Nausea / throwing up day 3

Hi all,

Some advice please !

My husband an myself have embarked on a 5 day fast. Currently at 60 hrs fasting. I’m feeling great, but my husband has some issues with nausea and vomiting bile. All we had was plain water, black coffee, and some water with himalayan salt. We had the last salty water about 6 hours before the nausea started.

A bit of background: he is not overweight, but does have a bit of fat on his body. He is normally not Keto (eats some bread next to the keto food I make him), but naturally eats mostly OMAD… he does have a history of high cholesterol - at least that is what the GP once told him, don’t have the records of the actual numbers.

Any ideas on what would be causing the nausea? I think it’s best for him to break the fast once he is up to eating again? Currently not able to hold anything down…

December 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)
(Polly) #2

Could be the noro virus. It is that time of year!

Thanks for the suggestion…

Had not even considered anything not fasting related - also since we are full on summer where we live…

He seems fine except for the nausea :nauseated_face:

Does he normally fast? People who aren’t keto or at least LCHF have a very rough time doing them. Honestly may be time for him to cut and run. Takes a lot more time for non keto eaters to successfully fast. Unlike yours, his body actually IS in starvation mode right now. He’s in ketosis at this point but can’t burn the fat fast enough to fuel himself and his system is under a lot of stress.

We did a 3 day fast in September, which went well… although on day 3 he was also mentioning back then not feeling too great…

Decided to end the fast for him… just had some blueberries, hopefully they will stay in :crossed_fingers:t2:

I think the recommended approach in this situation for him is to stop fasting. They say stop if you don’t feel well, uncomfortable is ok but unwell isn’t. Think throwing up constitutes not well.

Just my opinion. I’m not a doctor or fasting expert

(Robert C) #7

It is a long shot but something to think about.
Sometimes people on a fast (IF or EF) overdo the coffee (because it is one of the only non-water things allowed).
Enough strong coffee on an empty stomach can cause issues…

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

I agree with @RobC to cut the coffee to see if it helps. If not then stop the fast. For possible future reference, water-only is the way to go. You can certainly go for 3-4 days without coffee. He might also be overdoing the salt. In my opinion there is no reason to supplement salt on a short fast and very easy to overdo the salt even on a longer fast.

(traci simpson) #9

It makes my stomach hurt if it’s too strong and I’m drinking it black. Same with strong tea.

(Bob M) #10

When I’ve had surgery, it has taken me 1-2 weeks to cut down to zero. And that’s from 1 “cup” (14 ounces) coffee and 1-2 cups green tea per day. It’s possible to cut down, but not a quick process.

How much salt water did he drink?

I’ve been fasting for a long-time, and for me I don’t supplement. As I write this post I’m on day 6 of a long-term quarterly fast.

Too much salt can cause symptoms include intense thirst, nausea , vomiting , and weakness. Kidney damage also occurs. Most people won’t eat too much salt or drink very salty liquid. It tastes bad and makes them very thirsty.

We’re all different, but fasting isn’t some unnatural process you shouldn’t overthink it. We’ve been doing it for hundreds of thousands of years.