Miss Evening Snacks

Newbie here. Three weeks tomorrow I started low carb counting. Cut out sugar, pasta, bread, rice, cake, etc. No weight loss yet. Energy is up like crazy. I’d like a beginner’s list to follow Keto to make sure what I’m eating is honest. What podcasts should I listen to first?

What I like to eat:
I eat 3-4 half strips of bacon and a handful of green olives for breakfast, 1 coffee with cream. I am a busy designer, so it is easy to slip past lunch time with nothing more than bottled water. I make dinner every night for us 3. Everyone’s favorite meal is baked chicken thighs with skin on, roasted cabbage wedges and mushrooms with butter. I like oven baked brats with some yellow mustard, and roasted Brussels sprouts. I always make extra for meals the following day.

Last night I lost it. I miss evening snacks terribly. I stood in front of the refrigerator, and then decided to take several sips of heavy whipping cream to get over it, and then I ate 2.5 ounces of cream cheese. Am I ruining things–by eating an evening snack?

What I’d really like is some chocolate. Looking for advice on the subject of chocolate.

Thank you for your help.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

The occasional extra dark chocolate is okay. 85% or higher is best. Make sure you leave room in your carbs for it as it does have some, but not horrible.

I top with either marscapone flavored with vanilla, cinnamon and a drop of Stevia or a 1/2 tablespoon of unsweetened nut butter.

Evening snacking was hard for me to give up too. If you have an IF eating window, you could put an hour or so after dinner as long as it’s in your eating window and it can feel like your evening snack.

(KetoQ) #3

The whipping cream and cream cheese was a great response to your evening hunger.

I only eat once a day (7-8pm), and often finish my meal with full fat greek yogurt mixed with peanut butter. In a funny way it satisfies my sweet tooth and literally keeps me satisfied until the next day.

So what seems to be working for me is ending the last meal of the day with something high fat. I guess it is the last thing to be digested, and will be digested slowly.

I hear ya! I make some blueberry cheesecake fat bombs and plan a couple as dessert. That helps my last memory of taste to be a sweet and I can usually head off to bed w/o a snack now. :blush:

I agree on the snacks part. It can be difficult for me at times. But I try to keep them at least close to meal times. At work sometimes I snack on some macadamias or pecans as I can get hungry like crazy since I often skip breakfast.

I’ve started making a few various snack items to include if my sweet tooth hits. I have some chocolate covered peanut butter balls that are great, and I think 2 net carbs for a serving of two. I use Lily’s chocolate chips for making them (although once used an 86% chocolate bar melted down). I’ve also made some brownies that were good but higher in carbs (6g net each). They don’t always work out (such as some VERY dry peanut butter cookies) but there’s a lot out there to choose from and try. Do some googling and try a few recipes here and there to add to your meals, or least for keto snacks if you have to.

The less you scratch the itch, the less it itches.

Suggest you get temptations out of the proximity of your face. When hit by cravings, drink water, eat avocado, macademias, bacon, etc.

You will occasionally binge, go carb crazy. Meh. No biggie. Good way to get rid of that crap - eat it. It gets easier over time.

(Eva) #8

I still pretty new at this way of eating - but night snacks for me have been blueberries in whipping cream…in a small dish - filled to the brim so it looks like a lot but is only 1/3 cup of blueberries covered in cream - YUMMMM

(Julie Greenwood) #9

OMG. WHAT IS A BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE FAT BOMB? I must learn this one. Did great the first week. Actually dropped 12 lbs. Carbs called me after dinner or when my Beagle wakes me up to go pee. The last three nights I caved :cold_sweat:. 1/2 cup ice cream 1st night. 1/2 pound gained …ok can handle that back on the horse. 2nd night 5 pieces Hershey’s dark choclate one oatmeal raisin cookie…up another pound. 3rd night 3 oatmeal cookies plus 5 milk chocolate pieces… up another 1.5 pounds. I need a good Keto night time snack. I have to lose this weight for joint health.

Maybe try a couple tablespoons of coconut butter (pureed coconut). I find it’s sweet enough to satisfy my sweet tooth but it’s 1 net carb per tbsp and has been keto-friendly for me.

I was crowned Miss Evening Snacks… it’s an honor I will always hold dear! I opt for cheese crisps nowadays instead of chips though. :wink:

(Bunny) #12

Association Between More Frequent Chocolate Consumption and Lower Body Mass Index - Beatrice A. Golomb, MD

6 Ways to use Chocolate on a Ketogenic Diet

CACAO NUT BUTTER FAT BOMBS – THE PERFECT KETO TREAT

Full fat greek yogurt + berries, pecans, toasted unsweetened coconut flakes. About as satisfying as ice cream.

Pork skins are satisfying as a potato/tortilla chip substitute.

I would avoid chocolate personally. Sparks my sweet tooth. Decaf Espresso is a good bean fix in the evening.

Salami/deli meats and tons of cheeses make a good snack anytime.