December 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

fasting

(Lisa Enns) #11

Lol - I love the way you worded that! I wrote that same carb cheque yesterday, which I hadn’t done for months! Stress combined with the holiday foods sitting around everywhere at work makes it so hard in December! But today is a new day. Doing a 42 until tomorrow lunch. Glad I’m busy! Green tea will be my go-to. Good luck!!

(back and doublin' down) #12

To you as well! And Welcome! this is great place to get a “little extra” to help with the focus. Enjoy the green tea!

So thankful my work colleagues don’t bring in baked goods. (They may be intentionally kind since they know my wellness goals.) I think I’m going to be able to cruise the day ok, and planning to sew tonight to fill up that time. Got the kitchen all cleaned up, so will focus on completing some craft projects rather than putting them off until the week before they go in the mail!

(Mame) #13

I am at 19 hours and I am waiting on my flight. I made it through my weird, ‘I am through TSA, I need to eat to celebrate’ thing without eating anything.

Does that happen to anyone else? I think it’s because I am a bit anxious getting through security in time for my flight. There is always a feeling of relief when I am through and I then want to eat… no matter what! It’s interesting. At least to me. :rofl:

And who knows, I may have an upset tummy post flight and be able to extend my fast past 24 hours…

(back and doublin' down) #14

replace “eat” with “adult alcoholic beverage” and that could be me!

So sewing didn’t happen tonight. Instead, I took time to figure out how to use my local library card to access an online reading thing on my Kindle Fire and now I can ditch the monthly “KIndle Unlimited” fee! There’s another 2 lbs of bacon in that savings!

(Mame) #15

yes the beverage thing makes sense!

So I went to 26 hours, bg=90 bk=2.4 gki=2.08

I was queasy in the shuttle to the car rental and then I needed to get to my hotel. On a whim I googled-searched for keto options and scored big time. I will detail how I broke my fast in my accountability thread as there will be food discussion and I don’t want to go blur crazy.

Not sure what tomorrow will look like fast-wise. I am in training all day so that’s good distraction but there will probably be boatloads of stuff offered that I won’t want…

Hi all,

Currently at 60 hrs fasting. I’m feeling great, but my husband has some issues with nausea and vomiting bile. All we had was plain water, black coffee, and some water with himalayan salt. We had the last salty water about 6 hours before the nausea started. Asked for some more advice here: Nausea / throwing up day 3

No fun :frowning:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #17

Hello all,

@Brenda mentions in this podcast that coffee has a small amount of protein and so she recommends water and salt or electrolytes for autophagy. Argggggg!

So I searched Dr google and got this:

I’m not fasting for a couple of weeks because of targeted healing of a tendon but I may have to cut out coffee. My loose skin is building with recent fat loss.

(Bob M) #18

I do not think autophagy is a “it’s there or its not”. Anyone who does, I think is wrong. As with anything else, there’s a range. I think coffee MIGHT cause less autophagy, but I drink both coffee and tea (usually green) during fasting. Fasting 4.5 days is so difficult that the last thing I want to do is take 1-2 weeks to wean myself from coffee and tea and then fast.

I’d post my ketones and blood sugar, but my ketones after 6 years of low carb are very, very low. Got 0.7 last night (24 hours fasting), 0.2 this morning (32 hours fasting), and I’ll be lucky to make it to 2 by the end of 4.5 days.

I’ve re-injured my two shoulders. So, after this fast, I’m going to start drinking a ton of bone broth/stock. I listed to Kate Shanahan, and she really likes bone broth for recovery from injuries.

Coffee is my only guilty pleasure during fasting… not sure if I would want to leave it put for 0.3gr of protein…

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #20

Bob,

I don’t know and don’t have an opinion. I just don’t have enough information. So I presented this so people are better informed.

I’ve got so much loose skin now I might give up coffee post-holiday for a few months and get to some serious fasting. Just in case. Till then I’m in a healing and growth phase with resistance training (now that I have it figured out and am seeing lean muscle mass growth) and working on a seriously sore tibial tendon.

I’m drinking homemade bone broth every couple of days, taking collagen peptides with Vit C daily, using the hot tub 6 days out of 7 for heat to stimulate blood flow and dry heat sauna when I can get it in. Also 2 physical therapy sessions/wk. It seems to be improving but I can’t be sure which of the above actions are working or not.

