New to this and loving it but

(Terence Dean) #63

I eat three times a day, I get around that one by eating protein at breakfast and dinner. For lunch I’ll eat something light because I’m usually not that hungry, a salad, dairy perhaps?. Meal time comes around pretty quick when you’re eating three times a day, I don’t snack at all because I don’t feel the need to at the moment. Some days I’ll feel hungry at lunch time so I might swap what I would have eaten for dinner and have that, but then at dinner it will be light. Planning what you intend to eat for the entire day is a good tip rather than going to the fridge and hoping for the best. I often thaw out the day before what I’m going to eat that day. My body really responds to routine, as soon as I deviate too much it lets me know.

(Bubba) #64

Thanks guys for all your advice and support, it’s such a help.
It’s the start of week 4 for me, been away for a long weekend break with friends and I had no urges to veer off course. However, I did feel quite isolated because I had to eat first most of the time before we went out because the menus just didn’t have anything ZC and the places weren’t the sort where you’d ask for things to be done differently from the menu!

Im trying a 24hr fast today, to try and get things moving cause despite everything people have suggested, things aren’t moving in the slightest. Not sure if that’s recommended so early on?

Im also feeling bloated still and my clothes feel uncomfortable, not the case in week one, which is why I said I feel like im going backwards, not just cause of the weight gain but because how I feel. Week 1 and from 2-4 are like polar opposites!

(Terence Dean) #65

That’s a very good sign right there. There are others here who are expert at eating out, I haven’t eaten out since we started this diet so I cannot say how I’d deal with that to be honest. I hope that I’d be strong enough to push any carbs to the side and just eat what I want to eat. Steak, salad or vegetables is a safe bet. Even if it comes with potatoes or fries, just kick that to the side and soldier on!

Good luck with the fast, KCKO! :keto:

(Bubba) #66

Ok, so after feeling quite down about lack of progress and then receiving some bad family news, I snapped and gorged - proper fell off the wagon!:tired_face: I had managed a fast from 10pm the previous evening until about 6.30pm yesterday…then it all went wrong.

However, this morning I am down 3lbs! How, I don’t even know?!! Im thinking perhaps this will go back on again and im out of ketosis. Im eating normally again today, no fast, so fingers crossed no damage has been done and no regain…but to be honest, I don’t know how this works once ive been bad:thinking::no_mouth:

(Terence Dean) #67

Well at least you found something to snap your body out of the plateau. Who knows whether it was the fast or the sudden gorging of food but whatever it was, you should be able to work out from there whether it was caused by not enough food or over-eating.

Yesterday I under ate, and put on 0.88lb, but at least I know why and can fix it. You will eventually work out what the ideal amount of food is for you to eat and still lose weight comfortably. If you are starving all the time between meals you’re doing something wrong but equally you should not over eat either.

(MooBoom) #68

Your experience mirrors my own, I didn’t break my PISS until I ate an obscene amount of calories one day. My weight loss always seems to follow a pattern of stall- minimal hunger- no weight loss - EXTREME hunger - weight loss. I don’t eat, I don’t lose! :joy:

(Terence Dean) #69

Today I reduced that weight gain and lost a further 0.8lbs, total loss 1.7lb by sticking to my game plan.

(Bubba) #70

That’s great, wow…but how did you work out how much you’re supposed to eat?

(Terence Dean) #71

How do I work out or know how much? Experience tells me. I’ve been on that many diets that I know how much is too much for me and also when I’m not eating enough. Its almost getting to the point where I can predict whether I’m going to lose before I go to bed. I had to adjust a bit to deal with the lack of carbs on Keto but worked it out pretty quick.

So I have this set amount of food in my head and I work roughly with that to guide me through the day. A perfect day is when I’ve eaten the right amount of food, drank my water, done my moderate exercises. As soon as I start fiddling with the macros for example that’s when I’m most likely to deviate and then I usually don’t lose anything.

Some people plan their diets in consultation with a dietician or counselor and that’s where I learned the most about what works for me. People do it with apps and formulas but trial and error is just as effective in my opinion.

Its an individual thing I think, you will eventually get to the same stage yourself if you stick at it and do what is effective for you. It’s not a race, so enjoy the journey. Again I am VERY impressed with Keto even if I don’t practice it perfectly.

(Bubba) #72

You sound like you’re well on your way, I pleased for you that you just ‘know’ at this stage. That must be quite satisfying.
I’m a month in and no clue as yet, I used my fitness pal which said I should be on 1200cals, then used a bmi calculator that said 1600cals…so I’m a million miles away from working out what it should actually be.
I’m not racing, just want steady results, even if they are slow…I’d rather that than it being like a rollercoaster!

(Terence Dean) #73

I’ll give you an example of what I eat in a typical day and my schedule and see if that is close to what you do. On this diet I can average about 0.2kg a day weight loss. That works out to be around 1.5kg per week which is great because its not too much, I could lose faster but its not worth the starvation.

Here goes:
8:00am - 20 min walk approx 1.2km

8:30am - Breakfast
2 rashers of bacon fried in butter 68g
2 eggs scrambled
dash of milk
chives (mixed in my scrambled eggs)
1/2 tomato fried

12:00am - Lunch*
1 cup Shredded Lettuce
small handful of macadamia & cashews
4-6 cherry tomatoes
1 oz cheddar cheese
tsp of pickle
1 small can of tuna (in olive oil) 95g

4:00pm - 20 min walk approx 1.2km

5:00pm - Dinner
2 Small Lamb chops with fat on (cooked on the barbecue, and swimming in duck fat) 100g, 452 cal (71%fat, 29%protein)
1 cup of Spinach
1 cup of cabbage

Water: 2 litres through the day
Coffee: 2 with 1 tsp of honey, milk
Supplements: 2-3 Vita Gummies (Multi-Vitamins)
No snacks between meals
No eating after 8:00pm
7-8 hours sleep

Note: * Lunch is usually what I alter the most, sometimes I’ll just have some raw fruit like an orange with some yogurt because I don’t feel that hungry, depends on what I’ve been doing. Removed the pomegranate juice because its not something I have everyday.

(Bunny) #75

The most important info on this subject you will ever need to know in your life-time and this pretty much sums it up: WIRED TO EAT BY ROBB WOLF (REVIEW)

Resources:

1. VIOME

(back and doublin' down) #76

Great article, and loved the embedded TED Talk about the importance of sleep!

(Terence Dean) #77

Another 0.2kg gone this morning. KCKO! :keto:

(Bubba) #78

You’re getting amazing results, you’re eating more than me…obviously your calorie intake will be more.
The only difference us I don’t eat any salad, veg I’m a bit cautious of and I didn’t know we could have fruit or juice?

(Terence Dean) #79

The Keto police :policeman: reckon you shouldn’t be having fruit period which I don’t agree with personally, to hell with that! I’m eating fruit so sue me, I also don’t want my teeth to fall out when I get scurvy! :stuck_out_tongue: Today I had an orange, yogurt, and a glass of pomegranate juice instead of the salad, wasn’t hungry enough.

Don’t be scared to eat vegetables just watch the potatoes, and starchy ones which have a LOT of carbs. But there’s no reason why you cannot eat plenty of leafy green vegetables such as spinach, silver beet, cauliflower I believe is acceptable but I don’t like it.

I got a great link from another post I made about what foods are Keto friendly, you may wish to check that list out.

Again don’t try to eat what I do and expect the same amount of weight loss, my wife eats virtually the same and only loses half if she’s lucky. Women have a different metabolism to men so expect to lose a lot less but just keep at it.

(Lonnie Hedley) #80

Here’s a post you might find interesting on a zero carb site about why you don’t need vitamin C to prevent scurvy.

It’s taken me a couple years to migrate to this way of eating, but I personally feel much better having cut out the veggies.

(back and doublin' down) #81

Over the last couple of weeks, I did similar. I do cooked veggies, but no longer eat salad. The more I do IF and EF and feel more aware of my digestive system, the more apparent it was that digesting raw veggies is hard for my system. These variations are part of what makes this WOE truly n=1.

(Lonnie Hedley) #82

A buddy of mine mentions how he NEEDS fiber for his movements. I can guarantee fiber is not necessary for good movements.

(Terence Dean) #83

Australian Aboriginals have been eating fruit for over 50,000 years. One of their natural bush fruit the Kakadu Plum has the “highest recorded level of natural vitamin C content of any plant in the world — more than 100 times that of oranges". If vitamin C wasn’t that important you’d think they would not have bothered to eat them, or perhaps they were hungry at the time and felt like eating fruit for a change…just like I do. :stuck_out_tongue: