My husband won’t go into Ketosis

(Cindy) #6

This might be good advice for someone who has been doing keto for a while, but not necessarily for someone new to this way of eating. IF is hard if you’re hungry. To not be hungry, you need to be fat-adapted, and that takes time. I wouldn’t even recommend going straight to a fat fast, because people need to QUIT thinking of this as a LOSE WEIGHT FAST DIET. It’s about hormonal regulation and again, that takes time.

Too many people just want to see the scale numbers drop and it doesn’t matter if they’re doing it in a way that’s physically, mentally, OR emotionally healthy. MOST of the time, extreme measures really aren’t healthy in the long-term. Sure, eating nothing but bacon, eggs, butter, etc, might be ok physically, but is someone new to keto likely to enjoy that way of eating? Probably not, nor is it likely to be sustainable.

(Cindy) #7

Marilyn, if your husband is keeping his total carbs <20g, he HAS to go into ketosis. It’s not like your body can choose. So either there are hidden carbs in what he’s eating OR he’s intentionally eating carbs. Maybe post what a day of food looks like for you? Even though he’s eating the same as you, he might have to have fewer carbs than you do since he’s T2D.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

Because your husband is T2D, I advise waiting for others more informed about the special requirements for T2D to add their input before changing anything. My comments should be taken as suggestive until they do so. :expressionless:

You say the two of you ‘started the keto diet’ on April 25. That’s 2 weeks and a day ago. You don’t mention your ages, but whatever the two of you ate SAD for all those years and keto for 15 days. Don’t expect miracles and you won’t be disappointed. :slightly_smiling_face: Did you just start eating keto, whatever you thought it is? It would be helpful to inform us what in addition to the plums, you eat on a typical day? Or did you go on a multi-day fast to burn out glucose and glycogen stores? If you did not do the fast to kick start ketosis, and if you have not kept daily carbs sub-20 grams consistently, it is quite possible that neither of you is in ketosis or in and out.

You mention your husband’s ketostix ‘readings’ have been negative. Does that mean no colour? If so, that does not mean he’s not in ketosis, just that he’s not dumping excess ketones via urine. If he says he feels great and has more energy, that’s good. But in his case, it’s very important to keep the carbs sub-20 grams consistently. If your readings indicate ketones in your urine, you are dumping excess, which is typical when starting out. Are you testing only once per day or multiple times? It’s probable when you are in/out of ketosis that you will get different readings throughout the day.

The fastest and easiest way to get into ketosis is a 3-4 day fast. It only hurts on the second day when carb hunger reaches its peak. If you can’t/won’t do the fast, eating your way to ketosis takes much longer. The ‘2 to 4 days’ you mention is unrealistic unless you do the fast.

Welcome and best wishes.

(Alec) #9

This. Please list out what your husband is eating to let us spot any issues.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

FASTING IS HIGHLY DISCOURAGED FOR PEOPLE NEW TO KETO

This kind of thing at the start can make you hungry during the cutting out of carbs. Your body’s reaction will be to slow your metabolism and try to preserve fat stores. You want your body to be at ease with the change and get used to burning fat for fuel in the absence of significant glucose levels. Intermittent Fasting should be added when you start to get around meal time and realize you’re not hungry. Then you can widen the gap between meals, start dropping down to one or two meals a day if you feel comfortable doing it without much of an effort or discomfort.

Focus on less than twenty carbs a day, and do it everyday. No slacking or eating off plan. Track and measure foods with carbs. Eat enough protein to feel satisfied with your meal and don’t skimp on fats. Protein and fat macros aren’t real important, carb limits are. If he’s got health issues, is diabetic, or insulin resistant it will take longer to see results. Usually men leave women in the dust side by side with weight loss, but we’re all dealing with our own metabolic issues and can’t always expect results at the same rate. KCKO :cowboy_hat_face:

(Running from stupidity) #11

THIS ^^^

(Karim Wassef) #12

No fruit. No fructose. No sugar.

Fructose is only metabolized in the liver. If the liver gets fructose, it will not trigger ketones.

Need to deplete liver glycogen. Not all, but enough to kick start the ketosis. Fructose is like locking that door.

(Marilyn Kisters) #13

Here is a typical breakfast

1 slice of bacon
2 scrambled eggs
1 cup of coffee with cream
1 tbls cream cheese
1 tanks MCT oil

Lunch

Tomatoes
Salami, prosciutto, sopressata
Cheddar cheese
Ultima electrolyte

Dinner

Flank steak
Balsamic vinegar
Broccoli
Butter

(Karim Wassef) #14

Tomatoes are also a fruit

(Marilyn Kisters) #15

We are both retired and are together all day. I am positive he has not cheated.

(Marilyn Kisters) #16

Thank you for your encouragement. He is more than willing to give this more time. I would be worried about him fasting for a long period of not, this is not recommended for T2D patient.

If your husband is on any medications for his diabetes he may have to be particularly careful. If he’s not on any meds then short term fasts, when & if he’s up to it, should be OK.

I should’t worry about weight loss for now if I were him - far more important that he eat the right way to treat his diabetes :slightly_smiling_face:

(Alec) #18

Marilyn
Your food plan looks just fine. KCKO. Just make sure to keep the carbs low, this will work. As others have said, if your husband has T2, then he is deranged, and his body has a lot of healing to do. It may take some time.

(Marilyn Kisters) #19

He is on meds and his numbers have been on the rise. We know this is a good diet and he will be better in the long run.

I’ll let you all know how the next week goes.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #20

Be careful with this. The bottles I’ve seen (and the one I have) list the balsamic vinegar as having 3g of carbs per 1 tbsp. Using it will creep the carb total up quickly.

Some meds can make it more difficult to lose weight. I’d keep a very close eye on his blood sugar as it can come down fairly quickly & he may need to review his meds with his doctor. Best of luck to you both :slightly_smiling_face:

(Alec) #22

Marilyn
Strong recommendation for your husband to visit the dr and tell him/her that he’s on a keto diet. The requirements for drugs changes a LOT when you remove the carbs. This is important. His dr needs to know, and he needs to monitor the required drug levels.

What do they say? Food is medicine? I think it should be: The right food is medicine!

Curious how he feels after drinking Ultima electrolytes? I am (or was, haven’t retested yet) pre-diabetic with insulin resistance, the only time since going Keto (almost 10 weeks ago now) that I felt like I was having a weird blood sugar reaction to something was after drinking Ultima, I think the sweetener in (Stevia or Sucralose) was the culprit, he may be sensitive to the sweetener and maybe it’s spiking his insulin.

(Marilyn Kisters) #24

He sees his Dr this month and will definitely tell him. Thanks for the reminder.

(Marilyn Kisters) #25

He seems fine after drinking Ultima. He sweats a lot.