May 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(back and doublin' down) #481

I think my forum time today is going to be on studying supplement thoughts. Such a confusing piece to me. Avoiding food threads because…

I’ve made it to Day #3! and I feel good. Was a little dizzy and clumsy this morning. Treated myself to some HWC in my first cup of coffee. Have the day off, see some hiking in my future.

KCFO!

(Perpetua) #482

How much did you lose with each fast?

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #483

Just reached 96 hrs. my head is feeling a little weird and foggy.
I do not want to break my fast just yet. at 6pm. i prefer to do it in the morning.

Just had my ultima electrolyte replenisher, lets see how that goes

(Robert C) #484

On the 13-day fast I went from 215 (97.5 kilograms) down to 199 pounds (90.3 kilograms) on the last morning of the fast.
But, then I went back up to 208 pounds (94.3 kilograms) after 4 days of regular keto so my net loss was 7 pounds - I am a 5’ 8’’ (1.7 meter tall male).

After that disheartening climb back up from the measuring-right-at-the-end-of-the-fast I do not measure-right-at-the-end-of-the-fast anymore.
So, now I only weigh after 4 or more days of regular keto to keep track of meaningful change and therefore can’t give a number for the 4-day fast.
In fact, I won’t be able to give a number for a while because I am going to do either 6 days fasting 1 day feeding or 5 days fasting 2 days feeding for the next 3 weeks.

(Steve) #485

Not really a plan that I can point to. I bumped up my calories to about 2300 per day and fat was about 170g of that for two days prior to the EF. I thought that might be long enough to lull the body into a feeling of abundance and increase my BMR…heh…but obviously not. (I figured n=1…I’ll try it and see).
My daily macros have been (without exercise):
1800 calories, 20g Carbs, 160g Fat, 68g Protein, 2300 Sodium, 4700 Potassium
(of course, we never come anywhere close to hitting that Potassium goal, but getting enough Sodium ensures we don’t lose the micronutrients in our cells much).

If anyone has any numbers on how many days produced a successful result, I’d love to have them!! :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #486

Ok finally did my 36 hr. fast, actually it ended up being 37.5 hrs. of fasting. After attempting it several times this week without success, I was happy this round worked. I guess my body really wanted to refeed more.

Liz, glad you are not getting push back, and are getting some support from the family. You are a great ad for keto. I saw a FB page with side by side before and after pictures of you. You are absolutely glowing in that after picture and you look like a different person. Well done!!!

Thanks for the advice on magnesium; I didn’t realise that, I avoided the citrate because I don’t need any help!!
I’m glad that you’re able to see some positives in the sad time you’re having & have stayed strong- indeed a great role model for your family!

@CandyLindTX & @Hardrock_keto_chick - thanks for the advice, I’ll take it on board.
Someboday told me their cure for cramp today, but says no-one ever believes him- put a bar of soap under the mattress, he said it’s worked for 10 years for him!!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #489

:joy: Show me the science :joy::joy:
Tell me if it works for you… Placebo maybe?

(Andrea) #490

Ok so I tapped out at 64hrs…not quite as long as I was wanting. But hubby came home from shopping with fresh langoustines and also some printemps camembert…ahhh all good.

Going to do a 2 day fast next week again…I’m away for a couple of days with work so maybe that will be the perfect time to do it.

(Robin) #491

@Juke88 I had a similar issue. It turned out I was lactose intolerant. So, it could be a food sensitivity. I might try a food elimination diet or do a food sensitivity panel with your doctor. Not sure what else it could be. Good luck!

(Candy Lind) #492

I’ve heard that, but don’t know if there’s any science behind it.

(E.O.) #493

thanks for sharing your experience. reading this gave me ideas for my own upcoming first trial at EF. i am still working up to it. now that I’ve read your post and reflected upon it, I recall seeing a video (maybe a year or more ago now) free at the time on Amazon prime in which it documentary style chronicled a cold-war era soviet program long since buried of treating serious illnesses with long-term fasts, medically supervised. They broke their fasts with bone broth. Makes sense why you started with kimchi.

(back and doublin' down) #494

I’m at 75 hours! WhooHooo…and still going strong.

The Science of Fasting! That’s one of the big reasons I’m trying this EF. Ok, maybe doing rather than just trying at this point.

Just amazed that my stomach has only growled once, haven’t lost energy. Was a little dizzy this morning, and that too passed. My new thought is 'I’m really fat adapted!" Don’t think these three days would have been so smooth otherwise. I kinda wondered, now I don’t. Intend to come out of this fast backing off some on the percentage of fat and let my body keep doing what it’s doing!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #495

110 hrs.
Don’t really feel hungry but I’ve got headaches.
Also my stomach won’t shut up. Soo mean. I was soooo close to my goal.
Oh well. It is the longest fast I did since starting to use the tracker in december so I am still proud of the outcome

UPDATE: BPC Helped a lot with the headaches.
Lets see how it goes and if I can stretch to tomorrow morning…

(Allie) #496

Maybe caffeine withdrawal headache rather than due to fasting? That’s why I’ll have black coffees when I do water fasts x

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #497

It was actually a BP Tea… So, that wasn’t it. so I guess the fat in it helped. Maybe my metabolism wasn’t able to draw enough fat from stores? or produce enough glucagon to get me up and running? I don’t know.

(Allie) #498

Caffeine in tea too, just not as much. Yes could be your body just needed a fat boost too.

Have you managed to keep on fasting?

I’m planning another EF next week.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #499

Start: Mon 21.05.2018 16:00 (104.3kg) End sat 6:00 97.7 / 215,4
Total Loss: 6,6kg 14.6 pds duration 134hrs

Head is better but the stomach gurgling is relentless. I am very happy with the results.
Now let’s experiment with refeeding…

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #500

M/W/F alternate day fasting :white_check_mark:! Showed myself that I could do it. I fasted when I was stressed out, not in the mood, craving all of the things and hungry. I could hear Jason Fung in my head saying it’s not fun, it’s not easy but it’s doable (paraphrasing). I did not die :joy:.

I’ll weigh and measure myself on Monday after 2 eating days then start another round. Spoiler alert I already know I’ve lost inches since I had the tape measure out yesterday :shushing_face:. Cravings were out of control yesterday so I did everything I could think of to stay on track.

This was a huge development. Historically I listen to any excuse to throw in the towel!

:tada::tada::tada: