New to this and keeping records

I’m in my early 40’s and just started keto today. I’ve never done this before and have basically read as much as I could. I’ve downloaded the MFP app and am tracking things that way, but I’ve also got myself started on a blog where I can basically record my keto journey. I know my body reacts to changes really fast, and despite this being my first day keto is no exception. So I’ve got myself some potassium and electrolytes and i’ve realised that I’m going to have to go slower and not try to leap the moon before I even get off the ground. I’m telling myself that’s okay tho… looking forward to learning lots on this forum!
I’ve never counted calories or whatnots, this is definately a whatnots counting thing… so i’m geared up. What’s your favourite way to keep track of macros?

(Pete A) #2

I hope you have plans for a one pound steak! Or whatever your pleasure…

My first few days consisted of unlimited eggs, bacon, butter, fatty meats and fish… I wouldn’t put a carb (but veggies) past my lips.

Good luck!

(Liz ) #3

Welcome! I weigh all my food & use My Fitness Pal, ignoring the calories & just keeping track of my macros. I have a tendency toward too much protein so in the morning I log food I expect to eat during the day to be able to tweak my menu if it looks off.

Keto is definitely a months long thing rather than a days or weeks thing & it changes for you as you go. So patience & wonder will be your friends. Good luck!

(Dan Dan) #4

I love it :heart_eyes:

A Pound of Fatty Meat and a Pound of Mixed Veggies and a side of Butter :star_struck:

(Pete A) #5

Them be da rules. :flushed:

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #6

LOL, and this whole time I thought I had came up with the perfect way to tweek my daily intake. You probably thought of it before me. :nerd_face:

(Candy Lind) #7

I dunno, that might put her over on carbs! :dizzy_face:

(Tubeman) #8

I think anyone trying this diet could benefit from using a scale for the first month or so at least. Kitchen scales pretty cheap for how useful they are. Overeating some things is super easy if you’re relying on guesswork, and you’re likely to err on the side of eating too many carbs if you’re not careful. We’re experts at deceiving ourselves.Scale make self-deception a little harder.

Eventually you get the hang of how much you can eat of various things and the need for a scale falls off, but it can be good to go back to the scale and re-calibrate your diet if you run into issues, and if you know how much you’re eating now, finding and fixing problems later will be easier.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

MFP. But don’t track calories. Don’t worry about calories, except in the larger sense (e.g. eating 10,000 and being upset about lack of scale movement). Just keep your carbs low and your fat high.

It’s good to measure. Beyond the scale, it’s easy to keep track of a few measurements (waist, hips, chest, biceps, thighs) and see the progress.

It’s great to log. I recently found my log from 11 years ago, and it’s a personalized roadmap for success.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #10

Seconding the use of a scale for a while.

I’m not (yet) tracking macros, but I am tracking other things… blood glucose, blood ketones, blood pressure, weight.

I’m using a spreadsheet to do it. I’ved added a notes column for recording things like food eaten, exercise performed, or supplements taken in the event that I see numbers significantly higher or lower than normal.

(Dan Dan) #12

Most low carb mixed veggies are under 20g net carbs a pound :heart_eyes:

I buy frozen cheap mixed veggies and stock up because I’m lazy and cheap :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(TJ Borden) #13

Agree. “Mixed” can be dangerous since the cheaper veggies often used are the higher carb ones

I don’t track macros, I track results.
The stats I care about include: weight, % body fat, sleep, activity, RMR, HR (resting and exercise recovery), glucose and ketone levels.

The only time I’d care about macros would be if I needed to chase down reasons I wasn’t getting a desired result (ie. why my BG was high).

(Dan Dan) #15

I have no problem finding cheap low carb mixed veggies :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks Pete. Yes, so far it’s eggs, and fish (in limited quantities) and lots of cabbage and brocolli (also measured for the carb quantity that may be hiding there!) So far day two not a single “customary” carb has crossed my lips. I’ve got the tea going with butter and cream and made some lovely chicken broth with just onion and herbs (and butter and oil) for a snack late afternoon when I usually have a dip. Just a little goes a long way.

Gosh how did you navigate the quagmire without the macros? Just delete obvious carbs?

I literally weigh out the various veg and use the app to calculate the carbs for each then add. At this early stage I’m still very “anal” lol… I do overthink things I guess.

Thank you. I am logging everything and also keeping track of measurements, especially the ones used for calculating body fat percentage - there are great calculators online for that as well. So BMI, fat percentage, and general measurements being tracked. I’ve gone a bit mad scientist on this.

Thank you for the encouragement Lizin. I see most people log in the morning; I have my list for the day as well, and will try to be patient.