My last carnivore meal

Chol. and atherosclerosis aren’t side by side as a big connecting factor on its own. When I check reasons, many come up. Obesity, smoking/tobacco, genes, sleep apnea, insulin resistance, stress factors and a few more all can cause this plus it says onset can occur in earlier childhood. atherosclerosis isn’t all cut and dry kinda ya know on direct causes.

I think it is a great idea to research more on it for sure.; When I read possible reasons a person can start heading into this issue possibly in their med future, it also shows that if many of the possible reason why one can land here can be dealt with obviously.

Heal the ol’ body. Healthy bodies move. Function on better levels of balance for nutrients and hormones and more. That in its own self starts better ‘cleanup’ of our insides :slight_smile: If the inner wall of an artery is damaged then the possible buildup can collect in that area for sure but that damage can come from many issues leading to it too.

One thing tho, it is hard to pinpoint truly down some of the ‘direct reasons’ why something can go down later in life. I mean we all lived, ate junk, have stress/life issues, have genetics for us or against us but it isn’t one of those ‘direct connect’ to me in a way. Like I fall and break my wrist…wow…I broke that bone :slight_smile: direct and done deal…but for something like this, many factors do come into play. Makes thinking about personal risk factors alot harder, plus this is actually a very common med issue and it is one that ususally effects older individuals so it just isn’t so direct a I did this, now I got…

just chatting on it :slight_smile: find it all interesting for sure.

Very interesting for sure.

I have no idea what my mothers cholesterol levels are but she also eats a lot of junk food. She’s 87. Cant change her now. Enjoy what she wants I say. But she’s had 2 heart attacks and 5 stents and is on a whole host of medication. She also agrees with me that most people are happy to take pills rather than chainging their lifestyle/food choices. She doesn’t see that she’s one of them!! So good for your mum for digesting your information and thinking about it.

With regards to the soft plaque and hard calcification - I don’t understand why, if it’s the hard stuff thats ok, then why is it that that ultimately blocks the arteries and causes the heart attack. My mums last one she needed it drilled out to get the stent in because it was so bad.

Hi Amanda, I’m just not familiar enough with atherosclerosis, as I’ve just begun reading up on it and have been focusing more on cholesterol, I could be wrong regarding the calcification being better than the soft plaque, I need to research it more, as I’m a novice at this.

I am not a doctor, my wife is. I doubt your diet is playing a major role. Generally, the most common cause of shortness of breath is either a heart or a lung condition. Go see your doctor right away. Besides having discovered your family members have high cholesterol, what other risk factors do you have? High blood pressure? diabetes? Any family history of ASCVD or CD? Ask your doctor to do an ApoB test. If this is over 60 milligrams per deciliter get on the meds right away. Treat early and aggressively. You also want to know the amount of coronary calcium. The New research has shown if you can lower ApoB in 20 to 30-year-olds, you can essentially eliminate ASCVD.

Hi ffskier, I’m curious as to which diet you refer to not playing a major role. A ketogenic diet? Carnivore? A diet high in carbohydrates and sugary over-processed junk foods? As I’ve certainly read there is a link between the latter and heart disease, but because this is an idea both Big Pharma and Big Food would benefit zero from financially, you don’t see this link hinted at in the press. So the general idea is still in the medical profession that so long as all prescribed medication is taken, there need be no further investigation of peoples’ lifestyles and WOEs. They are in fact considered as irrelevant.

I had my lipids done 12 October 2022 and they were well within normal range, I’m happy to share my cholesterol numbers with you.
As to blood pressure, I’ve always had low blood pressure all my life.

12 October 2022 I was also tested for diabetes, as my GP wanted to run routine checks because I told her I was experiencing pain in my legs which I suspected to be caused by peripheral arterial disease. This was disproven, and instead it was discovered to be lipoedema pain as well as varicose. And what was curious is that pain and tenderness went away when I started keto (12 October 2022). It has since stayed gone along with the inflammation and lipoedema and lymphedema swelling. Then I transitioned to carnivore because quite simply, I feel even better this way.

