Maybe a long fast, then?

fasting
extendedfast
vacation

How have you been doing @KetoLikeaLady?

(KCKO, KCFO) #82

I think she is traveling @MelTar, she mentioned Hawaii and a trip to Australia this fall. She hasn’t been posting in her usual hangouts.

(What The Fast?!) #83

Oh heyyyyy ladies!!! @MelTar @collaroygal

It’s been a pretty crazy few weeks. I was in Hawaii last week and then this week 100 ppl from my company were all in town (and all of us staying on the strip) when the shooting happened. It was nuts. I’m okay - and so are all my friends and co-workers.

Keto-wise: I’m following along with the Fat Burning Female (FBF) program, but also in general just eating way more fat than I was before. There’s a FB group called Common Sense Keto that advocates 20g total carbs or less, 50-75g protein, and LOTS of fat. He also recommends eating all your protein earlier in the day. People seem to be having good results. One big change for me is that I’m having a higher frequency of BM’s. All the fat is certainly helping in that department.

I gained a few lbs in Hawaii but haven’t actually gotten on the scale. Something I’m learning in the FBF program is not to let my emptions and self worth be based on the number I see there each morning.

I’ve kind of mentally decided that I’m giving keto until the end of the year. If I still don’t have weight gain, I may do a round of HCG or some other drastic protocol, because while I love having reduced allergies and being fat fueled, weight loss is still my #1 goal - and that just hasn’t happened. I think I’m about 5lbs UP from when I started. Everyone says it’s because my body needs healing… But like, I feel fine!!! My sleep and energy are totally normal, as they always have been.

(Paula Green) #84

Andrea - I am so glad you and your friends are ok.

Thanks for updating, like many others I’m very interested in your journey and still hoping this way of eating works out for you. Good to know that you are giving it until the end of the year. No allergies and more BM’s sound like progress but I totally understand the want for weight loss.

Keep us all posted.

I know exactly what you mean. I had so many people on the FB forum ZIOH tell me I gained 24 fucking pounds on zero carb because my body was healing. I call bullshit on that. I gained weight because for years I maintained a low body weight by restricting calories and training my body to eat 5-6 times a day, and then suddenly switched to eating only meat until “Thanksgiving full” at every meal and never letting myself go hungry (because that’s what the vets on ZIOH recommended). After gaining 24 pounds I felt less mobile and my body fat increased drastically. I don’t consider that healing. It’s taken me 6 months to lose 18 of those extra pounds, and I did it by shutting out platitudes, doing extensive research, and listening to my body.

You will find what works for you @KetoLikeaLady.

Andrea, your curiosity and persistence have been inspiring to many folks on here. If after the end of the year, you decide to leave keto, please keep us posted!
[I agree with Robb Wolf, Mark Sisson and of course Carl and Richard that keto is probably our default setting as human beings, but there seem to be huge variations in the ideal approach for each of us - genetics, personal metabolic history, gender, activity level… it’s just way too complicated for one single approach to work for everyone, and I’m really curious to hear what your perfect balance turns out to be!]

(What The Fast?!) #87

@MelTar @Madeleine anks ladies, you have no idea how much your encouragement means!

I’ve been eating minimal carbs of late (less than 20g), under 75g protein, and LOTS of fat (over 200g). It’s still in line with Shawn Mynar’s program, and also follows the Common Sense Keto protocol. I’m toying with doing almost all protein at breakfast and lunch, with a dinner comprised of 95-100% fat. It seems to be working for many others. I don’t think it’s sustainable though - it seems much easier to have a little protein at dinner as well.

On a different note: I’m actually planning to try the Feldman protocol for cholesterol in the near future. I have to get a cholesterol test for insurance purposes and as a hyper-responder, I know that my numbers are through the roof! I’m going to get a baseline test probably tomorrow and then try his protocol before my actual insurance test, to see how much of an improvement I get. :slight_smile:

If you get a baseline won’t insurance be able to track it?

(What The Fast?!) #89

No I’m going to order it through Request A Test.

Do you have to provide ID? Wondering although it does not matter because I am in a prohibited state. Specifically because my insurance uses LabCorp and so does Request a test in neighboring states. So would it end up in the same account?

(What The Fast?!) #91

Good question. I figured if I ordered it myself and didn’t send a copy to my doctor, it wouldn’t end up anywhere.

(KCKO, KCFO) #92

If they follow HIPPA regulations, and they should be doing that, it is federally mandated. Your private account info should not be given out without your permission.

Agreed. However, if LabCorp is who is used by your regular doctor, the insurance company could have you sign a blanket instruction to all providers which would include LabCorp. Also, if they are used for your insurance based tests, for that you will sign a permission of some type, they may not make a distinction based on the private tests done and the public tests done by your doctor or the insurance comany. IDK, wondering if anyone knows and laws may differ by state

(What The Fast?!) #94

Some guy is going to come to my house for the insurance test.

(Khara) #95

Please let us know your Feldman protocol test outcomes.

(What The Fast?!) #96

will do!

While it has been many years, I believe they ask you for a list of any doctor you have seen in the last couple of years and ask you to sign a release authorizing them to access your records. Maybe someone who has applied for insurance more recently can comment

(What The Fast?!) #98

@MelTar @collaroygal
I stopped tracking my weight, then recently realized that I could take my weight (it connects an app in my phone) and just not look at the number. Then, when I feel like my clothes are fitting looser, I could go back and check.

Well, today, I accidentally saw my weight (from this morning) and I’m almost 10 pounds heavier than when I started keto 7 months ago.

I’m about to have a mental breakdown. I DON’T UNDERSTAND!!! Why is this happening???

(KCKO, KCFO) #99

Andrea, sorry this is causing so much stress for you. I think you need to destress about all of this, but if you want to carry on, think about the following questions. (I’ve been where you are, but I found Keto and transitioned into LCHF and fasting protocols to resolve my issues. I had been on 40c/30f/30p for years and just gained and lost to regain again and had stalls that lastest forever (or they felt that way at least).

Are your clothes fitting looser?
Are you over exercising for the amount of food you are eating? (not enough cals.in?)
Is the Fat Burning Female you are currently doing, providing any support for issues for users of the protocol?
Are you tracking your ketones, BG levels, etc.?

I really hope you get it all sorted out successfully.

Ugh, Andrea, I’m on my phone so can’t even speculate uselessly. I’m really sorry and sending hugs. If I hadn’t followed your whole story up to here I’d probably just suggest (nicely, I hope) that you’re overreacting, but given everything you’d done… ugh, you must be so frustrated.
Does this fit your new program in any way? Is it expected/common within the first stretch? (On my phone I can’t scroll up to see what it’s called)