My Keto Balance Chart. Is it Okay?

Hi There!
I’m planning to start my Keto Diet on the 1st of February. I was wondering if my carbs:protein:fat balance is good for ketosis to start and keeping up on it ?

(bulkbiker) #2

Any metabolic disorder?
Why are you waiting?

No disorders. I want to get ready mentaly and physically until the 1st :stuck_out_tongue:

(bulkbiker) #4

OK
You may be ok but personally I’d ditch the sesame oil and the cashews and the blackberries and soy yoghurt.
Where are you getting your nutrition info from… the avocado carbs look high…
What is the 100g of “lemon” for?

I’ve added the lemon’s nutrition info but it’s only gonna be a spoon mixed with olive oil first thing in the morning so that’s like 3 gram of squeezed lemon. Why would You ditch the sesame oil and cashews? Blacberries would be my last resort in case of sugar craving :blush:

(bulkbiker) #6

Why? sounds disgusting…

Sesame oil what used for? seed oils generally not considered good animal fat/butter far superior
Cashews pretty high carb and not nuts but legumes macadamias fattier and tastier if you have to have nuts.
Raspberries slightly lower in carbs than blackberries and tastier (IMHO).

I’d be aiming for a total carb count of 20g if you can hence cutting back on the highest carb contributors just add in extra bacon to make up and to help up the calories as you seem to be restricting… assuming you are male…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

Personally I think you are focused way too much on low fat protein sources. Soy isn’t good on keto. Fatty meat and real high fat dairy are preferred. I also assume this is just a list of foods you plan on eating, and not a balanced keto diet of daily food as presented. So no way to tell from this post how things will balance as far as keto macros go. You need more high quality saturated fats. Ruminant meats are best, not poultry breasts and lean tuna. I’m not saying you can’t eat those at all, only that other choices might make the ride easier. I think you may be overthinking it.

Sesame oil is okay if you’re just adding a few drops for flavor and aroma but it’s a seed oil that has been subjected to heat and is high in omega6 fatty acids. If you eat beef and salmon you will increase HDL/LDL ratio. Too much omega6 oils are inflammatory to your system and insulinogenic. Soy is estrogenic and a real problem for men. For women it’s not so good either as it messes with your endogenous estrogen. Excess estrogen = weight gain for both sexes. It’s an endocrine disrupter. Cashew aren’t a good choice either, way too carb heavy and easy to overdo it, and a waste of your carb allowance in my opinion. If you want nuts macadamia and pecans are best. :cowboy_hat_face:

I won’t talk about the food items themselves.

Balance… What balance? Why would we need a certain ratio? Or if it’s sometimes the case even in normal, not therapeutic keto, it’s personal.
It’s odd to see percentages in grams and not calories… But it doesn’t matter anyway. Do whatever works for you. How do you know this plan will work for you? You will see when you already do keto. And even so, your different days might have different macros (if you allows that). Sometimes we are hungrier or fancy something else… And it’s fine.
We usually can’t know if we can follow some plan we never tried on a very new woe.

I am actually a bit confused about your carbs. I assume you listed total carbs and sugars. But what about net carbs? It’s what most important for most ketoers. This very forum has lots of people who use total carbs, it was new to me, actually but I understand it’s the way for some people as their body works differently. Whatever is your case, you need to eat little enough carbs to go into and stay in ketosis, adequate to high protein and some fat is surely needed, not even little for 2000 kcal but the exact number and percentage isn’t important. Do what works for you. There is wriggle room even if your calorie intake is fixed for some reason.

I really won’t talk about individual food choices but my opinion is basically the same as for the macros: do what works for you (and think about the information others gave you about those items. it’s a bit hard to say what’s healthy as people has different opinions and even different enough bodies so what is healthy for you might be unhealthy for me and vice versa). I had my own long list of carby food items on my vegetarian keto and I was fine with it. Now I do a carnivore trial, things change. I eat things I find healthy and nutritious enough but I never worried about macros in my food items per 100g. It was irrelevant to me, my total intake was important, I just had to decide if it’s worth it to use some of my carbs for that item in the amount I can afford or if it’s a problem if I eat a very lean protein.
You can never make a plan everyone is even vaguely happy with. It’s fine as they aren’t you. It’s good to ask opinions, you hopefully gets a lot of useful information too and things to think about - but in the end, it’s your own keto for your own individual body.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

I think your carbs are too high and your fat too low. Nice pie chart, though. Are you going to use the spreadsheet to track everything? I use an OOCalc sheet for my meals and daily totals.

I don’t know how much you anticipate eating every day or what your overall goal is. For comparison, I eat 375 grams of macros per day. On your plan that would include 52+ grams of carbs. I would likely not be in ketosis or borderline in/out. The recommendation is sub-20 grams of carbs per day. That will keep the majority of people in ketosis. That’s a good place to be. A lot of healthy things happen when you’re in ketosis that don’t when you’re not.

Pro Tip™ use gram amounts, not percentages, to calculate macros. Best wishes.

Hey there everyone! Thanks for all positive and motivating comments. What kind of full fat yoghurts and meat would suit my keto diet ? Should I reduce the overall amount of green veg down to 20 g carbs per day? @amwassil Yes I prefer tracking all I’m eating and doing every single day so I know what has gone wrong or could go better :laughing:

P.S Can i drink pepsi maxx/diet coke while on ketosis?

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #11

Ignore fiber, focus on net carbs. Eat at least 1g protein a day for every kg of lean mass and you can pretty much ignore protein. For carbs, instead of counting carbs and calories better focus on these simple rules if you know the macros.

1. Eat as much as you like if the (net) carb to fat ratio is 1:10 or higher. This includes all fresh meat and most nuts (not cashews). Eat until you’re satiated.
  2. Restrict eating of food with a ratio of 1:3 to 1:10 (this includes full fat yoghurt for example). You don’t have to cut it completely, but it shouldn’t be a staple of your diet.
  3. Avoid anything with a ratio of 1:3 or lower.
  4. Avoid all processed food. This includes soy, which is bad for many other reasons (lectins, isoflavones).
  5. There is some debate about artificial sweeteners. Some people say they’re safe, others disagree. They may or may not cause insulin spikes which can make you hypoclycemic. Personally I find the taste of diet drinks horrible after a year of low carb. Best to avoid all artificial sweeteners for a month or two, except for very, very small amounts. Tea, coffee and water is all you need. Take a splash of lemon in the water if you like.

Another Newbie- so scared. Have very little money for fancier diets and have tried everything
(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #12

You can’t find out what’s wrong this way, that’s the point. As long as you restrict net carbs enough you’ll be fine, “enough” is individual. 20g a day is safe, but some people tolerate more.

Day-to-day weight change is driven by water mainly. You can lose 100g of fat while adding 2 pounds on the scale. Also people are different. Most people do well with a high meat diet (beef preferred), but some will convert protein to glucose more than normal. We react different to different antinutrients. If you’re not losing weight then maybe you’re eating too much lectins. If your uric acid is too high then maybe you’re eating too much oxalates. If your blood glucose is high then maybe neoglucogenesis is in overdrive. And most importanly, the type of fat matters much more than the amount. If you eat industrial meat you may eat a lot of PUFAs instead of healthy fat.

By looking at tables and focusing on macros you’ll never find out what’s wrong. If you do it for the fun of it, go ahead, I won’t stop you. But don’t believe for a moment that this will help you to find problems.

(bulkbiker) #13

Any and all fresh meat and fish will be fine.
If you want yoghurt go for full fat and greek is usually lowest in carb content.
Where do you live? if UK I can give specific recommendations.

@MarkGossage UK

I thought you only like lean meat, that’s why you eat them even on keto.
You can use basically any meat or other animal protein, it’s your choice. What do you like?
I like the fattiest meats, I like mutton and pork very much. But I eat rabbit or super lean fish if I want, it’s fine as I eat enough animal fat anyway. I eat eggs every day, usually fried in some fat. Beef is very popular and often fatty enough… There is so many options.

Nope, you should have the limit (20g net for many, 20g total for others, my own is very different from my newbie ketoer number) for ALL your carbs, not just your green vegs… Almost everything has carbs. Look at your own plan. You already eat little carbs from green vegs, a very significant amount comes from elsewhere…

My biggest suggestion starting out would be just to familiarize yourself with how many carbs basic food items that you like. I may be in the minority , but it would personally drive me crazy to even go into this worrying about it. Lol. Find out what is low carb that you like and what isn’t, eliminate the high carb items and eat the other things while keeping your net carbs under 20. Fat=satiety for most.

I also work a lot of hours, so making a chart or counting macros micros or whatever will not be done unless I hit a big stall. How much weight do you need to lose? Watch YouTube , learn the basics and become healthy without being obsessed about it. The obsession with food in our culture is what makes it really hard. A lot of people, including myself can’t just eat a meal to keep moving.

(Susan) #17

I would use a free app like cronometer.com and just make sure that you keep to 20 grams or less of carbs, absolutely no sugar, eat enough healthy proteins and good Keto fats, drink lots of water, get enough electrolytes, no processed foods, no artificial sweeteners, no seed oils at all, and try to get enough sleep. I wish you success, and if you have any more questions about Keto, ask away =).

(bulkbiker) #18

Ah in that case I usually go for

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/no1-greek-natural-strained-yogurt/836765-291542-291543

or

both pretty low carb for yoghurt and quite tasty… I sometimes add some frozen raspberries…

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #19