Monitoring ketones with Abbott Precision Xtra blood monitor

Hi All -

I have an Abbott Precision Xtra blood monitor and have started checking my ketone levels every few days. I am interested in doing some more ‘scientific studies’ of how different food/drink products effect my ketone levels. How long should I wait after ingesting a food/drink to see it has an effect on my ketone levels? Should I do a blood test in a half hour? Hour? 2hrs? I am interested in doing more ‘before’ and ‘after’ tests to see what effect a food/drug has on my state of ketosis.

Thanks

Jorma

(Cathy) #2

I really don’t know the answer to your question but my first reaction is that I don’t think ketones are so dynamic that measuring in the way that you are suggesting will be useful. The way I understand things is that ketones are an indication that you are burning fat for fuel and not a lot more.

I think people try to compare it to measuring glucose which may not be accurate as glucose is very responsive to food but also deceiving because it is also a reflection of how well (or not) insulin is working.

Measuring ketones is best first thing in the morning in a fasted state. The reasoning is that is the time when there are little other influences such as food, exercise and any # of other things that can change the amount of circulating ketones.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #3

Those steps can get pricy.

However, that said, it’s best to check glucose at 0, 60, 90, 120, 240 hours after eating. I included the 4hr mark because sometimes if the meal is protein and fat biased then the change might occur later. I’ve always tested ketones at the same time as glucose.

If you are going to test you should ideally do it from a fasted state.

You can check out how @Alecmcq did some of his testing here: