My 1st Cheesecake? ... Well, sort-of

(Running from stupidity) #221

Also, we want unicorns farting gold bars :slight_smile:

One might be hard pressed to find either! :slight_smile:

(Diane) #223

I think you could use some cocoa butter and low carb sweetener like erythritol or xylitol. Maybe some dehydrated cream? I’m heading off to google this now.

Edited to add link to recipe. Note, I haven’t tried this yet. But I will be!

Very nice, Diane! :wink: … We were actually discussing this just this morning. :slight_smile: … I didn’t get to do any research, since I’m presently making Cheese Cakes to fill orders this weekend. But I will definitely be checking out the link you provided. - Thanks again!

(Joanna Parszyk ) #225

@DiMo
Diane you are an angel! Many thanks :kissing_heart:

Almost forgot to add this in here…

Here’s the information for the Mini-Chocolate Cheese Cake I made for the wife recently.

Crust:

• 1/2 Cup Almond Flour (1/4 cup, if only covering bottom. Also cut butter in half. - 1/2 Cup if you go up the sides as I normally do. But the Mini’s can be a PITA to do this and time consuming. :slight_smile: )
  • 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Erythritol (I use the crystal for the crunch, but either will do)
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter (melted)
    Mix ingredients press onto bottom & sides of Mini-Springform Pan. You can also just do the bottom

Filling

• 4oz. Cream Cheese
  • 1 Large Egg
  • 2 Tablespoons Sour Cream
  • 1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
  • 1/3 Cup Erythritol (Powdered)
  • 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
  • 1-1/2 to 2 Tsp. of Extract of your desire, such as Orange, Strawberries, Lemon, etc. If you want it flavored. You can also add slices of those on top, if you don’t mind the minimal carbs, but for us, we mainly only do this for the Strawberry ones.

Bake at 300° Convection for 30 minutes.

Topping… V actually melted down to squares of her Orange Chocolate Lindt’s, and I put that in the center. But it did harden back up, so I would recommend adding this just before eating. :slight_smile:

Note: Since a certain someone doesn’t like Sour Cream… :roll_eyes: I didn’t put it in hers. But I personally like Sour Cream in my Cheese Cakes, so would be adding it to mine. So I showed it above, but it’s optional. It actually filled the pan just right, with no left-over batter. Because I only used 4oz. Cream Cheese, not 8oz.

I will also do a full sized version, but since I usually use 4 blocks of Cream Cheese in full sized Cakes, I think I will reduce this to 3 blocks, since it helps keep the Chocolate flavor from being overwhelmed by the Cheese. (without overdoing the amount of Cocoa) V seemed to like this, when I reduced this one for the same reason.

What Did You Keto Today? The Trilogy!
(Jane) #227

Ok, I typed up all the tips and methods you posted into one document so I have it for Christmas dinner. I’ll make it Sunday or Monday.

@Digital_Dave Does this look right? Did I miss anything? I know the erythritol is higher but this is the amount I used the first time I made the full size and my husband liked it so I am not going to reduce it.

Crust:
1-1/2 cups Almond Flour
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Erythritol
2-1/2 Tbl butter, melted

Filling:
3 - 8 oz. pkgs Cream Cheese, set out on counter for 30 min.
3 Eggs
4 oz. Sour Cream
1-1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup Erythritol
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar

Mix crust dry ingredients, slowly add melted butter and mix until damp, but pliable. Press into springform pan and set in refrigerator.

Preheat oven to 300F on Convection setting.

Mix softened cream cheese on high speed to allow it to break down. Slow mixer speed and add vanilla extract, erythritol and sour cream. Slow mixer speed even more and add eggs one at a time and only mix until incorporated.

Pour batter into pan and bake for 44-55 minutes or until slight cracking is seen on the edges. Place pan under rack to catch drips.

Set on wire rack and allow to cool for 30-40 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours in springform pan. Transfer to cake plate and remove ring and refrigerate until ready to eat.

Ya know, it actually threw me off for a second, since I’ve been making Cheese Cakes the past few days to fill an order, and the first thing that hit me was only using 3 Cream Cheese. I forgot that I had dropped it to 3 for a Keto version. :smile: Have a couple Cherry Cheese Cakes setting up in the fridge presently. :slight_smile:

But yep, it does indeed look right as you have it here. :+1: … Only thing I would add, is that where you have it written in the third paragraph… I have added some additional info. Basically shown in bold/italic, since this site doesn’t allow one to color-code edits and stuff like this. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’m sure it will come out great! :slight_smile:

(Jane) #229

Thanks for the clarification on the mixer speed. We are both looking forward to enjoying this treat next week!

Cool! Let us know how it comes out. But again, your Little Lemon came out great! :slight_smile:

I’ll probably be making V’s Chocolate Cheese Cake Friday night or Saturday morning. Should be nice and creamy by Christmas Day. :slight_smile: … She’s unsure if she wants me to make the Mint Chocolate, or just the plain Chocolate. Said she will let me know by Friday.

(Jane) #232

I decided to make the cheesecake today so it will as you day, tighten up and get creamier.

I bought a 2-pack of Philly cream cheese and a single. The single said “original”. The 2-pack… when I took t out of the fridge said… 1/3 LESS FAT!!!
:rage: :rage: :rage:

How did I miss that?!!! It went right into the trash and we are on our way back to the grocery for 2 more regular cream cheese blocks.

