New here and need help!

(Garry (Canada)) #7

I might be completely wrong here, (and please forgive me if I am) but isn’t 1200 calories/day way too low for an active 250lb person?

I’m thinking your body is in starvation mode saving every ounce of energy provided.

Would you mind sharing your height with us Kayla?

(cheryl) #8

Keep things simple in the beginning. Just track carbs (not NET – TOTAL carbs) and keep them below 20 – :slight_smile:

(Rob) #9

I wholeheartedly agree with this. You’ve been destroying your BMR with years of extreme calorie restriction. The Biggest Loser long term research shows they reduced their BMR by up to 25% through extreme CR and exercise and then never got it back and thus put on most or all of the weight. Exercise makes it worse since you are eating the same and using more so creating a bigger deficit which scares your body into extreme savings mode. 1200 calories is a baseline for starvation experiments and at your size you would expect to eat a lot more.

You need to ignore the whole CICO premise for a while until you can fix your body. I progressed similarly to you. I CICO’d and exercised madly for 9 months and lost 75lbs but when I stopped exercise and ate a ‘normal’ number of calories I would regain weight. I stabilized at 40lbs lost and could not shift it again even with major exercise regimes and more CR. That lasted for 2 years. It was only when I got to keto and ate more calories (but all keto things) that I moved the needle. I ate about 2000-2200 calories for about 5 weeks and once fat adapted my appetite fell away and so did the weight. I’m 47lbs down in 4.5 months.

If you work the keto plan (low carb, moderate protein, fat to satiety) the calories will most likely take care of themselves. A big thing to look out for is this satiety issue. You’ve been starving so long you may no longer have good satiety signals. Listen to the latest 2KD podcast and try to eat more (fat) and don’t worry about exercise for now. A lot of this is about experimentation. What you’ve been doing isn’t working so change it up even if it may seem counterintuitive vs. traditional CICO thinking.

The other thing to consider is that you don’t need as much protein as you calculations suggest though the key thing is to more than double your fat intake. I started higher protein and have since dialed it back and lost faster but it is critical to get fat adapted first and worry about fine tuning as you get stronger in craving control, appetite etc.

(Roy D) #10

The breakdown of macros don’t look too bad. If it were me, I’d lower the protein and raise the fat to targets I’ve previously listed above.

Excessive protein can also raise blood glucose levels (although not as dramatically as carbs)

Sometimes it’s difficult to consume the high amount of fat that is needed on a keto diet. I find this difficult if I eat items such as fish, chicken breasts & low fat beef patties. To achieve higher fat levels, eat fattier cuts of meat (i.e. chicken thighs with skin, rib eye steaks, 70% beef patties, …), or add extra butter and/or oils to the meats and veggies. Use of high fat salad dressing (i.e. blue cheese salad dressing, oil & vinegar, …) also helps. Another method to increase fat in the diet is to eat “fat bombs” and/or drink “bulletproof coffee”.

An oddity that newbies must recognize with a keto diet is a change of perspective of the definition of a “proper” diet. Authorities have for years advertised the “food pyramid”, which recommends a diet with a large amount of carbs. The “keto diet pyramid” almost flips the standard food pyramid upside down.

Note, the above graphic lists the carb level at 20 grams of net carbs (vs. total carbs). There are differing schools of thought whether the carb count should be net or total. I personally count total carbs (not net), others may do differently. I attempt to keep my daily total carb level below 20g (although not always successfully). :smirk:

(Roy D) #11

Help on the above acronyms (my guesses);

IDDM = Intensive Dietary Management
BMR = Basil Metabolic Rate
CR = Calorie Restriction
CICO = Calorie In - Calorie Out
2KD = 2 Keto Dudes
KCKO = Keep Calm & Keto On

(Roy D) #12

Hmm, looks like I just attempted to re-invent the wheel here. I was going to post a suggestion to the board to define acronyms, but found the following pre-existing post (click on the “WIKI: Acronyms” hyperlink in the post below for a list of acronyms commonly used on this board);

(Sarah ) #13

The Lasix is a huge red flag, that something medical is going on. That’s not a drug that’s given for tuneup, or general weight loss purposes. Have you seen a Dr since then? I’d look for a second opinion/ someone more communicative, you didn’t feel that dr was able to communicate why s/he prescribed lasix.

