New - fiding it hard to eat fat

(Shira Harrison) #1

HI,

Day 4, already have ketones (based on a urine test and feeling the feeling the flu).
I am keeping carbs under 20 (I am using an app to track everything I eat) but I am struggling with finding food high in fat and low in protein.
I don’t eat bacon (I am keeping kosher)

Any advice for foods that are not too high in protein (as I am reading it can get you out of ketosis) and higher in fats?

Thank you!
Shira

(Carol M) #2

Make sure you get enough salt, it will help with the feelings of keto flu. Also, Mg is good to supplement.

High fat suggestions:
avocado
Heavy whipping cream
olive oil
avocado oil
butter
ribeye steak
macadamia nuts

AVOCADOS!
Cheese sticks/snacks
Make some coconut oil fat bombs
Nuts (almonds, pecans, macadamia)
Low sugar peanut butter
Melt butter over tender veggies
Cabbage steaks ( cabbage cooked with olive oil)
Deviled eggs with olive oil mayo

(Carol M) #4

healthy fats in mayo ONLY if you make your own with avocado oil or buy the good stuff!

There is no such thing as a good mayonnaise that you could buy in a jar.

Ok well thats not true. Depending on how strict your keto ways are, Im happy you have the time to make your own mayo to suit your needs. But to blanket all store bought may as bad is too hyperbolic for a thread where the person is asking for assistance.

The poor girl is new to keto and doesnt need to feel like she has to make her own mayo on top of already struggling with finding fats.

Store bought is totally fine! But i would make sure you get the olive oil type.

You can’t even trust most store-available olive oil, most of which is majority vegetable oil, so it’s not hyperbole to suggest that the quality of industrially produced mayonnaise is dismally poor.

No its fine. Using store brand olive oil mayo on the occasional deviled eggs or a lettuce wrap contaminated with vegetable oil wont make or break you.

heh, not eating any gerbil food sorry … :grin:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #11

A lone voice in the wilderness says that maybe you shouldn’t worry about the protein until it’s a problem for you. Eat real food.

(Ellen) #12

Do you cook? If I’m doing a curry I’ll often use extra coconut oil, fry the garlic, spices etc then pour some off, once it’s chilled it’s a great savoury fat bomb.

I agree

Keep in mind, it doesn’t really matter what you’re choosing to eat for your protein, just make sure to add some additional fat to it. (I believe this is easier than searching for foods that meet your needs alone.) Here’s just a few ideas that I’ve been getting my wife to try, who was pretty much struggling with the same. … Hope it helps.

Also, I’m not all that familiar with being Kosher, so if I mention other things you don’t eat, apologies.

Scrambled eggs? - Add some HWC (Heavy Whipping Cream) to the eggs when you stir them, then fry them in plenty of butter. (When in doubt, butter can be your best friend. One fat that can be added to most anything.) You can also make deviled eggs, with mayo, mustard, or add in other stuff you like. I like adding pickles, which also adds some good sodium, so it’s a win, win.

Meats - Whether you make some chicken, steak, hamburger, pork-chops, etc. Try making a sauce to go with it. One of my favorites is taking pretty much even amounts of Butter and HWC and cooking something like mushrooms in it, cooking it until it starts to thicken. Then pour this over your chosen dish. (As some my have noticed, I love mushrooms on about anything, or by themselves. (They are a good source of fiber and potassium and add nicely to most dishes and also adds flavor. But this sauce can also be used for a lot of things instead of mushrooms. I have done squash & zucchini cut in small cubes, onions, etc.) Just experiment.

Fatbombs - As some mentioned above, making some fatbombs can help get some fat into your meal, but I wouldn’t over-do them. Just use them as a tool to help you eat to satiety. There are many recipes that can be found on this forum, as well as on-line. Just run some searches for things you think you would like. You can always make small portions to have around, in case you get overwhelmed to indulge from time to time. :slight_smile:

I would recommend reading the forums here, to which you will no doubt learn a great deal about living a keto lifestyle, as well as get a whole lot more ideas for what you might want to try to incorporate into your meals. I actually find a great thread to peruse for ideas is ‘What did you Keto today?’ Which can be found below.

*Note: As well as butter, you can add cheeses, cream cheese, yogurt, mayonnaise, full fat salad dressing, etc.

Good luck!

(Taleisha Collins) #15

I make “Fat Plaster” (my husband named it because he said it reminds him of plaster, lol)
1 part full fat cream cheese, 1 part coconut oil, and sweetener of your choice (I use SF Torani syrup… the s’mores is my favorite right now). Mix the sweetener into the cream cheese, and then mix in the coconut oil until it all combines together… and eat it.
Depending on how big a batch you mix up, it basically pure fat :wink: I found it helpful in the beginning to help boost my fat numbers if I was running short, but was close to my carb count for the day.
Hope this helps! Best of luck to you!

(Martha Mac) #16

Cook up broccoli, kale and zucchini in a big spoon of coconut oil salt and pepper then add heavy cream when done and pour it over a wagyu rib eye that you’ve already smothered in garlic butter.

Until now…

My grocery score carries this too. Despite my avatar I’m not affiliated with the company in any way! Just a huge Mark Sisson fan.

One caution here. Often if it says “made with olive oil” it just means it has some olive oil in it (along with others such as soyben and canola). I’ve been fooled on that before.

Why would I buy that instead of making it myself in about 2 minutes at a quarter of the price with Mediterranean olive oil, local farmer’s eggs, and French mustard ?

Sorry. I misunderstood your post. I didn’t interpret it to mean that you personally would prefer to make your own. I thought you meant that there was no good mayonnaise that you could buy in a jar. Making your own the way you said is always preferable to any store bought, for sure.

(Michelle) #20

I second the Primal Kitchen mayo. It’s really good.
If I need fats without protein I eat avocados, olives, and sometimes in a pinch a spoonful of coconut oil or MCT oil (careful with that :poop: )

(Lonnie Hedley) #21

Yep, labels can be sneaky. Always a good idea to read all the ingredients.