May zero!

Ah yes, I remember now. I knew you were quite dairy-free. That’s why it’s good to get your input.

Butter or cream? Or is that all dairy foods cut out?

The bone scan is great information. I’d guess you get plenty of vitamin D, and I wonder where the k2 comes from in a stricter carnivore WOE?

In growing mammals the phosphorus to calcium ratio of all meat diet can cause an imbalance problem, but that is usually offset by milk because they/we are mammals. But once our bone growth plates fuse and the extent of skeletal architecture is set for the rest of our lives the imbalance is not as apparent in adulthood because the growth demands are gone. I guess it may be a factor for kids whose parents are rectitudinous carnivores, like the kids in vegan families. But kids tend to feed outside of family control, so in a food abundant world, my imagination is probably just generating fake news.

Thanks Elizabeth for sharing your knowledgeable experience.

Did you recover quickly from the sunburn?

I think it is nutritional ketosis that gives the protection against sunburn. It was something to do with intracellular NAD and NADPH in cellular biochemistry.

As zero carb carnivore is not necessarily a ketogenic diet, that would explain reduced sunburn resilience.

I notice I drop out of nutritional ketosis, unless I focus on a PKD regimen, when I do these carnivore challenges.

That’s why I’m starting to think carnivore challenges are best done as a seasonal winter-time thing. With keto in summer.

(Not a cow) #164

I discovered that I had allergic reactions to milk and to some degree other dairy products since about age 35. Previous to that it never bothered me. It was more of a tiredness and a mental slowdown reaction, which I always described as the feeling you had after a couple of drinks, you know, when you just reached the “buzz” stage.

Cheese and butter have a similar effect, but not as much, so I continued with them, and even yogurt, and I started to get used to and even enjoy that light buzzed stage even while at work ;), On keto all of these high fat foods were important, but on carnivore, not so much. Eliminating that buzzed feeling, or now as I know it to be more aptly described as brain fog, is a reason I thought I would try carnivore.

Biting in to a hunk of cheese, for me, is not the same as chomping on a piece of meat, I can feel the tiredness sweeping over me, the calming feeling of the brain fog rolling in, it’s so addictive like alcohol, or maybe weed might be. I’m afraid I’m a cheap drunk on $5 worth of old cheese. haha. Hardly a fuel to get the body going, but I’ll still use it as a filler for my burgers, but a goal of mine is to eliminate it completely from my diet for a while, and introduce it once in a while at a more healthy level.

I’ll continue with butter on my eggs, and as a dip for my shrimp and my meat/steak but for me the goal is to give cheese the heave ho. As long as I still drink coffee, I will use butter and a bit of WC for an occasional mock BP version.

^^^ This does sound yummy!

Dairy thoughts ~ Hopefully it’s not wrong of me to write how it is in my life. I do have my carni days, I just keep falling of the wagon and coming back… But I never give up and every more or less proper day is something I appreciate from the uncontrolled me with non-ideal circumstances.

I eat dairy, it’s pretty much inevitable on a carnivore-ish diet with little meat (still no good news from the usual farm, not even beef now so I eat only smoked pork and fish now and no way I use big amounts. I daydream of wonderful mutton stews sometimes. or pork ribs and sausages from the oven. rabbits and chicken would be great too. and I will have them, eventually). I need my calcium and variety (but I probably don’t get really much calcium from my dairy as I never consume much).
I use close to no butter. It’s very expensive and not as delicious as lard (well, it’s different), I have some and use it sometimes, a few grams per week. My added fat is lard and I use as little as I comfortably can. I never put pure fat into my coffee, I drink most of them black and some with a few drops of HWC and sometimes an egg.
Yogurt never was my thing. I didn’t really understand why I would consume some dense watery stuff that has almost nothing and tastes little? If I eat dairy, that should be high-fat. I still buy kefir sometimes because it’s sour and I love sour, maybe once per year? I did it about 2 weeks ago but it probably was the last time as I can’t stand that amount of sugar in that watery nothing. The sugar suits HWC way better, I always use it for desserts anyway while I never used yogurt and kefir for desserts just alone.
I had almost completely lactose free years but now I need my dairy and I am not lactose intolerant anyway. My body just dislikes sugar. I use HWC and sour cream, as little as possible, they have quite much sugar, after all. From my viewpoint, at least. And my abilities to eat them in big amounts.

I don’t drink milk since ages but it reappeared in my household lately and I tried some in my coffee. Definitely not a great idea. No serious problems but I appreciate the very subtle hints of my body.

Cheese. I almost only eat gouda (no lactose) but some smoked carby cheese goes well with egg whites, that happens too. I keep my cheese intake low. I don’t even desire much and while I never could test it extensively, it seems to me that cheese has a low satiation effect on me. It’s probably still better than added fats, HWC and sour cream, they are just great tools to raise my calories.
Eggs are nicely satiating, I was amazed until i started to eat fatty meat. That’s sooo much better at it. Eggs and fatty meat - a terrific combo. And cheese is my “spice”, just like cream. Tiny extra but I could live without them. I could live without added fat too.

So dairy is a nice extra, helps a lot but not vital as long as I have enough meat with enough variety. Maybe in the future. I surely will stop eating dairy every day then.

I didn’t wonder much about nutrition since I started to flirt with carnivore. I do what I can (I am a bit limited), that should be enough for now. My body responded well so I know my direction must be right.
It helps with my eggs too. I like them better and find them more exciting on carnivore(-ish).

just a note…K2 is not a problem on zero carb: Meat supplies all you need truly. One of the greatest sources of protein, medium fat ground beef is also a decent source of vitamin K2. It contains 8 mcg per 3.5 ounce serving. Eat about 500 grams (17 ounce) of minced beef and you would also be consuming nearly all the vitamin K2 you need in a day. While most types of seafoods provide only small amounts of vitamin K2, there are some that are rich in this micronutrient. Oysters contain 4.2 mcg per 3 ounce serving. A 3-ounce serving of canned pink salmon has 0.4 mcg of this vitamin, while the same amount of shrimp gives 0.3 mcg. And more K2 like in egg yolks etc.

oh I didn’t know you were that reactive to dairy. sounds lousey….yea I would walk towards giving it up if you get like that OR rip off the bandaid and go all in now HAHA either way just keep doing you and how you feel with the dairy etc.

don’t rely on bone broth in this way of eating. ZC’ers are to eat. We eat. In fact I posted a video in the other thread from the Carb Addiction Doc and it is a shortie youtube vid, and he ain’t all in ZC but he gets it and why we must eat to total fullness on carnivore. Don’t ‘drink your food’ and many people can balance their bone broth/liquids and still eat very well…many people find drinking bone broth takes away their appetite. Not eating is not a good thing on zc ever actually…so if you go there with bone broth be wary of how it effects you. If you sip some and eat well…good addition, if it takes your appetite away from eating good meat and seafood, it isn’t a good addition.

just something to keep in mind.

Ohhh, sorry about that truly. It is hard when the main foods you want to eat like the biggie meat, beef is not available and you are having such a hard time buying now. Hope things get easier for ya!!

-------ate good yesterday, wasn’t too hungry thru the day

10 oz beef tenderloin, omg so good
5 slices salami
1/3 lb. burger patty
can of sardines

The countdown begins…5, 4, 3, 2, 1

only 5 days left in May :slight_smile:

wow it is flying now…end of May in our midst!

I scored on 2 big beef tenderloins. Me and Barb hit Sams Club. Limit 1 beef selection per person…Barb bought me one also.
So ribeye was $15.99 lb. Tbones like $14.99 and here was a big old beef tenderloin at $10.99 a lb. Oh heck yea. Price shock on 2 but a gal’s gotta do what a gal’s gotta do :slight_smile: Came home, cut up into steak packages for freezer and I am in my glory for sure. I know I have to roll on whole cuts now for price survival I think. Barb said when I get low that me and her will go again and I can restock. Hope that lower price keeps holding on big cuts. Thank goodness for good friends with membership cards LOL

Count down to June…for June I am holding thru on being strict and watching me. I got 2 lbs. gone for May. I doubt more. Seems the weight loss gods is only giving me that but I am fine with just that :slight_smile:

Let’s see what our final days in May gives to all of us and then we can update what ZC benefits we gained in May from our plan.

Hope everyone is doing well and thriving on zc!!

(Daisy) #168

I typically do more of a higher fat keto carnivore approach and am usually in ketosis when I test (randomly). I’m still quite badly sunburnt lol. I am super fair skinned and have had sun poisoning in my youth, so I’m usually much more careful in the sun. I’ve gotten a little lax since going carnivore in hopes of better sun absorption. Yesterday I gave up that hope and went back to slathering myself in sunblock. No new sunburn from a day in full sun :sun_with_face:

(Daisy) #169

I think I forgot to post yesterday. It was another full day working outside, we were building walls. My eating window was super weird. I had leftover ground beef (that actually had some spices I wouldn’t normally eat, but didn’t want to waste it) and a ribeye for meal 1 and a super lean steak with some beef suet for a late meal 2 (like 7pm- I rarely eat that late)

Loving your pics KD!!
You’re eating great…big protein for big working days!!

End of challenge challenge.

Forgot to get steak!

Bacon and eggs breakfast with black coffee. Satiety WHAM!

Worked all day. Looked up, it’s 8pm. And I feel hungry.

Dinner is bacon and fish. Fish dipped in egg. It’s a white fish, like cod. A tropical Australian reef fish.

I have never had this combination before. But it works just fine. Satiety WHAMMO!

(Daisy) #172

That sounds yummy @FrankoBear. It’s awesome the combinations of meats we can come up with lol.
I’ve been a cranky bear today. I’m covered in sunburns, mysterious bumps randomly over my body, and various aches and pains. I made a small ribeye this morning and thought I would need more, so heated up a big bowl of leftover ground beef, but only took about 2 bites of that and then ate it for meal 2 with some brisket. I have lost a couple lbs, but for me that doesn’t always mean anything… we’ll see if it keep dropping or jumps back up.

