My last carnivore meal

Ffskier, I think you’re right about the low blood pressure. I’ve always had low blood pressure, and sometimes in the past I’ve been aware at times of slight chest pain, palpitations, but every time I’ve had my heart and lungs checked nothing has ever been found that was wrong. I have varicose veins, and I was given a pair of compression tights. I was also diagnosed with Reynolds because my fingers and toes turn blue, and I have a sensitivity to cold. My GP when I suspected I had peripheral arterial disease took the pulse at my ankles and said the pulse there was fine. Whenever my pulse has been taken elsewhere it’s also been fine. And my cholesterol numbers were well within the doctors’ recommended range. Everything tested for October 2022 came back normal, except I was found to be very slightly anemic. But I didn’t take the prescribed iron, as I was battling chronic constipation at the time. (Gone now on carnivore). I’ve always been slightly anemic, however. I’ve been found anemic at various points in my life. Could anemia cause shortness of breath, I wonder. I do know one of the side effects of Tamoxifen can be anemia.

(Jane) #62

To help out our US friends (using an online calculator, so if my results are wrong, please correct):

Serum cholesterol: 138 mg/dL
Serum triglycerides 83 mg/dL
Serum HDL cholesterol level 80 mg/dL
Serum LDL cholesterol 53 mg/dL

I checked with 2 different calculators and with those numbers I cannot imagine why you would think your cholesterol is high or even an issue.

Here were my numbers from a couple of weeks ago. My APRN called and said my LDL was slightly elevated but was offset by my high HDL so didn’t recommend any drugs ir diet changes,

Total Chol: 283
Trigs: 68
HDL: 148
VLDL: 13
LDL: 122
Trig/HDL: 0.46
Glucose: 84

edited to add: my total cholesterol has sontinued to rise a bit every year since keto, but only becuase my HDL keeps going up - LDL has been flatlined.

Hi Jane, I don’t think my cholesterol is high, though I haven’t checked my lipids since October 2022. But after just 4-5 months on a ketogenic diet, I doubt if they could have changed that much. So I’ve decided to wait 6 months to a year from now, before I have my lipids tested again. It was my mom’s high cholesterol, her LDL cholesterol is 5.0 mmol/L. And a recent discovery of a calcification of an artery in her heart, that understandably led to my mom being very concerned, also regarding my carnivore WOE, as I was foolish enough to share it with her. The way the press writes about carnivore, no wonder it’s frightened her. So I’ve spent the last few days trying to research both cholesterol and atherosclerosis, and of course, it’s a neverending sea of information, ala Dave Feldman’s cautiously optimistic views and some very negative, opposing views. Though I have to say I’m fascinated by Dave and Siobhans’ experiments to manipulate the lipid system. I’ve also read a lot of articles, some studies, and it’s just an exhausting amount really, as my head was never made for science. But for myself and for my mom I’ll do my best. As my mom is stumped about her high LDL.

Yes, anemia can cause shortness of breath. Your doctor may have years of your blood work data. Have him look for the anomalies in YOUR data. I would try short-term iron supplementation (4-6 weeks) to see if that fixes the problem. Look for higher amounts of elemental iron in the formulation (Ferrous sulphate). Yes, there are side effects sometimes, but they do dissipate. Vitamin B12 could also be a problem. I have a family member that has a B-12 shot every week. Her body doesn’t absorb it very well. She discovered this when she did a DNA test and had the gene variant for vitamin B12 deficiency. All is good now.

Easiest way to avoid Raynaud’s syndrome is to move to a warm climate and avoid the cold all together. If that is not possible buy heated mittens and socks (cheap on Amazon) when you have to go outside. I have heard that sometimes stress and anxiety can play a role in this?

Yes it can ffskier, I’ve read that too. It doesn’t help that my Tamoxifen has side effects like this. But I’ve begun getting in shape by taking brisk morning walks, push ups, deep breathing exercises and mindfullness to combat those side effects. Other brands I tried of Tamoxifen were far worse. Wockhardt by far the best. Moving to a warmer climate is not on the cards, I like it here too much, and I’d miss the lovely english countryside for one. I have a very good pair of wool fingerless gloves, however, and a 100% merino wool hat, both of which I live in, and my trusty hot water bottles.