The very slight shortness of breath is more like a desire to breathe more deeply. It’s something I began to notice after my radiotherapy and subsequent Tamoxifen therapy. Everything went downhill after Tamoxifen, as I began to deal with a lot of side effects, though they’ve either tapered off now, or I’ve simply got used to them. But I’ve made another observation, and that is, that since getting into ketosis the side effects from my Tamoxifen have become less noticable and more manageable. As to that slight shortness of breath … Well, the curious thing is when I go for my brisk morning walks I am not out of breath at all. I can hold a conversation just fine. I never notice any shortness of breath outdoors, which makes me wonder if it could also be something in the house I am reacting to, like the central heating, or the chemicals I use to clean the bathroom.

My lungs and heart were checked 12 October 2022 and nothing was found wrong. I am pretty certain if I was to stop Tamoxifen, I’d be feeling a ton better.

As to family history, my mom believes that because her mother had supposedly high cholesterol and was on heart medication. But the more I’m learning about cholesterol and the general medical professionals’ opinion about it and recommended levels, the more I am beginning to doubt whether my grandmother actually required that heart medication. Statins are handed out even if cholesterol numbers are only slightly outside normal range, but there needs to be a lot more research just what impact on quality of life those statins have, and just how healthy low cholesterol is, as from what I’ve read, and I’m still reading up about it, having low cholesterol can lead among other things to cognitive decline, although I’m not sure whether that couldn’t just be the effect of the statins.

My grandmother ate margarine and drank skimmed milk. She ate low fat bread, and pretty much low fat everything, shunning fat like the plague. My mom has been eating a diet sky high in carbohydrates and sugary junk foods for years, and likewise shunned fat like the plague. And from what I’ve been reading such a diet can lead to inflammation and atherosclerosis.

I am currently reading up on ApoB as well. Thank you for your reply and input.

But almost all bread is very low-fat…

Wow. It’s so very strange for me that people eat very low-fat. Even low-fat for the average person is so very strange, isn’t the average, “who cares about health, gimme tasty stuff” people go for tasty fatty-carby things? It seems not everywhere. I try to wrap my head around that since several months with little success… Almost all popular treats, cakes and very many well-loved dishes are very fatty!
Of course some people eats very low-carb but it seems something very extreme to me… And it is in my country as far as I know.

HCLF alone don’t make one sick (unless one has problems with high-carb) but surely the macros weren’t the only problems for your mother and grandmother. But if fat was too low, that was a problem. How one can eat super low-fat and not feeling utterly awful? Fat is essential, humans don’t necessarily need much but more than a tiny amount…

Shinita, I wrote that wrong, it was low carb bread my grandmother ate. Blame my brainfog. My grandmother shunned fat, but she also didn’t eat a lot of junk, although she did like cakes, but she believed in making them ‘healthier’ by using margarine. It was my mom who picked up the habit of eating bakery treats and sugary junk, becoming too fond of sugar over the years. And my dad’s mom ate herself into diabetes by having a sugar addiction.

yea me too in ‘this day and age’ on that the ‘dieting BS mostly never works on lower fat content’ and the INFO out there on how meat protein and fat is key to life for our bodies. I guess, who knows, many just don’t ever reseach ever past ‘how to lose weight’ on the net and they are told by ‘experts’ to eat less, cut fat dramatically and starve but hey, it is up to each of us to go further and learn. Those who learned are on this forum for sure :slight_smile: good post from ya! One thing not as many of us ‘get it’ is high fat and high sugar is the death combo of life. sad but true…ugh

(Allie) #49

Very common cause as it dries the air.

(Robin) #50

We have to remember that sugar is a true addiction. It’s not surprising she can’t fathom giving it up. Baby steps are still progress. Perhaps she can simply try lowering her sugar intake. Forget carbs, that confuses most people. But they understand SUGAR. Just reducing that is healthier.

Oh it’s different for fat-loss diets, I understand eating very unwell there to a huge extent but people living their LIFE on very low-fat?! I am aware not everyone as big a fat lover as me but very low-fat means they must avoid almost everything tasty and nice!

