May zero!

Don’t the producers finish Wagyu on grain to get the extra marbling of fat through the muscle?

Wagyu is available here but most of our beef is pasture fed and finished. The autumn flush of pasture has improved the quality of meats and fats. Strange the things that one notices. Summer slaughtered meat just doesn’t taste as good. Whereas pasture fed when pasture is verdant seems nicer, more complex and rich flavours. Or as Bunny may point out, I am starting to hallucinate as I have primarily been eating beef.

Great effort though Daisy. Sorry to jump in with the Wagyu question. You are doing amazing with all those different meats and animal foods.

Interesting day.

Last night I had pasture fed steak (I do like a Scotch Fillet), about 300g, with 2 fried eggs (over easy) and a mug of beef bone broth, nice and salty.

This morning I had my cup of coffee while listening to nutrition podcasts. And I set out to sort out some Internet connection to the off grid property.

But we are expecting a big storm to hit us tomorrow afternoon. An unseasonal cyclone (hurricane) has spun down from the tropics and it has had a tryst with a Southern Ocean storm front. The result looks tornado generating worrying.

So today I moved a forest. That is to say, I have been growing a food forest of fruit (avocado & olives) and citrus trees in pots on our property, getting them ready for landscape and food forest planting around our new tiny house this winter. The trees are all in pots. But some are at sizes that give the full squat and deadlift work out. I moved them all into the shed. We now have a shed forest until we weather this predicted storm.

In all that I forgot to eat. So it turned out to be an unintentional 24 hour fast. Which I broke with sardines, bacon and eggs in a scramble. I had to have sardines because @Fangs reminded me of one of the joys of our recent summer time carnivore challenge being surf’n’turf! Everytime Fangsy reported she ate another trawler’s worth of shrimp with her immaculately cooked steak, I got a hankering.

Woof that is steep and would you believe my regular old small grocery store just hiked ribeyes up to $19.99/lb and that is regular old choice cut…the prime cuts hit like $22 or so? can’t remember but I know I said ouch big time.

$5 for the burger is good. I hit grass fed burger on sale for $5 a lb. and bought one for taste and it was decent. When it sales down again I will grab like 10 for the freezer. Any lower prices we hit are a good thing for us!

I believe meat hikes are coming fast at us, eh, all prices are gonna hike. heck my store I buy local brand sinus pills cause they are cheap and work fab for me…they doubled the price. I went to grab my 4 boxes and I stopped in my tracks when my eyes hit the price line and it was double than that from when I bought some last week. I stock those suckers. Made me sad truly LOL

My meat man said my ribeyes are not going on sale at 5.99 anymore, he said lucky if the sale price will be onjly 8.99 or 9.99 as the low sale cost…yikes. Time to hit up my custom butcher buy and buy a whole cut at lower cost. Time to be pinching some pennies on my meat buys…ugh.

Love your pics. Glad you are sleeping better and feeling better! I never like feeling ‘off’ anymore…on zc I notice real fast if I have an off icky day ya know and I don’t like it but luckily being zc means my days are only getting better and better for me :slight_smile:

---------so I had my second OOPS crap didn’t stay 0 day last night.

Ahhhh…….I wanted a few drinks and darn if I didn’t do fake sweetener but I controlled it to very low. I used powder fake fruit punch crap and added bit of water and a lot of rum and I keep the pinch of punch crap very low. I can’t handle the sweet taste but with my rum drink I wanted it. I was in party mode and nothing was gonna stop me…heeheeee.

Rare for me to party out anymore but I attacked some rum and used fake sweetener fruit punch as mix. Used powder and made very very light taste for my drink. Before bed I was UP 9 lbs. and thought holy moly…no way I am dropping all that and I will gain up my 1 lb. I recently lost at least, maybe 2/3 more and thought darn it, stupid booze…but…….happy to report that did not happen LOL ----- I dropped the whole 9 and am holding my low. whew…party time, I needed it, and I have to say I slept wonderful last night and feel good this morning. Can’t push that again, just a wanted to party a bit night and I did, now I won’t do that again for like 3-4 months at least HAHA

got a nice 1 lb. ‘cheaper costing’ ribeye steak for tonight from the freezer. I dread price hikes coming but it is what it is. I will pay it. I don’t put money into a doctor ever, my zc ways keeps me healthy, wealthy and wise ya know, so money into good meat is key for me.

hope everyone is ok!!

LOL darn right I attack a lb. of shrimp in a seating LOL
and I know that hankering too :slight_smile: sardines are one of those things when I want them, I have to have them like immediately. Love my sardines too like I love my shrimp !!!

very cool you are getting your homestead set up better and how you want it. sounds like you are making it all what you want and how you want it but of course it involves back breaking work.

I know when we were in full swing on the farm the animals and crops and the whole of it kept us at full speed and back breaker days 24/7. Glad that is over the older we are now, great when younger, so much harder when older LOL…but it is great to take pride in fixing your new home how you want it! Love that for ya!!

(Daisy) #146

I have no idea. I’m not a 100% grass finished girl. I prefer it (the cow we buy every year is grass finished), but I eat easily just as much grain finished, either from my local butcher, or just from bargain meat at the grocery store. Everyone raves over wagyu, so I wanted to try it once in my life lol.
@Fangs yeah all our meat prices have gone sky high!

(Not a cow) #147

YES, This ^ was my breakfast this morning. Ready and rare-ing to go ! The steak and me both ! :slight_smile:

Breaking the budget this month with all the rib-eye eating lately. 100 % worth it though, (taste buds talking) as I have to give this carnivore eating an all out fair try. Weight loss todate has been 4 lbs over 3 weeks, and I’m good with that.

Had a few low carb beers yesterday at a friends, first time alcohol in 2 1/2 months, but the weather was gorgeous and I was tired of working and quarantining. Felt a little heart burn after the 3 rd beer which is unusual for me, I’ll have to keep an eye on it. I guess I’m the first one out on strict May zero, but I’m still in the fight, like any carnivore would be. haha.

(Not a cow) #148

You too! :partying_face: Okay I was with you on this one, phew not kicked out of the May zero club !

(Not a cow) #149

They finally arrived EatMeat Meat%20Bar

I ordered these back on May 2nd and they said they would take a while to get here as they were a little behind, but they came earlier than expected.

Quite satisfying, while not as good as all of the reviews indicated, pretty interesting texture of a light crunchy peanut butter. *Does Not Taste Like Peanut Butter so get that out of your head. Taste like meat, some people online compared the texture and taste to pemmican, but I’ve never had that so I can’t comment whether or not that true.

Anyway I just felt I needed to buy these, cause they look cool in the wrapper, and I had been eating too much cheese as a go to snack. As far as taste, it was okay for what they are for, but obviously just eating real meat, which I can, is better tasting.

Oh ya, here is the website if you want take a look https://carnivorebar.com/

Yea me too Moo…the booze called my name earlier than the usual memorial day drink I might have…but since I already played, I won’t be drinking again for a while. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

and ya know tho….alcohol is allowed on carnivore but me and you choose the forbidden crap…you went beer and I went with a twist of the fake sweetener fruit punch crap mixed in water with my rum LOL
we screwed up kinda HAHA

(Daisy) #151

Why do I go off beef only? I feel so good on beef. I easily fasted for over 21 hours, without even a thought of food! My sleep is still terrible though and still some slight digestion issues. We worked our tails off outside today tearing off the side of our house and my whole body aches. Plus I got badly burned (so jealous of these carnivores that don’t burn in the sun) so I can imagine my sleep will be crappy again tonight.
2 tiny lean round steaks and 2 super lean slices of beef heart, so I added some suet. Then just some ground beef and frozen liver slices for meal 2. I probably ate just over half of that skillet, which was a 1.33 lb package. Rest is in the fridge for tomorrow. No broth today, as I’m through my jar and will finish the elimination without it. I made it to the farmers market 1 minute before they closed and got to talk to the only meat farmer there. I bought some pig and goat liver! Excited to try those in a couple weeks. He’s supposed to send me a price list.

Yes and I so get that as do many zc people. Beef is key for us. Literally most of us live on beef and more beef cause we feel best on it. Beef has that overall rounded nutritional needs we require and just suits so many of us. We monkey with tons of bacon, eggs, pork, lamb, throw in seafood/fish and more but for tons of us, in the end BEEF rules the kingdom LOL

Very cool pics…that is a lot of work on the side of your house. And I know many zc’ers say the sun thing and burn doesn’t happen etc. but I wonder on that one LOL only cause if fair skin etc. you are gonna tan or burn or whatever, I just don’t see how zc can change that kinda? but now ya know, some sunscreen required :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Sorry on the sleep. Could be many reasons. I am having some sleep troubles but it seems every now and then it goes down like that. Just not tired, but tired, but wired up a bit. I don’t know…haha…I just get thru it best I can when I must.

You are doing fab KD! Rock on!!!

HOLY MOLY.

DOWN 1 lb. A whole l lb. off the scale. Now I am 2 lbs. for May.

I didn’t expect another whole lb. gone this morning. I even said thanks for my scale, usually something I want to throw out the window and burn ya know.

2 lbs for the month seems like nothing truly and it kinda is when one is wanting weight loss, but thing is I eat all I want, when I want, never limit, skimp or track or anything and I love living and eating on this lifestyle like that and the body gives up the lbs. when it is ready. That is working fine for me for sure.

yesterday food was

1 lb. ribeye steak. got a great one, so tender and delish. yum
small burger patty
5 slices salami
2 chicken breasts pan fried in butter

I ate darn good yesterday LOL so to see that lb. hit the road when eating big like that in my day, such a thrill for me.

Going to defrost beef tenderloin steak for later.
Might pair with chicken again or seafood? not sure but whatever I do eat will make me very happy whatever I land on in addition to my beef meal.

We are rocking out our May zero. May 24…so close ya know. I kinda have that feeling of where in the heck did May go LOL

(Daisy) #154

Woot woot!! Congratulations!

thanks KD…all good things come for those who wait…and stay on the darn zc plan as intended LOL

(Daisy) #156

I never took my 2nd meal picture. We went to five guys and I got 2 burger patties. I was still starving and ate about half of another burger patty from my kids burgers. So it had a little cheese. First meal was leftover ground beef and a burger patty. And yes, I slept horribly last night lol.

KD I haven’t been to a 5 guys burger joint in a long time but I know they got good burgers :slight_smile: The ones around me are kinda far drive, but now you have me wanting some burgers from them LOL

------good morning
doing well and just cruising along with zc
today I have beef tenderloin defrosting for later.
I think shrimp with my alfredo sauce for dipping for second meal, maybe paired up with a burger.

got me a nice chuck roast that I will be putting in the crockpot for tomorrow defrosting also. I am hankering for a big old mess of chuck roast to eat :slight_smile: Love it from the crockpot.

I actually feel sad that May is winding down. I am loving May zero :sunny: I love a focus like this in my life along with some good friends doing the same thing!! A June zero? hmmm…lol

(Daisy) #158

Today was a Pete and repeat day lol. 2 lbs of the wagyu burgers. 1 lb for meal one and 1 for meal 2.

I think cheese as a part of a carnivore challenge is important. We need to explore that more in this experience.

I haven’t had any milk for many years, even on keto. But heavy cream does appear in the intakes as does quite a lot of butter as my preferred fat. I only seem to take in bovine dairy. Other than that there is cheese. I don’t eat yoghurt except to stir it through as a sauce, but I can’t remember the last time I ate yoghurt. My wife eats tubs of it with fruit each week.

I think the fermented or cultured forms of bovine dairy, being butter and cheese in this context, have their importance for fat delivery and the fat soluble vitamin, vitamin K2. That makes sure calcium goes to the skeleton and teeth and not in to soft tissue. Especially if you are outdoors a lot.

There is also a lot of phosphorus in the skeletal muscle meat in a carnivore diet and that needs balancing by providing other food mineral sources. Butter and cheeses can do that. It’s also why regular doses of yummy, salty bone broth are good, or slow cooked (all day) bone containing stews because the minerals can leach into the food. I wonder if it’s also why some of us get a hankering for surf n turf? Those sea critters are packed with calcium and other minerals.

Tell me more about cheese (and butter) in your carnivore mix?

@Elizedge et al

(Elizabeth ) #160

I don’t eat any I completely cut it out when I went carnivore, I keep trying to reintroduce cheese every 3 months but even an ounce or 2 slows down my digestion and makes my ankles swell. I’m not worried about calcium, I had a bone scan at 2 years carnivore that was actually slightly better than the one 5 years previous. If I think about it I’ll eat some sardines with bones maybe once a month? I also don’t drink bone broth or eat any slow-cooked meats because they make me break out from a histamine reaction, probably the same reason I don’t tolerate eggs.

Yesterday we had that huge hurricane size storm hit. It was a once in a 10 year storm event. Except we had a storm from the southern ocean 2 weeks ago just as severe. The hurricane, or cyclone as we call them, spun down from the tropics outside of the regular tropical storm season. Cows flying past and crushed wicked witches sure can take one’s mind of global virus pandemics, but not May Zero.

Lots of broken trees and power blackouts. These were wind storms mainly, not much rain nor hail. Sunshine is back today but the chooks have gone off the lay. They only had just finished moulting. I’m just happy they are alive.

Yesterday in the storm, I had the wood fire going, our off grid power meant we had power for water pumps and fridge and freezers. We’ll run some cords out to neighbours because the power grid repairs will take a few days, and not all of them have generators. Our place, in an emergency storm or bushfire, becomes the local power plant. (I think all neighbourhoods should be designed like this).

Yesterday I ate some ham and a Swiss cheese, I think it is called Grueyre? for breakfast. First time in May no eggs! Then for 2MAD it was a small bowl slow cooked lamb stew, large mug of hot, salty beef bone broth, then blue mouldy melted cheese on a 300g scotch fillet steak, and 2 fried eggs.