(Jon) #1

Hello forum

I’m a 35 year old male. Started keto research in August 2018 and started in honest 02.01.19 with the actual transformation. The period in between was restriction and mental preparation.
I work as a medical doctor so I like doing proper preparations - especially since the current dogma is that fat is bad for you - this is however changing rapidly. I also work with a nutritional nurse which is working with morbidly obese - doing a Keto variant.
Keto transformation has been quite simple and all expected results are showing up.

So far i’m down from 236lb to 218lb and my measurements are even better! Waist down from 110cm to 98cm. My IBS is gone ( nothing to ferment ), any signs of acne/folliculitis gone.

So far -I did not count calories until week 4 just to get keto adapted. And just counting the ones I actually ate showed that I had a diet of roughly 1800 cals feeling totally fine.

I’m walking/ running 2 hours per day and my lactic acid tolerance level is slowly getting better ( it was quite bad first 3 weeks).

My day starts 6am with a keto coffee and then I eat when I feel hungry, and always dinner around 4pm. Copious amounts of water. Often drinking broth with salts.
I enjoy wine and focus on quality food and quality living!

Welcome, and all good to hear.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Sounds as though you are doing well. Please keep us posted on your progress. We have a few other physicians as members of this forum, and the professional insights are always helpful. Your patients will be very grateful to have a professional support them in this way of eating. How much do you have to toe some official line? Can you actually advise patients to adopt a low-carbohydrate diet? (I’m thinking of Gary Fettke and Tim Noakes, whose cases had happy endings, but only after a lot of money spent and anguish endured.)

(Jon) #4

My view is a bit more pragmatic as both fully fledged Keto and variant low carb diets have been around long enough to give a fairly safe stamp on them just out of causality. What we are all afraid of are strokes, heart infarctions, increase in atherosclerosis…

Taken from https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/atherosclerosis

The exact cause of atherosclerosis isn’t known. However, certain traits, conditions, or habits may raise your risk for the disease. These conditions are known as risk factors. The more risk factors you have, the more likely it is that you’ll develop atherosclerosis.

You can control most risk factors and help prevent or delay atherosclerosis. Other risk factors can’t be controlled.

Major Risk Factors

• Unhealthy blood cholesterol levels. This includes high LDL cholesterol (sometimes called “bad” cholesterol) and low HDL cholesterol (sometimes called “good” cholesterol).
  • High blood pressure. Blood pressure is considered high if it stays at or above 140/90 mmHg over time. If you have diabetes or chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure is defined as 130/80 mmHg or higher. (The mmHg is millimeters of mercury—the units used to measure blood pressure.)
  • Smoking. Smoking can damage and tighten blood vessels, raise cholesterol levels, and raise blood pressure. Smoking also doesn’t allow enough oxygen to reach the body’s tissues.
  • Insulin resistance. This condition occurs if the body can’t use its insulin properly. Insulin is a hormone that helps move blood sugar into cells where it’s used as an energy source. Insulin resistance may lead to diabetes.
  • Diabetes. With this disease, the body’s blood sugar level is too high because the body doesn’t make enough insulin or doesn’t use its insulin properly.
  • Overweight or obesity. The terms “overweight” and “obesity” refer to body weight that’s greater than what is considered healthy for a certain height.
  • Lack of physical activity. A lack of physical activity can worsen other risk factors for atherosclerosis, such as unhealthy blood cholesterol levels, high blood pressure, diabetes, and overweight and obesity.
  • Unhealthy diet. An unhealthy diet can raise your risk for atherosclerosis. Foods that are high in saturated and trans fats, cholesterol, sodium (salt), and sugar can worsen other atherosclerosis risk factors.
  • Older age. As you get older, your risk for atherosclerosis increases. Genetic or lifestyle factors cause plaque to build up in your arteries as you age. By the time you’re middle-aged or older, enough plaque has built up to cause signs or symptoms. In men, the risk increases after age 45. In women, the risk increases after age 55.
  • Family history of early heart disease. Your risk for atherosclerosis increases if your father or a brother was diagnosed with heart disease before 55 years of age, or if your mother or a sister was diagnosed with heart disease before 65 years of age.

Although age and a family history of early heart disease are risk factors, it doesn’t mean that you’ll develop atherosclerosis if you have one or both. Controlling other risk factors often can lessen genetic influences and prevent atherosclerosis, even in older adults.

Studies show that an increasing number of children and youth are at risk for atherosclerosis. This is due to a number of causes, including rising childhood obesity rates.

I am a dermatologist so nutrition is not my primary field but, I routinely encourage my patients to research weight loss and especially low carb variants in conditions being clearly related to high GI food. Of course only limited to the patients without risk factors hereditary or aquired.
Examples being Hidradenitis Suppurativa, Acne Vulgaris, Folliculitis, other inflammatory conditions.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Say, doc, I got this rash, see . . . :rofl::rofl:

(Jon) #6

It would be great if anyone in here wants to share a story on hidradenitis suppurativa ( open on the forum) and the keto diet.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

I have a feeling you’re going to fit in here nicely . . . :grin:

(Carl Keller) #8

Hello and welcome Jon.

Unfortunately there’s a lot of biased science around. Often a study is conducted with a pre-determined goal and that goal is often determined by whoever sponsored the study or pays the salary of the scientists.