Sounds like you got it covered. The Uk countryside is absolutely stunning, even with all the rain. I have spent a lot of time in the south of England and in the southern part of Wales during the summer months, never in the winter. Stunning and the people are nice too.

But why they don’t just ignore it? I see that people follow their desires in food, they obviously eat cake and pizza and whatnot. If they ignore the glaringly obviously good “don’t smoke” advice, why they follow things regarding eating? Odd. And why they eat sugar then? It’s very obvious that sugar is bad… At least added sugar should be avoided. I don’t get this very selective advice following. Our contry simply don’t have it. Media talks about low-fat, less (red?) meat, less salt, less sugar, more fish etc. and most people just ignore it and overeat fatty-sugary stuff and drink booze and smoke and whatever people do. Of course, even we aren’t resistant and sunflower oil and margarine got super popular decades ago… Maybe this low-fat crazy only reached us lately? I definitely saw nothing of it when I was a kid, everyone ate HCHF except a few people I didn’t know…

But low-fat, fine. It works for some. Not so well for others, poor souls. I can’t even imagine what would have happened to me on low-fat…
But extreme low-fat? It’s unnatural, unpleasant and obviously unhealty… One doesn’t need to research much to see we need fat! We should even feel it. Animals have so much better insticts…

Didn’t she replaced it with something? Maybe she should replace it with something better…? When I cut out sugar (I had cane sugar but even more honey before, not like it matters I suppose… and I always wanted to reduce the amount but it got WAY easier on low-carb), I started to eat sugar alcohols and they were tastier than normal sugar (not tastier than honey, of course :)) and anyway, they were sweet so I kept my big amounts of sweets. I never missed sugar (but I guess I never was addicted to it). Even if it’s not so easy for someone, finding a good replacement may be key. When I changed my woe, I always had a little discomfort losing some of my beloved dishes but I quickly replaced most of them and it got much better.
My SO’s Mom probably miss sugar too but she only uses those cheap common horrible tasting sweeteners (I don’t know how she feels them but she still eats a tiny sugar sometimes so that’s probably tastier… she has diabetes, by the way, obesity and many other problems. she is a smoker too… people and their self-sabotage, sigh…).
But reducing sugar may be the solution for some people. It’s better to quit it though, I know 3 persons who did it with sugar and we all got this wonderful changed sweetness perception :smiley: I never wanted to eat a ton of sugar - and I never wanted to eat a ton of sweetener either. So it was nice. Even when I half-lived on sweets, it was… No idea but maybe 20g xylitol a day? People eat WAY WAY more sugar! And my sweets were definitely sweet and satisfying enough…

I guess it’s often the case but sometimes moderation is way easier. Maybe those aren’t true addicts :slight_smile: Or it’s a milder addiction. I can see very well that a serious addiction needs abstinence. But there are milder ones or even not-addictions where abstinence is just out of question. I have plenty of items I am unable and very much unwilling to give up but moderation? I can do it. And some items where I should use abstinence or face the consequences…
I have one super strong addiction, to coffee. I totally need abstinence there. Well, it won’t happen but my attitude is that I quit and I give myself occasional permission :slight_smile:
Peanut was the other, I learned moderation but sometimes I slipped, it definitely better with abstinence. Good thing I can’t eat any on carnivore, I never miss it :slight_smile: I don’t miss coffee either, usually, I just love it when I feel miserable with a headache (it helped when I was a kid, not anymore but it’s still nice).
It’s just way better without sugar so I think everyone should quit it if it’s possible. But if one can seriously reduce the amount first, that is something but it should be temporal, sugar is just too bad and interfering.

(Jane) #69

That makes sense, although your Mom’s issues are likely from a lifetime of a SAD diet but that is not the culprit in most circles.

Hi Jane, what would you say is the culprit in most circles?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #71

In most circles? The culprits are red meat and saturated fat. In most circles, a high-carbohydrate, low-protein, low-fat diet is considered the healthiest. Despite all evidence to the contrary.

