New to keto omad

(Ashley) #1

I have no idea where to post this. I am new to keto as of march 23rd 2018. i have lost a total of 11 lbs (had a few cheat days when family was around.) I stopped cheating but still am doing good. I work 10 hours a night on a job that i cant really sit down to eat, also theres no where to store food. I am looking into intermittent fasting. I have done some fasting and keto in the past, but very lazy keto. I would like to do One Meal A Day, due to the fact i dont get breaks etc at work, by the time i get home im very tired due to a decent drive to and from work, i sleep as soon as i get home. i eat around 1200 calories a day due to the fact i am very sedentary ( i cannot exercise much due to vertigo etc) i have a 1400 calorie resting rate so im giving myself a 200 calorie daily deficit. I am having a hard time knowing what to eat, i know i should be about 70g protein and around a bit over 100g fat. i keep under 20 net carbs. problem is i can get in the protein but i think i go over it alot at times, and i dont get enough fat. if anyone knows anything that can help, especially one meal a day with them macros i would love any suggestions, also would like to keep it as cheap as possible as i have two other people in my household to feed that cannot eat keto due to dietary restrictions.

FASTING HELP
(Rob) #2

Welcome to keto!

First, I would investigate the experience of other third/night shifters for more advice about how to handle it in a keto way. Here are a couple - use search to find more.

You don’t need to and shouldn’t focus on a deficit in the early stages of keto. Eat the 1400 calories (or more) and focus on getting into ketosis and fat adapting. A deficit at this stage is more likely to slow the metabolism and slow fat adaptation rather than speed it up or lose more weight. You will probably be able to lower calories naturally and effortlessly once you are able to use body fat instead of food for energy (usually 6-8 weeks).

You need to pick fattier versions of your proteins. Lots of good threads on here about that… search for them. If you do that, it becomes easy. No skinless anything, no red meat with the fat trimmed off. Get the fattiest steak, joint, bacon, etc. you can and your macros become much easier. The other thing to do is to cook your vegetables in fat, either cook in butter/bacon grease etc. or pan/deep fry things. I pan fry my Brussels sprouts which gives me crispy sprouts and a tablespoon or two of bacon grease without having to eat butter or drink olive oil. Cheeses, nuts (esp. macadamias), deli meats, olives, etc. will also give you extra fat easily. My daily brunch of 4-5 slices of bacon, 2 eggs, panela cheese, pickles, buffalo sauce and bit of Philly cream cheese is a near perfect 75/25/5 macro meal with no ‘additional’ fat. Pan fried sprouts or cabbage with 1 skin-on chicken thigh and a fatty sauce is the same. My typical dessert is some sugar-free jello with a few berries inside it, and a dollop of sweetened whipped cream. Great way to get fat in a yummy way. I whip up a Tupperware box of cream (whip it real good) and it lasts up to a week before breaking down. I can then have a spoonful on anything at any time. I pot roasted a large beef chuck roast (6lb) (cheap, on sale) with lots of liquid and some vegetables and I had an awesome beefy/veggie broth/soup for days and enough beef for many (10+?) meals eaten hot or cold, with the soup or with some vegetables.

On the subject of OMAD, it may be logistically the best for your situation but it might not be the best for your goals. Apparently, it is better for maintenance rather than weight loss or body composition changes. Even if you do it for a while, your body will likely get bored with it anyway so you will need a plan B anyway to shake things up. You might want to alternate OMAD and 2MAD and even incorporate fat snacks within your IF window if your meals are still fat deficient. Little bags of nuts, cheese, deli meat, deviled eggs, etc. can all come from home an be eaten at your desk (and don’t even really need refrigeration if you are going to scoff them within a few hours). Then cook up something nice at home.

May I ask what dietary restrictions prevent your family from joining you on keto… medical or voluntary choices?

(Dan Dan) #3

12 ounces of fatty meat cooked in fat (butter, lard, oil)
12 to 16 ounces of mixed low carb frozen veggies cooked or topped with your favorite fat (butter, mayo, cheese, sour cream, cheese sauce, Alfredo sauce, olive oil)

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Ashley) #4

dan, do you do OMAD then? does that equate to around about a daily worth of a meal?

(Dan Dan) #5

its 1200 kcals plus how much fat you add, a spoon of butter, 1 oz of cheese, 1/4 cup of sour cream or cheese sauce are about 100 kcals each.

If I OMAD my feast is 2000 kcals no exercise and 2500 kcals with exercise (50 net carbs I will stay in ketosis)

If Every Other Day or 3 to 4 day fasts my feast is 3000 to 3500 kcals. (75 net carbs I will stay in ketosis)

Every feast includes appetizers, main course and dessert.

I know the general macros and calories of the servings of all my favorite keto foods so its easy to meal plan.

If more than one meal just divide by number of meals. (this is an example of my OMAD divided up, yes I have breakfast, lunch and dinner in one meal and it takes 2 to 3 hours to eat)

Breakfast

2 Eggs over easy with Butter/Fat
3 Strips of Bacon

Lunch

1 Chicken thigh with skin with Butter/Fat
6oz veggies with Butter/Fat
1 square dark chocolate or 1 mini favorite candy

Dinner

1/2 Pound Fatty Steak with Butter/Fat
10oz veggies with Butter/Fat
1 square dark chocolate or 1 mini favorite candy
1 or 2 sugar free pudding cups

My favorite appetizers are salami and cheese, deviled eggs, meat balls, nuts.

3 liters of sugar free drink mix

The key is to Know you and know your food.

I lose an average of 12 pounds a month.

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Jay AM) #6

I need to get on your level of fast/feasting. Mmm.

(Ashley) #7

Awesome thank you for the information!

(Ashley) #8

I feel the same way lol! I’m glad everyone’s so helpful here!

Meal prepping is a great help. Cooking up your meat and streaming your veggies a week at a time can give you the macros ahead of time. Takes the guess work out. Purchase containers and pre fill them. Grab and go.