My 1st Cheesecake? ... Well, sort-of

Dave,

On your macros sheet in the first post, it doesn’t seem to have added the Almond flour.
I’m sure there’s a good reason for this, which I’m not aware of.
Is this right?

Yeah, I was doing too many things at the same time back then, and was adding products to the sheet as I was using them. So when I added the Almond Flour to the top of the sheet, it showed on the sheet ok, but was not incorporated into the Auto-Sum section at the bottom. - I actually corrected and noted this a few post further down, but I should have also updated that one too. :slight_smile: Thanks, will go change it so it’s not confusing.

EDIT: Well, apparently I can’t change it now? I may have even tried to do so before as well, I can’t recall? But it’s probably why I just noted the mistake in the post I did on August 7th? - It might be a time issue. Meaning post can’t be edited after a certain amount of time? Will have to check that.

Ah ok. Just checking.
So that means that the cheese cake has approx. 6g of carbs per slice not 3?

It’s ok, I’m going through the thread now. I’m sure I’ll get to that point soon enough!!

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Almond meal as an alternative to almond flour.
Are they the same thing…interchangeable?

Also, can anyone from the UK, suggest a good cream cheese to use for this recipe? I haven’t done ANY baking at all but, I’m going to give this a try at some stage!

I’m not really sure? I’ve never used Almond Meal that I can recall, so not sure how different they are, or if they are generally the same? Maybe someone with this knowledge can stop in and give some insight to it.

Yeah, I believe it was 5.something per slice, if cut into 8 pieces. But some like to cut theirs smaller, which of course would reduce this.

(Trudy) #187

I used almond meal for the base of my cheesecake (not sure what the difference is but it worked fine) and replaced vanilla essence with lemon juice and zest. Next time I make it will reduce sweetener from 3/4 cup to half a cup. Most awesome recipe, can’t thank Dave enough!

(Daisy) #188

I did my normal cheesecake recipe, but added the cinnamon to the crust. It’s in the freezer till Saturday. :yum:
I also made some cinnamon roll mini cheesecakes. My daughter and I sampled the one from the mini springform pan before dinner, it was very tasty!!
Most all of the other fun recipes I looked at today had hwc in it. No hwc for me!

(Diane) #189

Almond flour is generally ground from blanched almonds (no skins, which means less fiber). Almond meal usually means ground whole almonds (including skins, so more fiber). So if your almond “flour” has brown specks in it, it’s really almond meal.

Almond flour and almond meal aren’t usually interchangeable in recipes because the increased fiber causes it to absorb liquid differently and may cause you to need to adjust the binders (like eggs or xanthan gum) as well. In the other words, the almond meal starts to act a little more like coconut flour.

Hope this helps!

(Running from stupidity) #190

Did

Great stuff, thanks Diane.

Any ideas about the cream cheese?

(Diane) #193

Not for the UK. Sorry.

Here in the US, I’ve used Philadelphia brand cream cheese or Trader Joe’s very successfully. There is a brand that I got at Costco’s that was really weird and I couldn’t ever get it to cream very well.

As the others have mentioned, thank you for the breakdown on Almond Meal/Flour. Much appreciated info. … I also don’t know much about Coconut Flour, being I’ve never used it and before going Keto, never knew about a lot of these friendlier ingredients. (So I’m still experimenting) … But have heard folks on both sides of the fence on their uses as well. Meaning, some prefer one over the other, or like I’ve heard, some state one works better over the other, depending on the recipe you’re making? Again, I’m still experimenting, so though I do have 4 lbs. of the Coconut Flour, I have yet to use it. But I’m sure I will be soon. :slight_smile:

And yep, all I use is Philadelphia Cream Cheese because I prefer it. But I have used store brands, off brands, etc. Just find personally that the PCC taste much better.

And coincidentally, I just got a call today for a Cheese Cake order for next week. But these would be the normal (SAD) version Cakes, not a Keto version. But it’s only for 4, so not too bad.

(Daisy) #195

I find the very best use of coconut flour is mixed with almond flour in Keto baked goods. Perfection! I have made zucchini breads, pumpkin bread, chocolate zucchini muffins, etc. They are wonderful!!!

I’ve read that by other as well. Though I can’t say what it does when you combine the two? … But I look forward to doing many experiments with them. :slight_smile:

(Diane) #197

I struggle with coconut flour. I seem to get inconsistent results. I’m trying to find coconut flour recipes from recipe developers I trust (one sign of a good “baking” recipe is that the flour measurement is given by weight in grams). Luckily, I find experimentation fun, if sometimes frustrating and expensive.

(Diane) #198

Feel free to share any recipes (or links to any cookbooks, blogs, etc) you’ve used successfully over in the recipes section. I’ll be watching.

Thanks!

I concur. :slight_smile: - Always looking for new recipes, and/or inspiration in helping to create new ones! I find seeing new recipes seems to spark my creative thought process. And it helps keep things from getting mundane. :slight_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #200

SO MUCH THIS! The variability in volume measurements (even assuming that those measurements are actually the same across locations) is crazy.

TBH, I use g for everything - baking and just cooking - except some spices, really. Makes it so much simpler and more standardised.

Precision in baking is so much more important than in cooking. Not sure that many people realise how much chemistry is involved in baking.