Ah, culprit, I misunderstood the word. English is not my first language, norwegian is so sometimes I get things wrong. Yes, commonly accused, culprit. That makes sense, both the medical professionals and the press have always blamed red meat and saturated fats for CVD. It’s the evening here and so my energy has as usual crashed with the resulting rubbish brain activity.

well ya know sometimes it isn’t just the science and all that jazz, some people can’t fathom dumping all other foods and eating only animal. I mean it is extreme :slight_smile: extreme elimination menu that most can’t ever even consider ‘just eating’ that way. So alot of it can be thought of as ‘a crazy azz diet’ to some easily. Hey I get that kind of thinking from others when they might check out our eating style. But key is many don’t understand ever why we are here. For me the control I have on this WOE is stellar. I was a mess on blood sugar swings. Moderation was useless and more but unless one has these types of issues in big form like me, our menu sometimes does seem off the wall LOL

So happy your Mom does not have surgery in her future right now!!! WOW, even something simple like IF kinda helped her along, more power to her and you are great in giving her some good advice!

Hi Fangs. I suppose it’s because my carnivore is relaxed with cheese, cream and eggs, so I don’t see it as extreme or extremely limited as my mom puts it. I read a norwegian article about carnivore and it made me laugh, the profoundly negative way the reporter had angled it, a sort of glum atmosphere lay over the article’s intro as if to say, beware readers, we’ve entered crazyland, lol.

Yes, it’s fantastic my mom now doesn’t need that surgery as she says those problems are fixed, and having IF to thank her for it. She’s also making small, but positive steps such as considering a mediterranean WOE, though she has a way to go still as she won’t give up bakery treats and sugar, but it begins with a thought. My keto journey began with that, a thought, then some research (this was before my lipoedema was diagnosed). And I still hesitated, thinking a ketogenic WOE wasn’t for me. Then I was diagnosed with lipoedema, and I did some more research regarding keto, as it was believed to be beneficial for both lipoedema and lymphedema. I made the decision then and there, and cut my carbs to 20, easily. I noticed a significant reduction in inflammation and the lipoedema pain. I then cut the carbs down to 10, and subsequently lost interest in those carbs altogether, experiencing a further reduction in inflammation and lymphedema swelling. Fast forward to now, I’m happy on carnivore. So it all begins with a thought, that needs perhaps some time to marture, and then, as you write, a good incentive.

Although my mom says she’s not quite ready yet to give up the sugar in her life, I think the seed is already planted there, having shared with her information about how sugar can lead to inflammation which can lead to atherosclerosis, and I think she’s thinking about it now seriously, and hadn’t really been doing that before.

(Megan) #75

This was my basic lipids panel a few years ago eating mostly processed high carb/fat foods:

Cholesterol: 6.8 mmol/L ( < 5.0 ) H

Triglyceride: 3.4 mmol/L ( < 2.0 ) H

HDL Cholesterol: 0.96 mmol/L ( > 1.00 ) L

LDL cholesterol: 4.3 mmol/L ( < 3.4 ) H

Chol/HDL Ratio: 7.1 ( < 4.5 ) H

This was my basic lipids panel 4 months into carnivore, Sept last year.

Cholesterol: 5.3 mmol/L ( < 5.0 ) H

Triglyceride: 0.9 mmol/L ( < 2.0 )

HDL Cholesterol: 1.08 mmol/L ( > 1.00 )

LDL cholesterol: 3.8 mmol/L ( < 3.4 ) H

Chol/HDL Ratio: 4.9 ( < 4.5 ) H

Vastly improved. What % of the improvement is due to removing plant carbs, and what % is due to removing all processed food, is anyone’s guess. I think it’s pretty clear eating carnivore isn’t hurting me tho. My triglycerides plummeting and my HDL rising to come into a normal range are my biggest wins, imo.

One thing to keep in mind while you’re doing a lot of reading is studies show x % of people responded in a certain way, but others didn’t. Human bodies aren’t all the same. A lot of variables come into play, and most, if any, of these aren’t accounted for in the studies. The only way to know how any woe is affecting you is to study you.