It is now increasingly recognized that the low-fat campaign has been based on little scientific evidence and may have caused unintended health consequences.
Harvard researchers DRS. Frank Hu and Walter Willett, 2001

Jason Fung says in his book The Obesity Code that heart attacks and strokes are predominately inflammatory diseases, rather than simply diseases of high cholesterol and fortunately one of the things eating LCHF does is that it reduces inflammation, tremendously.

Here’s a link to the resutls 23 studies that compares LCHF vs LFHC that you might find interesting:

Are u implying that you consider keto diet/lifestyle to be a riskfactor for atherosclerosis?

The text you quoted from the study:

" Unhealthy diet. An unhealthy diet can raise your risk for atherosclerosis. Foods that are high in saturated and trans fats, cholesterol, sodium (salt), and sugar can worsen other atherosclerosis risk factors. "

Also as a doctor dont you find it incompetent that other doctors or who ever made that study, lists lot of versions of fats as dangerous first on the list way before sugar, when sugar is the main cause of all that? Every competent doctor in that field knows sugars fuck us up, wouldnt u wanna list high GI carbs/foods along with other sugars first on the list then? In any diet where carbs are present they are the troublemaker, not the fats. Lot of carbs make lot of fats do bad shit, lot of carbs alone do bad shit, lot of fats alone dont.

(Scott) #10

I find it ironic that saturated fat is always labeled unhealthy but our health got worse when we cut it out of our diet.

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #11

Welcome DR.! Enjoy your stay :smiley:

(Jon) #12

Thank you!

My intention was to point out the general consensus for risk factors. Keto does away with most of them for most people.

I did use 5 months to get updated on these matters before starting.

Now I’m in a good pace of losing almost 0.3-.5lba day. I also got a sweet tooth, haven’t had it in quite a while so it’s my brain playing tricks again.

(Nigel Basson) #13

I’m at the stage in my research journey where I’m becoming angry at what we’ve been sold for many years. I no longer have a clue what to believe which is very sad as we are talking about scientists here, a profession you would think full of integrity and honesty as they are dealing with people’s lives. It appears that is far from the case and to find the truth, as usual, one has to follow the money trail.

I found this presentation by Dr David Diamond an absolute eye opener on a personal level as I have been taking statins for years and years on and off. The manipulation of data is not quite to the outright lies stage but it comes very close and for what? The almighty dollar is the answer, 100 billion a year in Lipitor sales alone.
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj7ldyKQnRA](Dr David Diamond)

(Carl Keller) #14

You were probably getting more processed sugar than you realized, on the SAD. Fructose is ubiquitous.

I hear you. It’s the been the same for me but I use it for motivation when I look at all the foods that were slowly killing me. They no longer have any appeal to me.

David Diamond’s backstory is what makes him most convincing to me. Here is a man who stood at the door of metabolic syndrome and changed his life by challenging medical dogma. I don’t see financial or political motivation in his lectures.

Is the concern about atherosclerosis with urself ? Im asking incase you unintentionally happen to scare new people away from keto diet in fear of clogging their arteries with keto diet, which is complete opposite what it does.

What do you mean with “we” ? Also as @CarlKeller mentioned, lot of studies are bought and influenced by corporations to confuse the everyday people looking to diet with more “facts” cause they cant deny the real ones. Just peer reviewing thru studies isnt enough, u need to peer review directly from the people who are on it and read their test results pre/post keto they have posted themselves with zero hidden agenda. Theres a lot of threads i believe u will find useful here. Also good luck on ur keto journey.

(MyLove MyLife) #16

Welcome to Keto Family, All the best. Feel free to shoot your doubts here.

(Carl Keller) #17

@Audibe If you are interested in understanding how and why almost everything we were told about saturated fat for the last 50 years was wrong and was motivated by profit, you should read investigative journalist Nina Tiecholz’s bestseller The Big Fat Surprise.

She says:

I got to understand the magnitude of the vegetable oil industry and how important the demonization of saturated fat was to them. How much they had influenced the science, funded the science. How powerful they were,

Oh my goodness, it was incredibly stressful. As my conclusions became more solid, almost every night I would lie down on the floor of my husband’s study and say ‘I just can’t do this! How can I be right and everyone else be wrong? It can’t be possible.’ And then I would spend hours and hours trying to disprove myself. Is my data solid? Is there any way this could be wrong?

I don’t know what hidradenitis suppurativa is … but sounds bad.

But I have battled rosacea most of my life and all my old uncles had pitted noses. So I have seen dermatologists regularly for decades and went from creams, ointments, etc to daily doxycycline which worked pretty good to daily minocycline that worked great but has a risk of permanent “staining” of the face.

Enter Keto/extended fasting … incredible positive results. I now only take minocycline once a week, mostly out of habit. May ditch regular use and just watch for flare ups. This is one very big non-scale victory for me.

Also have had a noticeable reduction in annoying dry, scaly skin beneath my eyes.

Im aware of the level of money addiction culture specially in the usa, to make colossal profits for themselves at the expense of the ones not profiting from it (e.g. taxpayers bailing out bankers amongst many other examples). Ive been watching the world go at it for a while now (politically & financially) and it doesnt surprise me how human nature is bringing itself and its potential down by the worst elements it has.

I think whats most important for majority of people is dont let it get to you on any level, specially emotionally, treat them the way they are suppose to be treated and dont buy their garbage. Ill give that book a look but im pretty sure its the typical bs they always try/do + fat in diet is quite easy to demonize due its possible effects on internals (if carbs present) and visual obesity.

(Carl Keller) #20

I edited my post to better direct the comment at the OP. I was mainly using your comment as a springboard for mine. :slight_smile: