I don’t have a story, yet. Just getting started with keto and I have Hidradenitis Suppurativa (among other health issues). HS is actually the reason I initially started to seriously research keto. I’ve had it for many years but it was fairly recently diagnosed and the physician literally wrote the name on a Post It and told me to Google it to find out what it is and how to manage it. Hoping keto will help alleviate HS and Grave’s disease (w/Hashi’s) symptoms at the same time. I’d definitely be open to discussing my keto/HS journey along the way though.

(Jon) #22

Hidradenitis suppurativa is one of the worst diseases I treat due to lack of good treatment options. Most serious smoke ( I always have to air out after a day with HS patients) and are obese. The really bad ones are thin due to malnutrition.

My hypothesis is that patients will benefit well from low GI foods / keto.

On a sidenote. I cut my hand really bad ( got it fixed up and will only be a scar ) and two next days body responds to the stress with 1,2l water retention. After pain and sleep normalisation, all went out in 8 hours. The human body is a fantastic machine.

(Jon) #23

Quick update after 6 weeks of keto

Hdl / cholesterol ratio is 3.0
Total cholesterol 4.3mmol/dl
Ldl 2.7mmol/dl
Hdl 1.4mmol/dl

Tad low magnesium

(Cranford Coulter) #24

My cardiologist told me that he believes within five years we will not be worrying about cholesterol numbers, but will instead be measuring inflammatories. He, my primary care (who happens to be his wife), and my neurologist all recommend a low carb diet to help prevent my migraines and strokes.

(Jon) #25

What I see in dermatology is high this increase in inflammation markers and cardiovascular disease

(Carl Keller) #26

Although in my heart I hope this is true, I remain sceptical that the medical field will ever admit they were wrong about the cholesterol hypothesis. Just imagine how much bad medical advice has led to poor health, suffering and premature death. Then imagine how many of those millions would want to to sue for malpractice. The ramifications of admitting they were wrong is mindboggling.

I don’t think they will admit it, but I reckon they will quietly move away and drift in a different direction.

When I visited a cardio for a check and chat, I didn’t have any symptoms, just low HDL, high LDL, he glossed past my cholesterol numbers and kept asking if I ate any processed food, do I eat at McDonalds, … looking back seems like he knows.

(But that didn’t stop him from trying to push me into an angiogram even though I have no symptoms whatsoever…)

(Cranford Coulter) #28

But it’s not malpractice if they were following “accepted medical practices”. Now if they continue to use said practices after they have been generally discredited, that is another story.

(Cranford Coulter) #29

I should add that my dad was a medical malpractice defence attorney.

(Carl Keller) #30

Dozens of studies have already discredited the cholesterol hypothesis. Of course it would be difficult to prove they ignored the science but a drastic change in practice would provoke a question whose answer is somewhat of an admission of negligence:

Why the change in policy?

Answer: Because heart disease is caused by chronic inflammation, not cholesterol.

(Jon) #31

One interesting study would be to mark the cholesterol and see how long it’s circulating in different variations of diet.

My fat precentage is down to 25,4% and visceral fat 9 according to Tanita professional weight.
9 is according to my nutritional nurse a tad high so even after 28lbs (start 02.01.19) lost i have more to loose.

Saying CVHD is due to inflammation is like saying diabetes is only due to insulin. Not the whole picture. But without a doubt - systemic inflammation of vessels is a major risk factor for CVHD.

The atherosclerotic deposits we see in autopsies are just the endpoint like the scabs on a wound. That wound might be due to high blood pressure, smoking, inflammatory diseases or genetic makeup.

I must also note - once you have had your finger in someones aorta and its full of fat like deposits you dont for a second doubt the current dogma of cholesterol. That picture is what also drives many of the doctors not diving deep into the material.

(Bob M) #32

Most likely, only to the extent it causes an error in coagulation. Multiple studies indicate people with familial hypercholesterolemia (think really high cholesterol levels) live as long or longer than normal people. It’s likely not the cholesterol that’s killing them.

If you’re a dermatologist, I’ve seen many fewer precancerous lesions, skin tags, etc. since being low carb.

You should visit this site if you want what I think is likely the correct view of what causes heart disease:

It’s the only one that logically makes sense to me. (And I realize logic is not always great with the body; the logic that high fiber carried away cancerous substances and lead to less cancer logically makes sense to me, but has been shown to be wrong in multiple randomized controlled trials.)

(Jon) #33

Skin tags are a sign of early metabolic syndrome in my view. Universally with a higher body fat percentage.

Skin cancer is another story. It does seem that higher bmi gives a worse outlook if it’s very malignant.

Actinic keratosis is aleast in my population something that has a fairly even distribution. Interesting that you mention this, I’ll keep it in mind. Thank you!

Activation of HPV / UV are 2 large pathways.

I’m familiar with Dr Kendricks fascinating lectures

(Little Miss Scare-All) #34

Hi Jon! Welcome to the forum. I’m pretty new also! I’m sure you’ll find a lot of people here really helpful and nice.

My brotha from anotha motha!

(Bob M) #35

Are you familiar with the Warburg effect? See here:

Even more out on a limb, there’s a theory that high PUFA content = more burning in the sun. See, eg:

(Jon) #36

This was unanswered, yeah, I’m familiar with the concepts of it.

Currently visiting the states and just wow.

Food marking here only per serving so it’s just a BIT harder to keep track. And everything and their dog has corn starch / syrup.

I’m used to making always being per serving and per 100g. What’s more is say bacon is marked how many % bacon and how many % water /etc

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

See, your problem is that you come from a civilised country, and we don’t. :grin:

(Jon) #38

Not a direct critique, but food marking should be better. I actually expected more from a country this obsessed with food :wink:

(Jon) #39

Tip for cheap training plans

https://darebee.com

I can’t believe I didn’t find this until recently.

(Jon) #40

quick update here, down to 201lbs so thats a 35lbs weight loss. I am 187cm tall for reference.

Hit a fairly major plateau around 207lbs, found it to be related to eating too much blueberries and cottage cheese. Even if I was in ketosis. This lasted almost 3 weeks.

My previous plateau was around 227lbs.

Tightened up my keto and its dropping steadily.

I’m down 22cm around my waist!

Did ultrasound kidneys / stomach for aorta wall/stones/liver health and no signs of any pathologies.
Blood tests are perfect with no abnormalities.

Keep calm and keto and KISS