Need casserole ideas! Help!

(Karen Leigh) #1

My partner and I have been on keto for almost 3 years and have explored scores of recipes. My favorite thing is to make casseroles as this gives us a couple days of evening meals with no cooking for me. The problem is finding casserole recipes that use beef. We are tired of chicken, cheese and broccoli and over the past couple !of years I’ve added different ingredients to make it a bit different. I’ve also made Mexican casseroles, Italian casseroles and a hodge podge of others using beef. Does anyone have a recipe that might tempt our taste buds? Please help! Summer is coming and I don’t want to be cooking every night! Thanks in advance for your ideas.

(Bob M) #2

Here’s a lasagna recipe:

We’ve made this a lot, but usually add less butter:

Both of these are better if you make them one day then eat them the next day or later.

If you search for “keto cabbage casserole”, there are tons more.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

The Joy of Cooking has a recipe for Hungarian goulash that is quite tasty, even leaving out the vegetables.

You mean, just a basic Hungarian stew (keeping the onions and using very little water. the copious amounts of paprika is obvious for both)? That’s tasty too, indeed and it’s a main dish while goulash is a hearty soup.
Stew is my favorite way to eat beef (I usually buy leg and I’ve read that’s the best for it. I don’t know but it’s great indeed) :slight_smile:
Adding sour cream isn’t common but many people like that including me. I don’t do the red wine version but that’s very popular for red meat stews. Even for a simple stew, there are versions, we (Hungarians, I mean) just don’t tend to add more vegetables (though some people use peppers and tomatoes, they put them into everything in small amounts… I only use onions for meat stews).

I make a baked ziti using cauliflower and a lower carb pasta sauce.
Cook ground meat (I have used ground turkey or sausage) then add sauce, and bite size cauliflower pieces (I cook frozen cauliflower until it defrosted enough and then chop) to the pan. I mix the ricotta, mozzarella and parm together then layer the sauce mixture with the cheese mixture and cook until melted together.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Probably. The recipe calls it goulash, but who knows where the authors’ family got it from? I’ll have to try making it with sour cream, that sounds like a great idea!

(Wendy) #7

Zucchini casserole is great. Layer Zucchini and cheese. Add 6 to 8 eggs, depending on how big the dish. Top with cheese and bake. Till brown. @375
ALSO: Chicken enchiladas. Just substitute the regular tortillas for the low carb ones. :yum:

(Jane) #8

These were absolutely delicious if you have an instant pot! I made them with chicken and were not as yummy. Be sure to use low carb wraps.

(Bob M) #9

I’ll have to ask my wife what recipe she made. It might have been this one, but if was not, it was something similar. It was great! Completely cured my Mexican cravings. Of course, the kids didn’t like it. But they rarely do.

Beef with green pepper
13 net Carbs (Carb Manager App) unless I’ve messed up!
2 portions

400g beef, cubed
3 or so rashers streaky or fatty bacon
Half a tin chopped tomatoes
Tomato purée (just a little)
Beef stock
Fresh garlic
Lemon pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
Smoked paprika and optional chilli powder
Thyme
1 large green bell pepper

In an ovenproof pan sear 400g seasoned cubed beef in butter and oil in batches until nicely brown and starting to catch. Then cook some nice fatty streaky bacon cut up small in the fat.
Add all back to pan add garlic (1 carb ) + bay and deglaze with a little water, get all the fond off the bottom of the pan.
Add half a tin of chopped tomatoes and a squirt of tomato purée ( 6g net carbs for mine according to Carbs Manager) add a good teaspoon of smoked paprika and if you are that way inclined some red chilli.
Add some thyme and lemon pepper to taste. Check the seasoning. Add a splash of carb free beef stock.
Cook in a low oven for as long as it takes the meat to be tender ( or cook on the stovetop) this will depend on how much beef you used, I find a 400g batch takes about 1.5 hours.
Cut a large green bell pepper (6 net carbs according to Carbs Manager App) into rough squares not too small and put in for the last half hour as the meat finishes cooking.
We have it with cauliflower rice or just as is. The flavour is much improved if you season the meat with salt and pepper the day before.

(Andrew Board) #11

If you are still intersting , there is one recipe of “Uzber rice PILAF” its good!

• Stewing beef 2 pounds

• Cooking oil

• Onions chopped 2 pcs.

• Carrots cut into matchsticks 3 pcs

• Salt divided 1 tsp.

• Black pepper freshly ground tsp.

• Paprika powder 1 tsp.

• Ground cumin 1 tsp.

• Bay leaves 3 pcs.

• Hot water divided 1,25 cups

• Long grain rice 3 cups
    Garlic 1 head

• Ground coriander 1 tsp.

Recipe source : https://topfood.club/en/reczeptyi/main-dishes/pilaf/lamb-pilaf/uzbek-beef-rice-pilaf.html

(Jane) #12

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(Bob M) #13

You might be able to substitute cauliflower “rice”. 3 cups might be a bit much, though.

(Rebecca ) #14

Yes, I use a good bit of Riced Cauliflower in different dishes…as a rice substitute.

(Laura) #15

Linda’s Low Carb recipe site is great. I love casseroles too and she has several that are very good.

(Andrew Board) #16

But it would for 2-3 days, its not for just 1 meal

(Bob M) #17

If you can do that, that’s impressive. I’d eat all of it probably. I was on Pritikin and ate rice for years. I can eat so much rice (and pasta)… I could eat 3/4 pound (dry) pasta, and still be hungry.

(Jane) #18

I assumed 3 cups cooked rice and that is 132g carbs. Way over most people’s limit of 44-66 g carbs for just one dish. Add in the carrots and onions for another 30 g, that puts 1/3 of the dish at 54 g carbs and 76 g for 1/2 dish.

Nope, but if you can handle that many more power to ya!

(Bob M) #19

I followed someone on Twitter who lost 80 pounds keeping his carbs to 80-100g a day, so it’s possible. He was probably still insulin sensitive, though, because he could adjust his weight pretty easily just by as adding carbs or removing them. If he gained some weight, he’d just cut carbs and lose it.

(Jane) #20

That would be my husband, damn him!

I just never would post a recipe with 3 cups of rice on a keto board when someone was asking for casserole ideas. Even if someone could eat that and remain in ketosis, that is not the norm around here, so not very helpful IMHO.

YMMV