Need casserole ideas! Help!

(Bob M) #21

True. Best to say to find a substitute for the rice.

I do eat rice sometimes, but it’s very rare as in on vacation. And I’ve been doing this for 9 years, so I’m not the best person to use to guage what can happen.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

We use riced cauliflower a lot. Even the non-ketonians in the house will eat it, especially if we don’t tell them what it is, lol!

Unfortunately, mashed cauliflower is not sufficiently like mashed potatoes to fool them, however. :grin:

(Bob M) #23

That’s too bad, because I love mashed cauli. To me, it’s a perfect substitute for mashed potatoes. But I also never ate mashed potatoes (had fat in it!). It’s like that mayo people say is really good- I never ate it, so I don’t know what I’m missing.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

I find mashed cauliflower has an “off” taste, compared to potatoes. I don’t mind it; it’s just a bit too far off the taste of mashed potatoes for others in the house. But my taste buds are apparently fussy, since all the keto bread recipes that “you’ll never know it’s not real bread!!!” all taste wrong to me, one way or another. I like the taste of eggs; just not when my mouth is set for bread, lol!

(Bob M) #25

You are not the first person that I’ve seen say fauxtatoes aren’t great. I’ve seen a lot of people say that.

Caraluzzi’s sells them now and they are great. They do have a few additions that add carbs though.

(Jane) #26

mashed cauli is tricky to make and I had many failures before I came up with a method I liked.

I found the key is to express as much water as possible after steaming the cauliflower. I do this by lining a small colander with paper towels, dump the cauliflower on top and add another layer of paper towels. I use a bowl slightly smaller than the colander and press down while in the sink until I can’t get any more water out.

Then I use a mini food processer to puree it with butter and cream cheese.

(Jane) #27

I don’t miss bread, pasta or rice all that much but I really do miss potatoes.

(Bob M) #28

You know, I have never made them. My wife makes them. I’ll have to ask her if she does something similar.