Just finished my second half-marathon

half-marathon

(less is more, more or less) #1

Hey, all, I’m pleased to report my second successful half-marathon. I finished 10 minutes ahead of my plan, 2:35. I started out at 12:30 min/miles, conserving my energy. I pushed the last three miles, dropping my speed to 11:54 min/miles. I’d like to be a solid 11:30 and that’s what I’m pushing towards.

Sugar, sugar and sugar everywhere

One of the more frustrating aspects to these runs is the ridiculous abundance of sugar. It’s everywhere. It’s in “sports drink” gel packs, electrolyte drinks, and the free post-run beer and pancake breakfast. I enjoyed the most delicious IPA after my first half-marathon and was ready to enjoy a beer after this one. The booth offered 5 types of beer. The free beer they were handing out was “Raspberry Ale.” I explained to the young person serving; “I really don’t want a candy drink. Can I have the IPA instead.” “Oh, you’ll love the raspberry ale, it’s not too sweet at all.”

I sip, choke down the sip of candied beer, and return the cup. “Thank you, but no thanks.” I wasn’t alone. Too bad, as that beer after my first half-marathon was monumentally delicious.

I don’t know if my taste buds have changed that much, but that wretched brew was simply not worth it.

The buzz of the run and route

I live in a lovely area. We’ve been hit with an unusually high amount of rain, and they had to make last-minute course adjustments. Since it was near freezing at 7:15 start time, the bridges iced over, and we carefully waddled over the first few bridges. Otherwise, the paths were great, mostly road, some gravel, and trails. I like to say my rosary when I run. I normally put on headphones, but I do enjoy being out with people that I’d rather be “open” to a random conversation, so I kept my ears wide open. I had several enjoyable conversations.

but, but, what did you eat to prepare?

I had magnesium citrate, sodium, and potassium mixed into water before my run. The night before I had OMAD/Dinner, spicy Thai shrimp on crisped riced cauliflower and mixed sauteed greens.

We should all suffer so much.

I had plenty of energy for my run. No desperate downing of those candied gel packs or sugary “electrolyte” drinks offered by volunteers. They had water, and that was sufficient.

As of two hours later, noon, I have plenty of energy for all my normal weekend chores. I do love my LCHF energy thing.

I’d like to make this an annual event.

New to Keto, and I have a running question
Is there a disadvantage to training LCHF then racing while carbed up?
A few days into Keto, running a half marathon in 13 days. Need tips!
(Troy) #2

Congrats!
Great write up :smile:

For the above, what amount did you consume?
Recipe🙂
Did you have 30-45 b4 the run?

Curious
I’m Looking to try this prior to cycling
Always changing thing up!

Thanks

What did you take a photo of on your walk today? (feat. CHUNK)
(GINA ) #3

Congratulations!

(less is more, more or less) #4

It’s the same ingredients as the electrolyte drink available on this forum. The magnesium citrate doesn’t dissolve in water, so it’s a bit, um, “chewy.” I had a teaspoon of the magnesium and morton’s lite salt. I had it about an hour before the run started, though that was incidental, and not strategic. Magnesium has been helpful for sleeping and my leg cramps, that I enjoy its benefits, anyhow.

(Troy) #5

Great info
Thank You