My 1st Cheesecake? ... Well, sort-of

(Jane) #201

I DO!!!

As a chemical engineer who spent most of her career in batch plants there are a lot of correlations!

(Running from stupidity) #202

I kinda meant people who aren’t actual chemical engineers.

:grin::grin::grin:

(Jane) #203

LOL!

I love chemistry and I keep a frigging spreadsheet on every batch of soap and cheese I make. Saponification fascinates me, as does making butter and mayo when the liquid changes states so dramatically.

edited to add I am easily amused!!!

(Terence Dean) #204

@nysasha Alexia monkfruit looks like a great idea as an alternative to sugar, did you use an extract or was it the pure fruit?

(Blessed with butter ) #205

What can I use instead of a spring form pan

Well, springforms by their designed, are intended for cakes such as Cheesecake, or anything that can’t be flipped out/turned over, once done. But you could, theoretically, use an aluminum pie pan? You would of course have to adjust the mix to not overflow the more shallow pan design? I mean, unless you can find a deep set one? … But at worst, you might have to still put some slices along the sides of it to peal it off from the cake, unless you can somehow slice and serve from it? But I can’t image it would be too much fun to try doing. :slight_smile:

Other than those suggestions above, springform pans are very nice to have around. They can be used for all kinds of cooking, and usually don’t cost too much. … Of course you can make all kinds of cakes, deserts, etc., but you can also make a bunch of meals. Such as a quiche, meat pies, etc. It’s actually endless when you think about it. … Just make sure if you are making something with too much liquid, or something quite loose before cooking, that you place a cookie sheet or similar to catch any drippings while it cooks. This can happen with Cheesecakes as well, once the butter in the crust gets heated. (So as much as folks around here like butter, having it burning on the bottom of the stove is never a good thing! :slight_smile: )

(Running from stupidity) #207

+1

(Daisy) #208

So the cinnamon addition to my cheesecake crust was perfection! Thank you for the suggestion. I also made a full size of the cinnamon cheesecake and it was tasty as well!

(Jane) #209

I made a pumpkin pie a couple of weeks ago using a fresh pumpkin, brown sugar erithritol, and a regular pie crust (I know). Then I roasted the seeds - YUM!

I want to make a keto-friendly version for Thanksgiving so I am thinking of using your cheesecake piecrust recipe and a springform pan and bake it like a cheesecake.

Do you think this will work? I had never made a pumpkin pie from anything except canned pumpkin and the fresh was so much better and fluffier. Plus you get the seeds!!!

This shouldn’t be a problem at all, especially it you’re making it the traditional thickness of a pie, and not as thick as, say, a Cheesecake. (This could be problematic, since it might not have strength to hold the weight.) But once chilled, it should do quite nice.

I’m also looking forward to hearing how it comes out. Because I too use a lot of the canned Pumpkin, but have always wanted to try using fresh pumpkin. … Just a few thoughts; Once cooked, I would set it out on the counter as you normally do with PP’s, but would recommend putting in the fridge for an hour or two, before removing the rim and then bottom. (I don’t know the shrinking properties of PP’s, so just check to make sure the crust is detached from the sides before removing the rim. But this probably won’t be a problem either.) … Also, don’t forget to add Cinnamon to the crust, which of course, goes fantastic with Pumpkin Pie! (Which is also one of my favorites as well. :slight_smile: ) … [spoiler]SHIT[/spoiler], now I want some Pumpkin Pie! It has been a while. :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #211

In my experience, fresh and canned pumpkin both make perfectly acceptable pies and cheesecakes, but it does seem that fresh has an advantage in terms of the texture of the result.

BTW, don’t cut the pumpkin into pieces and then try to peel the pieces before boiling them down. Cut the pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and loose strings, and put the halves face down on cookie sheets (putting them face down helps retain some of the moisture, I find). Bale them at 350° F/177° C for around half an hour or until soft and mushy. Turn the halves over and scrape the flesh off the skin. Finish on top of the stove, adding just a bit of water to moisten the bottom of the pot. Not too much, or you’ll have to take extra time boiling it out at the end. Stringy pumpkin can be run through a blender to help the texture of the pie, but this shouldn’t be necessary with a really nice, ripe pumpkin.

(Jane) #212

Thanks @PaulL and @Digital_Dave for your advice. I will try your suggestions!

Going to make this for Thanksgiving and my 2 guests are also keto!

I tried a test pie with fresh pumpkin and steamed it on the stovetop but still had trouble peeling the skin off so probably needed to cook it some more. I’ll try your method.

I think the cinnamon flavored crust for Dave’s cheesecake will complement it nicely.

I only use fresh grated nutmeg when a recipe calls for it and tried some fresh ground allspice for the first time also and was very good. I used a mortar and pestle for the allspice and was a bit of work as those tiny berries are hard. And too small to grate with my mini grater like I do with nutmeg.

(Running from stupidity) #213

For some reason, this concept has always amused me greatly :slight_smile:

(Joanna Parszyk ) #214

I used to bake them for sale for friends and and a little cafe down the road. I wanted to make the keto version of this. It is a polish recipe so l’m using a specific kind of curd cheese (30%fat, consistency like feta, taste sour and creamy). It has a lot of pistachios in it.
I have idea how to modify the crust and the main cheesecake, now l’m thinking how to replace (or simply skip) the decorative top with white chocolate and cranberries.

Very nice! :slight_smile: … You could still use the chocolate and nuts, just use the more Keto-Friendly ones. And yes, I wish Raisins were more Keto-Friendly as well. Didn’t eat them on a regular basis, but I did like them. :slight_smile:

I actually have some orders to fill this weekend, (6 or so?) since a lot of folks like to hit me up around the Holidays, plus I’m thinking about making a Pumpkin Cheese Cake for home. Be the first one in some time, since I don’t make them for the house much anymore. And I actually owe my wife a Mini-Chocolate Cheese Cake which I will making as well. :slight_smile: … I’ll post them later.

(Central Florida Bob ) #216

That’s gorgeous, Joanna!

What’s that saying about “not an everyday food, but a once year food”? Something like that. I could do a slice once a year.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #217

My strawberry cheesecake Valentines edition.

@Digital_Dave How would you substitute the white chocolate glaze?

(Central Florida Bob ) #218

I had their album back in the late 60s. “Going Up The Country”. Good stuff.

:smirk:

(Joanna Parszyk ) #219

Oh you are so kind, many thanks @CFLBob :grin:

Wow, that is actually a great question! :slight_smile: Never thought of it, so I’m not really sure? … That one may take some thinking, but I’m sure if can be done, at least making it somewhat Keto-Friendly. And as much as I’ve always liked White Chocolate, I don’t many things with it. … Hmm, but you really have me wondering now. :smile:

Now, if we can just find some 90% White Chocolate, that would be the ticket! Maybe a message sent to Lindt’s to see if there’s any information that can be sought? Or maybe Bakers U/S White Chocolate? … researching.

Beautiful cake BTW. Really like the Strawberry hearts design. :+1: