New to Forum. Have questions

(Rob) #4

The lifters around here certainly have been keto for a long time and improved their PBs significantly (e.g. @Rgbigun, @Brenda ) so strength shouldn’t be an issue.

That said, you might expect to lose power for at least some time while your body adapts… up to several months, though at your age, probably not that long. Don’t freak out at this… it seems to be temporary.

What you need keto to do amongst other things is to repair the damage that your months of calorie restriction has done. It hasn’t just leaned you out, it had almost certainly damaged your BMR and driven catabolism of your hard acquired muscle mass for energy. You want to go keto, up the calories to at or above your maintenance level estimate and stick it out as your body adjusts to the new energy availability and raises your BMR, hopefully back to it’s old levels.

Good luck and KCKO!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Ok. Here’s the deal. The point of keto is not so much that you lose weight, but that you gain metabolic health, which often includes shedding excess stored fat. The real goal of this way of eating is to become fat-adapted by keeping your insulin level low enough to allow your cells to switch over to burning fat instead of glucose. Carbohydrates raise your insulin dramatically, but fats hardly do at all, so fat is your go-to for giving your body enough calories. If you are still trying to bulk, eat more protein than the recommendation, which is 0.8-1.0 g of protein daily per kilo of lean mass. But giving your body enough calories is key, and the way to do that is to eat fat to satiety.

Now, during the changeover, your metabolism is going to go haywire, but once your muscles learn to eat fatty acids and ketone bodies instead of glucose, they will be much happier, and so will you. But it takes quite a few weeks in some cases, so don’t give up too soon. Eventually you will find yourself lifting weights that you never thought you could. But—keto is best for endurance events, not so great for explosive power. A 100-mile iron man endurance run? No sweat, no need for gels. A 100-yard dash? That’s a different kettle of fish.

Whatever your goals, get into full ketosis and full fat-adaptation first, then figure out how to tweak it. Keep your electrolytes up, especially the salt (the kidneys excrete sodium much more freely when you’re not eating carboyhydrate)—low electrolytes can contribut to that lack of energy. And apparently so can too much protein, go figure! Also, for now avoid BCAA’s because they interfere with metabolic health if you’re not trying to bulk up. So you should probably not try to exercise very much just yet, until you are fat-adapted. Once that happens, you should see some really good results. There are a lot of powerlifters on these forums, so search for topics that they might be posting in, and you’ll probably read lots of good tips.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

I’m not sure how comparable it is to running, but I can tell you that there is an initial loss of endurance. Actually quite a bit for me. But it was temporary for the most part (I seem to have a random off day from time to time). But for the most part, my endurance has come back and increased.
So if it’s similar to strength training, you may lose some strength as your body adapts, but it should bounce back.

(Pump Big Poppa) #7

Thanks for the advice.
I’m still wanting to cut some more weight and I thought changing up my diet while also keeping my caloric intake low might help. I’ve been on a 50/30/20 (Carbs, Fats, Protein) diet for a very long time and quiet frankly I’m tired of it.

Will have to check those Users out to gain some knowledge.

Thanks for the response!

(Pump Big Poppa) #8

Typically, How long does it take for your body to adapt to a Ketogenic diet? My schedule is pretty full I work 10 hour days and go to school full-time so energy is a must for me.

Thanks for the response!

(Pump Big Poppa) #9

How long did it take you to bounce back? How do you feel on a Keto diet compared To your previous diet?

Thanks for the response!

(Rob) #10

the beauty of keto is that a healthy metabolism is self regulating down to whatever weight the body is happy with. Eat the higher calories, repair the damage and if your body wants to be a lower weight it will go there because it is smarter than your brain. If it doesn’t then you are fighting it and calorie restriction is a tool in your arsenal. The other thing to consider is that keto promotes body recomposition even without lifting (fat to muscle due to the naturally lipolytic nature of the diet) so you may well cut down without calorie restriction. Read other threads about how the basic CICO energy balance theory is BS to stop worrying about calories. You are moving to a WoE that works due to the reality of the hormonal model of metabolism rather than the stupidly oversimplified CICO model. Join the program… one of us, one of us… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Rob) #11

6-8 weeks for the typical older, more metabolically unhealthy folks here. We are all different and we don’t know your exact situation but maybe as little as 2-3 weeks?

To follow on from my last post, this is a good overview of how radically different diets impact the body at exactly the same calorie level.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #12

I’ll give you a little timeline of my Keto journey so far.
I started Keto running 4 miles three times a week.
By the end of the first week, I had already noticed a definate decline in stamina.
This got worse and worse until I couldn’t run a mile without my legs turning to jelly. I refused to just be a lump on the sofa, so I settled for 2 mile walks four times a week, but even that was exhausting. By the end of week 4, I started to feel some of my energy coming back, but it was slow. I was able to add a little more running, but still felt really weak and could only add a little distance each time. By the end of week 5 I ran a 5k (just over 3 miles). It was my worse time, but I was happy to finish the whole thing.
Between week 5 and week 7, the energy has come back and I’ve started running further than before. I hit 5 miles easily. On Wednesday I ran 6. I have a 10k Race a week from tomorrow. I’m currently just over 7 weeks in.

I had a bad day today for some reason. I knew I felt off all day but tried to get a run in anyway, but i tanked our at 2.5 miles. I’m optimistic that it was just a temporary set back.

My goal is to train for a half marathon, so being able to add more distance than pre-Keto runs is making it worth it for me. My speed still isn’t great, but I had taken a hiatus from running before Keto for over a year and was just getting back into it, so speed was way off even before Keto. Right now I’m focusing on distance and then I’ll put some speed work back in.
So for the most part I’d say I’m getting what I want out of it.

(Pump Big Poppa) #13

I’m totally up for A Body Recomp! I’ve been trying to get below 180 for weeks now but just can’t. Once I hit 180 pounds my body started craving fats. I’ve been eating scoops of Smart Balance Peanut butter simply because I can’t help myself.

Thanks for the advice!

(Pump Big Poppa) #14

Sounds like a rough journey. But it seems to be worth it in the long run. I didn’t know keto Running was a thing. I always thought runners needed tons of carbs to help fuel them.

Good luck on your 10k!

(Pump Big Poppa) #15

Thanks for the Link!

Quick question.

My dietary fat intake is very low in polyunsaturated fats possibly a 6:1 ratio should I change that?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #16

That is the common wisdom, but a few elite runners are proving that wisdom wrong. There are a number of Keto marathon runners I’ve been reading from and even an ultra runner (someone who runs 50+ and/or 100+ mile runs) and they are doing it almost completely fasted using their bodies stored energy from fat.

I completed a half marathon two years ago and I want to run more. Some where in the back of my mind on my bucket list I would like to try a marathon, but that’s not going to be for a while.

I only have a little over 10 pounds to lose, and while I hope Keto helps me with that, the reason I started Keto and have stuck with it through a few really rough weeks is for the energy and endurance to run more.

(Rob) #17

NO - we hate the polyunsaturated fats mostly since they are high in the basically toxic Omega-6. PU fats from seed oils etc. are the devil’s food and the next thing to be avoided after trans fats (banned in many countries thank god). Saturated fats are the goal - most stable, least prone to toxic oxidization - and monounsaturated are also generally good (higher in Om3) - animal fats (butter, ghee, high quality tallow and lard), EVOO, avocado oil, coconut oil are the keto staples.

Extreme but extensive view on the evils of Om6’s

https://breaknutrition.com/omega-6-fatty-acids-alternative-hypothesis-diseases-civilization/

(Pump Big Poppa) #18

Nice to see people debunking conventional Marathon running methods.

You plan to stick with a Keto diet long term?

Thanks for the response!

(Rob) #19

I’m pretty sure Me to diets and running are something else entirely :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Pump Big Poppa) #20

I eat a ton of smart balance Peanut Butter. The label says it contains 10 G Monounsaturated Fats , 1 Gram Polyunsaturated Fat per serving.

The problem is that it contains Flaxseed oil. Not sure what Keto dieters think about Flaxseed oil since I read a lot of bad things about it.

(Pump Big Poppa) #21

For some reason my phone auto corrects keto to me to. :frowning:

(Rob) #22

I guessed as much… but you can edit past posts with the pencil icon :grin:

This post helped me a lot with a question I didn’t realize I had, thank you! I have a Peloton bike that I was riding fairly regularly for a while then stopped for about a month before starting keto about 2 1/2 weeks ago. When I got back on this past week, I was useless. I was really down about it because I thought I had just gotten that out of shape, it didn’t occur to me that it could be these early stages of keto. I know I’m pretty well adapted to the diet already, so I figured it was my overall fitness that sucked so much. You’ve given me hope!