Also make sure you’re reading up on the effects of chronic inflammation too, including what foods cause or are strongly implicated in it. Chronic inflammation is now being viewed as a major causative factor in many health issues, tho I’m not sure how much “mainstream medicine” has caught up to this idea. Ditto what happens when humans are not metabolically healthy. Some people get fixated on cholesterol b/c it’s something that can be easily measured. Being able to measure something, however, doesn’t mean it’s understood.

Hi Megan, thanks for sharing your numbers with me, I see you brought your triglycerides way down, your HDL up, lowered your LDL, and improved your Chol/HDL ratio.

My numbers were (from October 2022) taken while on a HC/LF diet (though I had cut out all refined sugars).

Serum Cholesterol 3.59 mmol/L
Serum triglycerides 0.93 mmol/L
Serum HDL cholesterol level 1.8 mmol/L
Serum LDL cholesterol level 1.37 mmol/L

Se non HDL cholesterol level 1.79 mmol/L
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 2

I am going to have my lipids tested again 6 months to a year from now. My mom’s belief is my carnivore WOE will bring my numbers right up, but she only focuses on LDL, as that’s all the doctors ever focus on, and what the press focus on. My LDL looks from these numbers to be low. 1.37 is way below the doctors’ reccommended level which is 2.0. And I have read that LDL when it is too low, is also a problem, in that it can lead to cognitive decline and increase all cause mortality. My triglycerides also look low, like yours were last time you tested. My HDL was higher than yours (when you first tested) but very close to your HDL level in your more recent numbers.

You are right of course that ultimately we can only study ourselves, because it’s all so individual, and at this point I have no idea what my carnivore WOE will do to those numbers I shared with you. I could end up being an LMHR, but I just wouldn’t know at this point.

My mom is majorly concerned because her LDL cholesterol was measured to be 5.0 mmol/L. I thought it was her Serum cholesterol, but was wrong as I reread her email to me, it was LDL. And there has been discovered a calcified artery in her heart. But she has had a whole host of health complaints over the years and chronic inflammation, and I’ve pointed out to her that sugar and too many carbohydrates are bad but she’s not there yet with the understanding.

When I was diagnosed with breastcancer 3 years ago, I gave up sugar. It was an easy decision. I believe that was a first small important step, however I still suffered with chronic inflammation. Joint and muscle pain, dizziness, brainfog. Fast forward to my lipoedema diagnosis (October 2022) and I started keto. Major improvement, as simultaneously as I began this WOE I gave up all processed food, and, I think more importantly, all gluten. I quit eating bread. I did take a coeliac test, the results of which came back abnormal but not abnormal enough for my GP to think any action was required. But because gluten made me feel quite ill, I only ate 4 slices of bread everyday a few weeks before my coeliac test was taken. Now my mom eats a lot more wheat and gluten than I did, bakery treats, biscuits, cakes, pasta, etc. And I believe her body is affected the same way as mine was, but because she also took a coeliac test and it was negative, she’s no longer concerned about her gluten and wheat intake. Having read cancer is associated now with inflammation (chronic inflammation being considered the start of cancer) I can’t help but think it was due to years of damaging my body on a HC/LF diet that I thought was healthy, becoming increasingly metabolically unhealthy, that could have caused the cancer. But I guess I’ll never know.

One interesting thing is I also was suffering with chronic constipation. On carnivore I don’t seem to have that issue anymore, though I also take magnesium citrate. But when I include vegetables those sort of problems come back, with or without magnesium citrate.

(Megan) #77

Hey @never2late, before I decided to drastically change what I ate and went keto, then very quickly carni, I ate a heck of a lot of pasta and ice cream and had semi-regular bakery binges (yes, full out binges). I 100% knew it wasn’t good for me but wasn’t “in the right headspace” to want to do anything about it. That kind of food isn’t easy for a lot of people to give up. For me food has always been my primary source of comfort in what has been, and is, a pretty horrid life. Here’s hoping your mum will get to a place where she will start making some changes too, and some of her many health complaints will improve. I know I have certainly physically benefited from getting metabolically healthy. In the meantime keep doing what is right for you, and keep enjoying all the improvements you’re experiencing!