Yes Fangs, the high sugar and the high fat, those really don’t mix well. Unfortunately my SO has such a WOE, which is the reason, I suspect, he is overweight. But I think it can be more damaging than just becoming overweight, over time. And lots of people, they never think about how that cake they indulge in is both high in sugar and fat, although of course if they’ve picked a so-called healthy cake from the supermarked it’ll be margarine instead, which is worse.

It is to me. I gave it up very easily (not zero per year but I am pleased with what I did with it, without effort at that) and while I understand it’s not as easy for others, just CONSIDERING it when it’s about their precious health?
People don’t want to be healthy and I can’t understand why. If they really wanted it, they would put some effort into it…

Finding is hard and stopping is one thing but many people don’t even TRY. They just decide they can’t.

This is a good idea. Less sugar is still an improvement!

key being tho most learned this thru media and more. Most if off ALL media would never live that lifestyle kinda…so…ol’ days way back when in ancient times, did anyone ‘eat low fat’ on purpose?? nope. In our times now which is decades easily we were ‘told and directed’ thru corporations ‘how to eat’ so…just chat as I see it now in our eating thru the eons.

Hi Robin, yes I agree with this. When I was going to cut out cream my body went … gimme back! But cutting it down, comparatively, was easy. Not a problem. So I’ve cut my daily intake of whipped cream (blessed be) from two jars’ worth to one. I don’t want that second jar now. My MIL, told me last time she visited she has given up sugar. And I could tell it was affecting her mood, and she was already missing it. So I’ll tell my mom that perhaps, rather than cutting it out she could try reducing her intake. I know from experience this works, as this was how I lost interest in all the carbs when I started keto.

The sadness of it all is most of the old generation blindly still follows what is written in the press, never questions it, and take everything as fact or truth. Both my mom and MIL, as I’ve said, the loveliest of people with hearts of gold, believe anything and everything so long as it’s in the press.

However, my mom has actually begun listening to me. She has now backed off of my carnivore WOE though she tells me she’ll never understand it. A good while back she listened to me regarding IF and began time restricted eating (as she used to eat long into the evenings), and because of this, a problem she had with her colon that required surgery, has been resolved. Surgery no longer required, she has told me.

Hi Allie, it might be more felt because of that. But I’ve always been a shallow breather, and now I’ve become much more aware of my breath, all the time. I do deep breathing exercises. I have perhaps just become more aware of my breath, but I am also a stress pot. That’s been a lot worse since starting Tamoxifen, so I’m doing deep breathing and mindfulness to help with this.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #58

I can tell you that, for an addict, complete abstinence is much easier than moderation. After all, if an addict could have something in moderation, he or she wouldn’t be addicted to it! But the key to stopping is to have a moment where one recognises one’s essential powerlessness over the addiction; trying to exercise will power over an addiction is an exercise in futility.

Again I am not a doctor. Junk food is never good. Be careful when attempting to analyze diets based solely on their macros. Too much confirmation bias out there, especially on YouTube. The people of Okinawa have amongst the highest percentage of healthy centenarians in the world, they also eat a very high-carb diet (85% from carbs). We can all go after big pharma for a variety of reasons. (Opioid manufacturer PP). Keep in mind that for the vast majority of people, opioids work very well for short-term pain management. Sometimes, pharma is the correct course of action. Occasionally low blood pressure cause shortness of breath, the inadequate blood supply to the heart (Angina).
Seems that you know your body quite well.
Try and isolate what you think the cause is. For example, It may be time to change your furnace filter (HEPA filter) wait a few days and see if the symptoms leave. Try to use only fragrance-free products. This would include laundry detergent. Better yet go on a well-deserved vacation and see if the symptoms leave.
ApoB and Apo A-1c results are becoming one of the main tools in properly addressing ASCVD risk. Look up the Framingham Offspring Study and or MESA.
Dr. Allan Sniderman is a brilliant doctor and one of the foremost experts in cardiovascular diseases. Not sure if he is on YouTude but has written many scientific peered reviewed papers.

Well said.