bob M) #54

I think she has an avocado tree.