Hi Megan, I’m sorry to read you feel your life is horrid. I find whenever I let myself have a vexed thought, like why did cancer happen, why was I hit with both roseaca and lipoedema, etc, I just make myself remember everything I have to be grateful for, which is such a lot. I make a mental list of everything every night before I go to bed because I believe positive thinking plays a huge part in improving health, and reducing stress.

Yes, I understand it’s hard for a lot of people to give up carbohydrates and sugar, the processed, refined carbohydrates in particular. I feel very lucky in that I had no emotional attachment to food, so was very easy for me to give up whatever I decided to give up. Even cream I’ve cut down on now, and continue to cut down. For my SO, however, giving up foods he loves is hard enough that the very thought seems unwarranted to him. So many people do become attached to food as a comfort food, and so most people, unless the right incentive (an illness, a serious wake up call) is given them are happy to continue the way they are. And most people also tend to mainly follow what is written in the press health and diet wise. I believe that’s the only reason my MIL finally decided to give up sugar, there was recently an article in the press she reads with the headline or intro: Overly processed sugary foods have been shown to reduce IQ. My thought when I read that was of course, duh! My MIL’s was probably more along the lines: Oh, dear!

I totally have an emotional attachment to food and I find it very right and good. I just hate to be an addict, a slave, oh and compulsions are just awful. I mean where it doesn’t even matter if I enjoy the food, I just MUST eat it. I don’t have a very severe case but it’s still annoying.
If there is addiction, I consider it logical to quit that item… If one can do it but one should fight. I was so tolerant with coffee as it’s mostly harmless but maybe not, just physically so… I didn’t have many addictions I think, at least ones I wanted to get rid of it. I mean food wise. By the way, I was always sure I would have tried to quite coffee harder if it had an effect on me. That sounds weird. Though I see the charm in it. Sometimes I wonder if I am an inevitable morning zombie and people are like that only without coffee… Maybe it’s lucky they can fight that state but it’s still a dependence I wouldn’t want. But coffee never made me more awake, it was just a habit and I drank it from the afternoon (and later from the morning) to late into the night… Not often at night but it happened after 2am sometimes.

Why am I writing about this?
Unless I say again that people should FIGHT against bad things even if addiction has a role and it’s hard.

I probably can understand it. I wouldn’t give up my current favs either. I gave up many old favs though and it wasn’t even hard. Why people must eat all their favs? Shouldn’t it be enough to have great food even if those are different from some of the past?
I even understand nostalgic feelings and desires once in a blue moon as I had them but that didn’t stop me living in a different way most of the time.

Maybe people feel being committed to a new woe too final? But they still can do a lot of steps into the right direction, eating better on most days… And eventually it’s quite possible that their taste will change…
I see this, people just don’t dare to change and see what happens. Just trying, seeing if it may work better than we imagined…

I am a curious and stubborn one and made some brave leaps eating wise. Not a very huge one, I wasn’t ready for that, not even physically but still pretty big ones. High-carb to low-carb, vegetarian on/off keto to on/off carnivore-ish :smiley: The changes were really huge and sometimes I just couldn’t stick to it for 1 day… But usually I could for some time and it was good. And I changed. And even my off days were more pleasant that my body wasn’t overloaded to carbs in the beginning… And my off days changed too. Most of my off days in my low-carb times were high-carb. Now most of my off days are keto or low-carb and many items disappeared completely. We can change, even if we still love the wonderful taste of the old favs. Yes, it’s tasty, and what? We don’t NEED to eat everything tasty. Definitely not regularly… I would quit if my food wasn’t tasty but it is… And better for me than the carby ones. So it’s very simple even if I just look at it from short term joy. Usually. Sometimes a food is just too tempting for some reason, I have this with crunchy things. I don’t have very many crunchy items on carnivore. But I am working on it.

I really wish people would just TRY. Give it a chance. Maybe it’s not as horrible as it seems… And if it is all the time, eat better part-time… But do something for your health and well-being…

(Allie) #80

That’s my thinking too, if you think you cannot cope without a particular food, all the more reason to give it up as no food (or drink) should have that kind of hold on anyone.