New Vegetarian Keto Teen!

(Willa) #21

Hey! :slight_smile:

My parents are fully aware and supportive of my decision to be a keto vegetarian. I told them all the benefits and they said that they’d buy me the foods that are necessary for the diet. My doctor also knows I’m vegetarian and he said since I’ve started, I’ve been as healthy as I’ve ever been. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::avocado:

(Willa) #22

I have been in the healthiest state that I’ve ever been in because of vegetarianism. 6 months ago, I was tipping over the overweight region very quickly. Since I’ve started being vegetarian, my health has gotten so much better and I’ve almost lost 10 kilos. Many people don’t know how to correctly do the vegan/vegetarian diet, and that usually causes people to stop. I don’t want to debate on this topic as I only came here for keto advice, but I respect you and I respect your decisions to eat meat. I absolutely agree with you when you said starting keto young is good. I want to live as long as I can and through my thorough research, cutting meat and being keto is the best way to do that. Thank you so my for your reply! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::slight_smile::avocado::green_salad:

(Willa) #23

My parents know I’m vegetarian and my doctor does also and he said I’m very healthy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::heart::avocado:

I tried that for a while and I liked it but my triglycerides went through the roof and though my doctor did not make the connection, my trigs came down when I switched back to a higher meat diet but I’m old haha The only thing “high” now is LDL which I’m not worried about. I dont think you have anything to worry about in the short term at your age. . . . And I have an avocado tree in my back yard :wink:

(Susan) #25

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/community/keto4adolescents

This part of the forum might interest you =).

@KidKeto might have some good advice for you =).

Did you look at this page for food shopping lists?

There are also some GREAT recipes in this book but I don’t think it’s aimed at vegetarians

Also

and maybe this newer page

I became a pescatarian (ate fish maybe twice a month) at the age of 12, I am now 27. For years I felt okay on the diet. Over years I developed pcos (a big concern for women), I had low B12, D, ferritin, iron, and folate, I gained a ton of weight, and I was insulin resistant/ had high fasting sugars and would crash after eating carbs. For me not eating meat was killing me- as a teen I didn’t want to hear it either but I wish I had- my doctor says she had never seen a fully healthy vegetarian or vegan. Eating meat for some months and doing keto had fixed most of my issues. Also sustainably raised meat is necessary for nitrogen balance of the soil- without which the plants would die- which they are starting to do. Vegetarianism and veganism is actually worse for the planet long term as more well formulated studies have found. I would take a second look into it. Protein is a massive concern unless you’re eating like twelve eggs a day. Soy is very harmful to developing girls. It messes up the hormone balance and I wish my parents had never fed me vegetarian products with soy

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

At age fourteen your body requires quite a bit of protein, because you are beginning your growth spurt. the recommendations for limiting protein you will read on most sites are intended for adults who have finished growing, so ignore them. Not only that, but your brain will be growing and developing for at least the next ten years, so you need large quantities of saturated and monounsaturated fat to fuel that growth. The brain is mostly made of fatty acids and cholesterol. Although plant sterols are not useful to the human body, you do not need to eat animal foods to get enough cholesterol, so long as you eat enough saturated and monounsaturated fats.

I would strongly advise you, however, to postpone embarking on a vegetarian diet until you have attained your adult stature and your brain has stopped growing. Vegetarain keto can be done, but keto is a lot easier to do when animal foods are an option. Your health is precious, and you can permanently damage yourself by failing to eat a healthy diet during puberty. The key to a ketogenic diet is to eat as little carbohydrate as possible, and that is very difficult on a plant-based diet.

(Katie) #29

I encourage you to get as much animal fats and proteins as possible, so prioritize eggs and consider adding fish.

Hi! I read through your posts and its cool that you got your parents and doctor’s support. I can’t think of any specific accounts I really trust off the top of my head but when I’m looking for vegetarian keto recipes I usually just search Instagram and Pinterest for #vegetarianketo My husband bounces between vegetarian/vegan and I’m keto so sometimes I like cooking meals we can both enjoy.

There are a lot of vegetarian keto lists to dig through on both apps. Definitely check the ingredients lists in recipes to make sure what they say they’re using is really keto and vegetarian. Here’s a quick cheat sheet I use when looking for protein sources since I already know what low carb veggies work for us. Make sure you’re keeping you’re electrolytes up. The main thing is to cut out processed foods.

(Willa) #31

Thank you so so so much :pleading_face::two_hearts:

(Kathy Timmons) #32

Hi Willa, Welcome to the world of Keto. I am sure you will get lots of suggestions on what to do. :slight_smile: I wish I had found Keto at your age!
I am married to a vegetarian. You just have to study and plan your WOE. It is a little harder but possible.
Good luck and keep us updated!!

(Susan) #33

You are very welcome, it is great that you are doing Keto as your age, that is terrific, and I wish you well =).

(Willa) #34

(Willa) #35

Thanks!!! I’ll definitely keep everyone up to date. :slight_smile:

(Willa) #36

Thank you so much! This helps a lot :slight_smile:

(Willa) #37

Thanks! I own 3 chickens so I’m definitely going to be eating lots of eggs. However, I don’t think I’ll ever incorporate any meat or fish into my diet because I don’t like the taste and I feel really gross after I eat it. :slight_smile:

(Willa) #38

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely keep in mind everything you’re saying. I eat lots and lots of eggs and I get regular check ups with my doctor to see how my health is going. So far, being vegetarian for 6 months has made me go from being overweight to losing almost 8 kilos and being as healthy as ever. I really appreciate your advice, however when I eat meat I feel so gross after and I feel bad considering I’m eating an animal after it was murdered. Again, I will definitely take everything into account. thanks so much :slight_smile::avocado:

(Willa) #39

Thanks!!! I’ll check them out. :slight_smile:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #40

This may be something of interest (saw from a post on FB):

And here is the app he mentions: