New to this and loving it but

(Terence Dean) #43

What does your body tell you? Some people on the forum have said they suffered from severe cramps and that salt solved the problem, I had a weird cramp on top of my foot one night but I knew exactly why. I’d done some strenuous exercise that day and not drank enough water. Perhaps it was the salt I excreted from sweating for over 2 hours I don’t know but I re-hydrated and it was not a problem after that.

I hope your plan really works out for you and Keto on as they say here. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Bubba) #44

My body keeps a lot of secrets, tells me nothing!!!
Many thanks and let me wait and see I guess😕

(Terence Dean) #45

Ok I’ve been doing some research and it seems one of the side effects to a low carb diet is constipation. I’ll post a link to a page on side-effects but I read one by Dr Phinney saying that constipation may be experienced before becoming keto adapted. Good to read that its not a permanent thing. There’s definite evidence that the gut will slow down without the carbs we were eating before keto.

Another link suggests that we need to keep our fluids and salt intake up, eat plenty of leafy non-starchy vegetables and consider adding psyllium husks. Milk of magnesia is mentioned as helping to relieve constipation.

(Alec) #46

Blimey, someone’s reading the shit that I write! :rofl:.

Yes, I run, but is it required on keto? I dont think so. But if you read all my posts (:crazy_face:) I have also said exercise has got to be one of the best things to do for your health. But beware CICO thinking with exercise.
Cheers
Alec

(Terence Dean) #47

Haha. Alec I’ve been waiting for you to take the bait! :fishing_pole_and_fish: zzzzzzzzztt!! Finally.

Good we agree that exercise is a great thing to do and helps to get your body systems going. Good for blood circulation, very good anti-dote for food cravings, and getting yourself fitter than before has got to be a plus. I also think that over doing things will not necessarily mean you will lose faster.

(Ron) #48

Dr. Phinney explains weight loss and exercise pretty well in this article.
https://blog.virtahealth.com/weight-loss-ketogenic-diet/

(Raj Seth) #49

“Counterintuitive” really loses meaning when we realize that our intuition is based on a lifetime of disinformation and lies, borne from a religious ideal being expressed through dietary guidelines. (Fettke on history of dietary guidelines, 7th day adventists, Kellogg, Ellen G White etc)

(Terence Dean) #50

Great article @mtncntrykid, there’s been some discussion on the forum regarding weight-loss or lack of it on a Ketogenic diet but this paragraph from your link may explain it better than I can:

being in nutritional ketosis will accelerate the rate at which the body burns fat, and this is a fundamental key to the short- and long-term benefits of a ketogenic diet. If the extra fat that is burned is compensated by an increase in dietary fat, then no body fat loss will occur (but there still will be other benefits)

If a person’s mission is to lose weight, they must ensure that they’re not eating more fat than the body is burning. And this:

For those wishing to lose weight additional rather than remain weight stable, one’s goal should be to reduce dietary fat intake down to the margin of satiety (just enough, but not too much) and avoid or limit non-satiating energy sources such as alcohol.

(Ron) #51

I read that also and thought it somewhat discounted some of what is being said here. I also read that when you are adapted for using fat as fuel that you will burn fat at twice the rate than when you are burning glucose. Interesting!:nerd_face::thinking:

(Terence Dean) #52

Well these points seem correct for what I’m doing, I’m losing weight consistently. I’m not experiencing any hunger cravings, in fact I’ve got to remind myself to keep eating because I do not feel hunger all day. Its a weird experience after doing calorie-controlled diets in the past where I was the complete opposite, starving all the time, and thinking about food all the time.

I’m real impressed with Keto for this reason and I’m hoping it will translate into being able to maintain my weight once I get down to where it should be. Looking forward to it in the mean time enjoying the journey!

(Bubba) #53

Wow…really confused now! Maybe I’m not losing cause I’m eating too much fat?!:persevere:

(Terence Dean) #54

That’s always a possibility, its hard to know how fat is too much because I don’t know how to measure dietary fat intake to that level. There’s a certain amount of guess work involved I suppose. I sought of know when I’ve eaten too much food for the entire day and I certainly know when I haven’t eaten enough.

I’m a bit fortunate because I know exactly how much food it takes for me to lose weight on a calorie controlled diet, having been through 3 major weight loss programs which failed not because they were flawed but due to my inability to change my long term eating habits. I’ve learned my lessons now and this time the weight is staying off. I just hope I can squeeze some great hints and tricks from the people who have managed to keep their weight stabilized for a long time. That to me is the ultimate goal, keeping it off for good.

(Bubba) #55

I’m pleased for you, seems to be working out well so best of luck in your journey :+1:
I don’t know, maybe this isn’t for me then cause I feel like I’ve gone backwards in understanding and weight. Without exact guidelines to follow im finding it hard, and there is some conflicting advice on here and then it throws me back to the beginning wondering where I went wrong.
The health benefits are great but I do seriously need it for weight loss too.
I’m 5’6 female, 165lbs…I’m averaging <10g carbs, 90g protein and 150-200g fat a day. I lost 7lbs in the first week, lost the bloat, saw shape change but week 2 & 3, I’ve gained 6 of those 7lbs back. It makes no sense to me and I’ve not got it in me to waste weeks doing trial an error and continuing to gain. I don’t want to make my situation worse😢
I feel really sad about it cause I really thought this would be the answer but I’m the kind of person that needs rules to follow. I’m just not good at working it out…get muddled, which is why I think I must have messed things up.

(Terence Dean) #56

I can lose weight on those ratios but then again I’m a male and we do lose weight at twice the rate. Have you gone days without eating carbs at all? I do that regularly.

My wife is a bit shorter than you and is going from 152lbs down to 141lbs maybe from there she’ll do more but that’s her target. She’s all over the place with her weight up some days and down the next but over 7 weeks there is a steady trend downwards towards that goal. We’re eating roughly the same amount but she’s sneaking the odd carb without me knowing (she eventually tells me) and she’s dropped 10lbs in the same time that I’ve dropped 24lbs.

Yesterday she really hit the wall because she finally stuck to the diet and didn’t eat any carbs by 4:00pm she lost all her energy, felt nauseous and had to sit down. I said that’s the Keto flu right there, we weren’t far off preparing the evening meal with pork belly on the menu, so she hung on with a few carbs, and came right after eating the evening meal. So my point is you can lose weight even if you don’t follow the Ketogenic diet to the strict letter but ideally that’s where your trying to get to.

I wouldn’t say you are doing anything wrong based on those numbers others can confirm, but if that was me I’d be getting rid of those carbs altogether and see what happens. We’re all individual so what works for one person might not work for another or produce the same results, there is a point where you need to tweak things to find out what works for you and stick to it until it doesn’t work anymore.

(Rob) #57

I’m pretty sure it’s been said several times… in the first few weeks of keto (and especially for women) ALL BETS ARE OFF and all this arguing about theoretical models of fat processing etc. are only… theoretical. You can read and understand all the available science but it is quite possible that NOTHING will make a difference right now as you are reversing years of metabolic harm. If you quit now, it won’t be a failure of keto but of patience.

Feel free to adjust your macros however you’d like but I like them (I think higher fat will shake your body up to be a better fat burner faster - but I can’t support that with more than anecdote :crazy_face:) but if you want to cut it back for a while (but not to a deficit) it probably won’t hurt or slow you down (much?). The thing is you have to give it more time. I didn’t lose for anything but a bit of water for 6 weeks and I was in prime obese male “fast loser” territory. Please have patience. :pray:

(Ron) #58

I will 2nd Rob’s suggestion and repeat that your body is busy repairing other more serious problems that take priority over the weight loss. After my initial water loss in the beginning, it was 10 weeks before the scale started moving. As suggested, patience.:ok_hand:

(Bubba) #59

Thank you, i appreciate the help and I will soldier on, just finding it really hard to eating 3 meals keeping protein to around 70 or so. Seem to find myself just eating mayonnaise!

(Ron) #60

Protein has some wiggle room. You can go from .07 to 1.5kg of LBM . It isn’t as critical as keeping the carbs below 20g net.

(Bubba) #61

Well I’m never really over 7-8g carbs, so that helps…thank you!

(Jo) #62

I haven’t read the entire thread but my experience so far was that I lost about 9 lbs the first week, then stalled going up and down 5 lbs. At week 7 I started trying out intermittent fasting, it didn’t budge the scale, then I did a 24 hour fast, followed by a 48 hour fast, a 3 day 1700 cal eating period and another 48 hour fast. I lost 6 lbs in that week an a half, and they stayed off. This is just my n=1, but idk if you have tried fasting but that might be a logical next step if you think you are fat adapted.

Fasting 48 hours was easy. Next up for me is a 72 hour fast. I want to work up to 5 day fasts as the benefits of fasting largely happen after the 48th hour. I am fine with losing slowly. It came on slowly and I know there’s processes going on inside that require time to heal.