Good luck to you and your shoulders.

(Bob M) #21

I listen to podcasts to and from work (books, too). I have heard so many opinions on this. Some people are convinced that ANY calories whatsoever stops autophagy. Others are more reasonable. I have to believe in the more reasonable people. It just doesn’t make sense that there’s a simple “you’ve had 1 calorie, no autophagy for you!” line. That’s not the way the body works.

I have no problem if people wanting to maximize autophagy quit coffee or tea or whatever.

For me, I re-injured my shoulders (one has torn rotator cuff that’s been repaired, one has torn rotator cuff that’s not been repaired) doing something, and they are getting better, but slowly. So, this fast is an effort to help them, along with the bone broth.

If you’re already doing all that, then that seems like that’s the best you can do, from my limited knowledge. What you outline seems like the best path. If you could add red light therapy…:grinning:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #22

Gosh one more thing to spend $$ on. I have been intending to research this. I need to up my research game.

(Bob M) #23

They are super expensive. I’ve listened to multiple podcasts about this, but when I went to buy them, they were too expensive for me.

(Justin Jordan) #24

My goal in December is to do three 36 hour* fasts a week. More or less alternate daily fasts.

Looking back at my records, I find that two fasts a week seems more sustainable, so this is more a personal challenge than anything else.

*More like 40ish, but it’s always at least 36

(KCKO, KCFO) #25

Dang, I missed that bit about the protein. I just got myself to doing black coffee/water only IFing. Guess I will have work a little harder if I want some strict autophagy.

My plan to do ADF got broken, so it is OMAD instead. Appling the “Any fast is a good one” rule and moving on with life.

(Bob M) #26

I think two 36 hour fasts a week is plenty. I know that Dr. Fung’s group advocates three per week, but I personally think that’s crazy. And I’d really like to see a study of these people’s basal metabolic rate over time. With 3x36 or 3x42 fasts per week, I don’t think it’s possible to feast enough to where you don’t get a BMR slowdown.

(back and doublin' down) #27

I’m at 39 and feeling so good I may just cruise all the way to evening and only do one meal today, maybe eat tomorrow too and then do another longer rather than 3 42hr fasts this week. Some of that “change it up” thinking. I am fasting for weight loss and it’d be easy to get carried away maybe…

…and this is where I fear getting carried away. Yet, I’ve heard it said that fasting isn’t the cause of BMR slowdown as much as deficient eating and I am quite good at Feasting! Maybe it really does depend on one’s body composition and more. I’ve got plenty of fat for my body to feast on when I’m not feasting myself.

(Bob M) #28

Dr. Fung and his group could be totally correct. It’s just that when I try to do even 2x36/week, I can’t do it. I can’t eat enough in half a day to not begin to get really cold, so cold I have to stop fasting. I’m trying a 4.5 day fast this week, but that’s only because I did not do that much work around the house this past weekend, and did not exercise as much as I normally do and ate more than I normally would.

However, I’m also down 60+ pounds from where I started. And when I started fasting (about 30+ pounds ago), I was able to do more fasting. Now, I have a harder time.

To me, getting cold is an indication of BMR slow down, though I could be wrong.

(Justin Jordan) #29

I go through periods where I track my food intake (with the caveat that fuzziness is built into any tracking) and as far as I can tell, fasting and caloric restriction don’t appear to have much affect on the calories I’m burning beyond what you’d expect from the actual weight loss.

I’m fairly confident about the calorie restriction part, the fasting part is less robust. But that’s an N=1 kind of thing. I have a suspicion people worry about metabolic slowdown more than is usually warranted, but then…I would.

(back and doublin' down) #30

I’m pretty sure my years of yo-yo dieting destroyed my metabolism. And hopeful that the feasting/fasting thing is gradually rebuilding metabolic flexibility. If my summer experience is any indication, it’s working. There were carby weekends, carby meals out, some sugars, but no gains. And the body kept reshaping. Now that my hiking/backpacking season is over, less activity, so back to a stricter keto/fasting routine that is moving the scale down again as well.

Decided to keep fasting. I’d have to drive home (albeit only 4 min away) and cook something, or I can stay here and work on documentation and stay busy. I’ll eat well tonight, maybe tomorrow too, and then fast Thursday into Friday evening again. Feels both doable and different enough to convince myself I’m ‘shaking it up.’