That mysterious folliculitis rash I had as well on carnivore challenges. For me it was on appendages. It isn’t purulent but in some patches I could see white material under the epidermis. I wondered if it were oxalate crystal shedding. The patches went scaley (white) and peeled away over time (skin shedding, maybe I have reptilian genetics?).

well that was your problem, you looked up :wink:

if ya kept on working you wouldn’t have been hungry at all HAHA

WHAMMO! You are doing great!!!

mysterious bumps…remember too you are residing your home right? near any type of insulation or other materials that could cause a reaction like rash type with contact? Those little bumps seem more of an allergic reaction to something you ‘got into’ kinda. I was walking a trail up a mountain and when I got home I had bumps on my ankles and lower leg and only thing I thought of was I walked thru some scrub bush and more and I bet something ‘got me’ my body didn’t like LOL I have no clue on them but there they were, little itchy and then gone fast enough. Use some like calamine lotion or hydrocortisone type cream and that might help you. Just a guess on it :slight_smile:

I do that too, eat a bit smaller and think I need more and go off and get more and then find, nope don’t really want it…I so get that.

CNOGRATS for a few lbs done. It won’t come back on ya at all if you just hold carnivore as you are doing. I also love that the lbs. kinda mean nothing cause the body composition keeps changing to leaner and meaner anyway on zc so…you keep rocking it KD…you are doing so darn great!!!

May may go away…well darn if it isn’t almost over. May went fast to me guys!!! Few more days, everyone hang onto their carnivore ways and do great til the end and of course into June :slight_smile:

I am battling sinus issues. Clogged up ear, got that bit of sinus throb between the eyes, kinda in a brain fog with just a head clogged up…rain and more rain here so just taking allergy/sinus meds to help me thru. And this is making me feel like I am not at full swing, just kinda not that darn hungry.

but this morn I woke up hungry so I will be eating bigger today for sure.

(Daisy) #177

Yeah my husband thinks I had a reaction to the work boots I was wearing. I’m thinking maybe they were holding some poison ivy oils in them. I haven’t worn them in over a year though, so I don’t know how long oils last on shoes…
I was back up almost the full 2 lbs today… my body just naturally fluctuates 5 lbs. it’s so annoying lol
This morning I was super hungry early. Normally I would have a cup of bone broth to hold me over, but I’m trying a week or so without it. I took a handful of salt and that bought me … 10 minutes lol. So I ate. First meal was cold brisket and fat. Second meal was a ribeye and liver. I didn’t eat any of the extra brisket fat that was on the plate.

(Not a cow) #178

I did this all the time, the fish and eggs and bacon too. Was more of a Keto breakfast for me, and use to pair it with some homemade sauerkraut too. Some how I’ve lost the motivation to make and eat sauerkraut anymore, but really enjoy not seeing that jar of messy looking stuff in my fridge. Now just eggs, beef, and leftover meat. haha.

Last two nights , rib-eye and burgers. Bought 4 more ribeyes too finish May O on a good note. Some spicy butcher made burger patties to add in, hope they are okay.

(Not a cow) #179

No chance that I won’t make it Fangs, everyday another rib-eye for May 0, but looking forward to June 1, cause for me, it’s deadline day at work, and all that extra stress will be free falling.

Sorry to hear about the sinus issues, so annoying, I’m not familiar with those symptoms, but anytime I can’t breathe, have running nose, runny eyes, and pounding head, I am pretty much useless. Give me my blankie and check on me in the morning. :wink:

Summer coming, so for me that means a little golf and a little alcohol and a little social distancing with friends. Can’t be strict in June or July, but as a practicing psychic I see no vege’s in my future! :crystal_ball::cut_of_meat:

yea they can hold long for sure. longer than we think.

heck even in the Artic, the permafrost is defrosting and heck caribou are getting anthrax from the old virus in the soil and heck people were dying also…so if crazy stuff like this goes down, who knows how long anything can nail our butts to the wall…oils are long long lasting for sure! Glad you kinda figured that out :slight_smile: Hope you are doing good thru it.

Loving your posts KD…such great updates. Never worry on that fluctuation cause it is a normal thing but eventually down the scale we go EVEN if super slow and the good thing is…now is the time to maybe do measurements. Pick one spot only. Just measure that, and ZC will show you differences as our bodies change to lean and mean. we will be thinner and toned at a much higher weight being zc with good body composition etc…then just being a number on a scale. That is a given for us on this plan!! :slight_smile:

Eatin’ good in the neighborhood for you!!

heck that is my sinus/allergy issues LOL but I crack thru them cause life moves on.

I don’t know but that is strict on zero carb in that you stay from all plant eating crap you are carnivore LOL!! Alcohol is allowed but monitored obvy……we don’t eat people so no worries there, you can distance, and golf is not zc related so your golfing is good…so heck you are fine that I see :slight_smile: :slight_smile: ZC all the way baby.

Your ribeyes sound wonderful and ‘’‘spicy’’’ burgers or was the butcher a ‘spicy’ person? I am missing on that one HAHA You spicing up your life? Loving that :slight_smile: :slight_smile: