New to Keto, and I have a running question

(Jen Gruber) #1

Hello,

I started keto about 2 weeks ago, and we’re doing it because our pediatrician suggested it might help our daughter, who has autism. So no weight loss goals or anything like that, just supporting my girl. I’ve always been an avid runner and enjoy racing both short and long distances, mainly 5ks and half marathons. I run 5-6 days a week and one of those runs is 6+ miles, depending on where I am in a training cycle. I typically train at 7-7:30 minute mile pace and race at sub-7. I was prepared to experience a dip in my performance while my body becomes fat-adapted, but my question is: once I get fat adapted, will I be able to perform at the same level I was before? I’ve read a lot about people getting their endurance back, but can’t seem to clearly find anyone who also got their speed back. I am just wondering if I’m ever going to be able to break back into sub-7 times.

Sorry to be so long-winded!

(Carl Keller) #2

Hello and welcome Jen.

You might find this thread useful.

Also, be sure to check out the Running subforum.

(Scott) #3

My runs sucked until I became fat adapted (three months). I had zero energy. It gets better and can’t wait for a HM or a full to try out fat burning.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Everyone whose posts I’ve seen talks about getting back to, and sometimes even exceeding, their previous level of performance. If you search the forums, I believe there was someone talking about how his or her marathon time was something like 20 minutes shorter after fat-adaptation.

So my belief is that you have nothing to worry about. Just don’t stress yourself—physically or mentally—during the adaptation period.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Hello and welcome @RunningMamaJen
I have an autistic son, age 24. I am trying to get my son on the keto WOE and his diet is close to some kind of keto/paleo mix now but I am working to go full keto with him. How old is your daughter?

I have started a thread about keto and autism and would appreciate progress reports and any information that you might share. I wish you all the best success and especially for some healing for your precious daughter. :cowboy_hat_face::heart:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/keto-and-low-functioning-autism/76458

(Allan Misner) #6

Yes, but it might be the next running season before you see a full return of performance. Keep your electrolytes in good order, keep your fat macros up, and keep training.

(Jen Gruber) #8

I replied in the thread you sent :blush:

(Jen Gruber) #9

Thanks everyone! It’s one thing to do the research and think you know what you’re getting into but then so much harder when you’re actually there! I’ll just keep trying to do my best!

(Graham Muir) #10

The research ive seen suggests that fat is the main source of fuel for long distance running as it is an aerobic exercise. Anaerobic exercise like HIIT and sprinting require Carbs/glucose as the main source of fuel and then theirs the phosphocreatine system which is used in Weighlifting and explosive type exercises that use maximum exertion for small periods of time. Weightlifting in the higher rep ranges utiliza both phosphocreatine and glucose energy supplies. If you take running seriously you should look at things like BCAA’s, glutamine and creatine. Creatine will help when it comes to the sprint for the finish.

I think everyone is different in that they usually have a body type and that body type determines what they are most efficient at. I am what you called Endopmorph and hold onto fat, ive been told that my bodies preferred source of fuel is fat and thats why i hold onto body fat so easily. Ancestory plays a huge part in this. To think if i were a caveman i would have been at a huge advantage during a food shortage or long winter :slight_smile:

(Alec) #11

I hope you are running well, and are convinced that you can get back to your carb driven speed (and better!). I can tell you that I smashed my 5k PB running on fat, and I am convinced people can run at least as good if not better on fat.