(Troy) #14

This
1200cal appears on the low end for intake

I started off w CICO as well, way back
About 1200-1400cal a day

Did I loose weight? Yes
Did I feel good? No. Not at all!! I was weak, tired, got headaches, lack of focus and energy
Just miserable to be around

Fast forward, once going KETO
NOW, I can eat twice as much
Loose and maintain
And I feel awesome !

Any ways, welcome aboard Kayla

Good Luck!

(Jane) #15

Just a couple of suggestions based on my experiences. If the scale hasn’t budged in 5 days then that tells me you are weighing yourself every day. It will drive you crazy it you let it. Even if you can’t resist the temptation, only pay attention to the weekly numbers… and even then they don’t always reflect fat loss.

You should take measurements as well as weight yourself. Some weeks I would lose pounds but no inches. Some weeks inches, but no pounds. Some weeks both. Some weeks neither. Maddening, I know!

Keep in mind you are in this for the long haul… take the eating advice here on the board of veteran keto’s and you will be fine. Gotta give your body time to adjust.

(Kayla Suprynowicz) #16

5’4!

(Kayla Suprynowicz) #17

I decided to try 1400/1500 calories a day and today I got 87g of protein, 22 carbs (not net) and 102g of fat. The first few days my ketostix were about moderate but now they were small yesterday. Haven’t tested today yet.

(Kayla Suprynowicz) #18

No but with the swelling my doctor wanted to try it. Still don’t know what the swelling is from? I don’t take it everyday but even when I do I still have some

(dianalynn sparkman) #19

how do i get to the message board?

(Randy) #20

The initial “Whoosh” of weight loss that many (but not all) get right away is mostly water. Keto is the best diuretic ever. :smile:
Since you’ve been taking something that reduces swelling, you may not lose a lot of water.

The biggest thing I see with new folks is that they want instant results. (who doesn’t). But it takes time to become fat adapted. Your body is still waiting on the glucose to come. I believe that it takes 4 to 6 weeks for (most) people to effectively “run on fat”. It’s an amazing feeling once you’re “there”. You must reduce your insulin levels over a long period of time for your body to fix itself. Keep Calm And Keto On is often stated around here for a good reason.

Welcome, and good luck! :slight_smile:

(Garry (Canada)) #21

Thanks Kayla,

According to my input of your macros, you should consider the following:

175g fat
90g protein
20g net carbs

This is a 2000 calorie allowance which is based on your details provided above giving you a 20% calorie deficit with the correct F/P/NC ratio for success with keto.

Good luck.
Garry.

(Roy D) #24

I’m sorry, I’ll need more help to understand specifically what you are asking.

Are you asking how to get to;

1. the posts from @Juke88,
  2. The Butter Bob YouTube videos,
  3. The “2 Keto Dudes” and/or “The Obesity Code” podcasts,
  4. the WIKI Acronyms page, or
  5. something else?

(dianalynn sparkman) #25

sorry for the misunderstanding. I was having issues getting my message out there.

(Kayla Suprynowicz) #26

Thanks! I made it to about 110g of fat yesterday, and was testing small to mod for ketones. Question for everyone, does anyone else have a gluten allergy or intolerance? I’m thinking that might be the cause of the swelling. I’ve been very careful about what I’m eating and realized that there’s gluten in some things I was eating daily even when I was cutting out carbs

(Sarah ) #27

IDDM is a common medical abbreviation for “insulin dependant diabetes mellitus” as well

(Ethan) #28

Yeah. IDM = intensive dietary management (one D).

Is IDDM (insulin-dependant diabetes mellitus) T1? Or is it also used for T2 who just take MORE insulin to supplement the already high insulin?

PS: Can we change IDDM to I don’t deny meat?