Yeah, I hate that too. I’ve done it. You’re grabbing some and don’t notice it until later. :slight_smile: … I’m actually putting V’s Chocolate Cheese Cake together now. Just finished the crust, and boy, what a PITA! … I have to figure out a better way to work with the Almond Flour. Just too powdery and you have to build the sides slowly, like I used to with regular ones. - I can throw together a crust in just 5 minutes normally, but with this stuff, 20-25 minutes! It’s like it’s fighting you the entire time! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

But also tweaked it a little for her this time to try some things. Here’s what I’m going with…

Crust:

• Almond Flour - 1-1/2 Cups
  • Cinnamon - 1-1/2 tsp.
  • Erythritol (Powdered) - 1-1/2 tsp.
  • Cocoa Powder - 1 tbsp.
  • Butter - 3 tbsp.

Filling

• Cream Cheese - 3 - 8oz. packages
  • Large Eggs - 3
  • Sour Cream - 4 oz. (Not used in V’s Cake) 4 oz. HWC instead
  • Vanilla Extract - 2 tsp.
  • Cocoa Powder - 4 tbsp.
  • Erythritol - 1-1/3 Cup (Powdered)
  • Cream of Tartar - 1/2 tsp.

The only thing on here I’m not adding that’s shown, is the Sour Cream. She doesn’t like Sour Cream, so I leave it out for her version and had to add 4 oz. HWC, since the batter isn’t to my liking without either. (too dry) It probably does take some of the Chocolaty taste out adding the Sour Cream, so it’s not a bad thing really. … But I would add it to mine though. :slight_smile:

Will be mixing it and putting it in the oven shortly, so hoping it comes out ok. … Still think I need to put the thinking cap on, to come up with a solution to the crust. Thinking maybe to look into either adding something else, such as Flaxseed, to try to give it some body. Or hell, just making some Keto version of Chocolate Graham Crackers, and then grinding them up and using them? Will have to see. :slight_smile:

Edit: I actually ended up adding the 4 oz. of HWC, since the batter didn’t seem to be where I would like. I had already had all the ingredients in, since I couldn’t see this until then. So I’m hoping it didn’t get too over-mixed with the eggs already added? - Either way, I think I will amend this one to go back to 4 blocks of Cream Cheese, since this is what I normally use for full sized Cakes (Non-Keto) and this gives a better thickness to the cake, and that’s using a 9" Springform. if I was using one of my 10", the cake wouldn’t be that thick at all. … So will see how this comes out, and retype of the full version later.

(Jane) #234

Ok here are my results so far

Looking good. :slight_smile:

V’s Chocolate one cracked some, because since she didn’t want Sour Cream, I found the mix not to my liking. Appearing to be a little dry. (Compared to what I’m used to seeing) So I had to mix it extra after the Eggs were added, so I knew it would crack some. … No big deal, but for appearances, you would rather it didn’t. :slight_smile:

I’m also thinking of just doing the crust on the bottom too, (which is the easiest) especially since the Almond Flour doesn’t like to play well when forming, or while cooking. Not only is it a major PITA to form, it also doesn’t hug the cake, which is needed. So when it’s done, it pulls away from the walls with the cake. Almond flour as it is, does not. … Would love to find a recipe to actually make Keto-Grahams, and work them from there.

(Jane) #236

Took the ring off today and sliced up a tiny sliver after lunch for my sweetie. He declared it “better than the first one” even though I used the same recipe LOL.

I agree on the crust - I pushed it up the sides and it just flakes off. No point in doing more than having it on the bottom.

Got some slight cracking after I refrigerated it but I am not selling mine so no biggie LOL. It is a guilt-free keto friendly dessert that I am happy to provide!

Looks quite fine as it is. And that’s minor cracking at best. Plus, if you were adding any toppings, it would be covered as well. … I had a small slice of V’s earlier this morning just to try it, and it came quite good. (Nice and creamy, and chocolatey) She had a couple small slices as well, but think we will be freezing most, then vacuum sealing it, as to not over-eat it. - Plus she will have some available whenever she wants a piece. … But think I will also just stick to the mini’s for her’s, since it’s easier baking as well as freezing.

One I’ve been thinking about for a bit now, but haven’t done yet, is a variation of Coconut Cream Cheese Cake. But it might be a couple/few weeks before I can look into it some more to figure it out.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #238

Doesn’t matter, anyway. Cracks add character! :grin:

(Jane) #239

We are too full from our (mostly) keto dinner for dessert but will each have a piece later.

I think I will also cut the rest of it into individual slices and freeze, then vacuum seal for later. Do you wrap it in anything before you freeze it? Or just freeze it on a plate then vacuum seal?

Yeah, it does better if you slice it, place it on a cookie sheet or similar and place it in the freezer for a while first. (so it doesn’t get flattened during vacuum sealing) Usually an hour or two works, depending on freezer. Then vacuum seal to your liking. … I would suggest if you will be doing two pieces at a time, to vacuum two pieces together, just keep them separated in the bag. But you can also seal some singles just in case. :slight_smile:

This is the pumpkin cheesecake Recipe I have used for years, might help in your research.

The original recipe uses ginger snap cookies for the crust. This year I used: 1/2 c. almond flour, 1/2 c. Coconut flour, 1/4 c. Shredded coconut (unsweetened), 1/4 c. Butter. I also added a shake of Truvia. I think Upped the almond flour a bit and used less butter. I always edit as I cook.

3 - 8 oz. cream cheese
1 - cup sugar, I will try alternatives now that I’m keto
1 - tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1 - tsp. Ground ginger
1 - 16 oz. can pumpkin purée
4 - eggs

9” springform

Preheat 350 F, reduce to 300 F, bake 1-1/4 hours or until done.

I think I will up the spices next time.

I’m interested in trying your recipe.