May 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Robert C) #461

Just finished a 100-hour fast.
Breaking the 13-day fast (which I did in the first 13 days of this month) vs. the 100-hour fast:

• 13-day fast 100 grams of kimchi - waited 45 minutes (100-hour fast only waited 20 minutes)
  • 13-day fast 2 handfuls of arugula sauteed in ghee - waited 45 minutes (100-hour fast only waited 20 minutes)
  • 13-day fast 1 medium sausage - about 90 minutes later, keto (as much as possible) dinner in a restaurant (100-hour fast waited 30 minutes after sausage and then keto dinner at home)

Zero intestinal distress breaking the 13-day fast
Definite intestinal distress (lower gut pain and gurgling) breaking the 100-hour fast with the faster breaking pace

It seems the 3-hour span including 3 light items before dinner on a much longer fast beat out (in terms of pain avoidance) the 1-hour and 10-minute span for the same items even after a much shorter fast

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #462

Still experimenting with breaking the fast so thanks for sharing!

86 hours. Feel good. As always on end of day 3 I had trouble falling asleep. Duracell Bunny mode as I call it.
96 should be no problem. I’ll maybe break my fast somewhere in the afternoon tomorrow. (110hrs) maybe I go on if that’s what my body wants.

Finishing mine this morning, leg cramps again last night, I just can’t seem to get the electrolyte balance right- as soon as I do any exercise it’s back to cramps again. Feel such a noob!! (112.4lbs this morning though!)
@RobC - learning lessons as well? I hope to avoid my stomach issues this morning!
@collaroygal - glad it’s going better for you!

(Candy Lind) #464

Are you taking salt before your workout? Try a 1g salt tablet or 1/2 tsp of kosher or table salt, with plenty of water. Do you know how much you’re getting per day?

If you don’t supplement magnesium, I suggest you read up on it here in the forum and start taking some (start slow, especially with Mag. Citrate, as it has a laxative effect. It’s what I take to keep regular as well as a supplement).

I use sea salt, keep some out & dip my finger in regularly through the day, not sure exactly how much I have, & I do take mag oxide tabs, 500mg, 1 or 2 per day, plus potassium 99mg about 3x per week. I have a spell where all’s well, &I think I’m getting it right, then cramps again! I didn’t think of salt tablets, maybe I’ll have a look for them.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #466

I love the Magnesium brand ‘natural calm with calcium’ I’ll have a heaped teaspoon in the morning and one in the evening. Plus pink Himalayan or seasalt throughout the day.
Most often does the trick for me.
If I forget two days in a row I will totally feel it.

(Allan L) #467

OK, only did a 24hr fast. Talked myself into eating with a million reasons I can no longer remember!

Lets start again, 12 hrs and counting!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #468

I know that feeling, when your body is ready it will let you know.
But hey, 24 hrs is huge already. congrats!

(Liz ) #469

I copied and pasted this magnesium guide, apologies to whomever I cribbed it from, the source is lost:

Magnesium OXIDE is not good for you in that it is terribly difficult to absorb. It is the cheapest so most often found in supplements.

Magnesium CITRATE: great for loosening the bowels.

Magnesium GYLCINATE: great for all things magnesium but will not loosen the bowels to the degree that citrate does.

Magnesium STEARATE: stay away from this, it is considered toxic and not from magnesium at all. It is also very cheap and so used in supplements of a lower quality.

(Andrea) #470

60 hrs in…and my weight is UP 1lb lol Body…why you crazy? Think my hormones are shot to hell. Did a short fast 12 days ago which was just before my time of the month. Since then, nothing. Only the 10 days late :’( Pregnancy tests negative thankfully! Who knows what’s going on?!

Keep Calm and Keto On!

(Liz ) #471

Have been able to eat, so that’s good. Staying 100% Keto with no problems, it’s hardwired by now, I guess, 14 months in. We got meat & cheese platters for after the funeral and everyone’s been living off those, perfect.

Since we’ve all been together this week I’m working on getting the other 3 family members who need it to go Keto. I’ve got two who will definitely give it a go and one who is starting to understand the science so I’m hopeful.

So this is my sister (obviously insulin resistant but is able to fast & lost weight using a CICO model but needs to learn to love high fat) and her husband, an adult onset type ONE diabetic who wants more even blood sugars & to see if his pancreas produces ANY insulin at all or is it completely malfunctioning. I’m giving them Ivor Cummins’ book Eat Rich Live Long.

My other sister, type 2 diabetic & her husband, obviously on his way with a giant belly, have been Keto 2 months & I’m so excited for the benefits they are about to experience!

My brother is a T2D, poorly managed, injecting insulin, self destructive. Fingers crossed we can override his impulses using this devastating loss of our father to heart disease to help him make a life change, maybe not for himself but for his kids?

Everyone in the family says I’m the best ad for Keto as they saw me married weighing 100 pounds more & some haven’t seen me since.

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #472

3rd day of alternate day fasting this week! Had an easier time with my eating yesterday. 8 hrs after first meal I could eat again, but this made my eating window 9 hours so :woman_shrugging: I still ate too much at that meal. I wasn’t overly full, but uncomfortably satiated :laughing: if that makes any sense.

I would like to go through the day unaware of my digestive system. Not hungry, not full…

Work in progress I guess.

(Candy Lind) #473

Sea salt (especially Himalayan) contains quite a bit less sodium than table salt, so you have to take more. Try measuring a teaspoon or two into whatever container you dip into, then you know how much you got when you’ve finished it. Use a tracker to see how much sodium you’re actually getting from a teaspoon.

Aim for an intake of 4-5 grams of salt per day. If you don’t salt your food (or finger!) enough, salt tablets will definitely help. Take with plenty of water.

(Robert C) #474

Lessons?
I am not sure yet.
I could argue that my stomach is not as empty at just over 4 days versus 13 and that the gut hasn’t changed as much either.
But, after just over 4 days of fasting I did feel very “emptied out” so I suspect the real issue is about the speed of the breaking of the fast.
3 small items over 3 hours before a meal vs. the same items in 1 hour and 10 minutes (I think) made the big difference.
Of course, after any multi-day fast, once you start eating – it is a very difficult thing to go that slow, probably why it seems to work best (i.e. nothing is easy about fasting - just tolerable…sometimes :grinning:).

(Steve) #475

Ok, just closing the loop here. Let’s see:

On the 6-day fast that I did from May 8th until my refeed on May 14th, I lost about 10 pounds.
The rebounding since, I went up about 6 pounds, then almost back to my fasting bottom, and now up another 3 pounds over the last two days (and yesterday was less than 1300 calories).
So, I’m pretty sure the high fat, high calories just before my EF didn’t reset my BMR the way that I hoped it did. :frowning:

Mind you, I’m not being as active as I was due to the repetitive stress injury I introduced to my knees (and, yes, I have no excuse for not getting my ass to the gym instead) :slight_smile:

Knees are starting to feel healed…been a few days now with no feelings of inflammation (and that’s with no anti-inflammatory meds…just taking omega 3’s and Glucosamine Sulfate to help with cartilage repair).

I need to get my activity up a lot more to raise my BMR, obviously.

Edit: It was April 25th - precisely one month ago - that I did my last high km power walk due to the inflammation in my knees. Not sure that’s enough time to start slowly back to it yet or not.

(back and doublin' down) #476

you are certainly an ambassador that I enjoy reading. Welcome back and congratulations on handling all that inevitable incoming fare.

(Candy Lind) #477

:clap: :+1: :heart_eyes: PROUD OF YOU!!! :heart_eyes: :+1: :clap:

doesn’t even BEGIN to express my sentiments. At an incredibly difficult time, you have stayed strong, not just for yourself but your entire family, and bring them all hope for a happier & healthier tomorrow.

I want to be you when I grow up! KCKO.

(Candy Lind) #478

Did you follow a recommendation for the caloric intake & duration of that feasting? If you followed a set plan, did you get it here or elsewhere? If not, maybe @Brenda can counsel as to whether you fed long enough and/or high enough. I’m interested in what you did, because I would like my metabolism to climb the ladder a bit more as well.

(Candy Lind) #479

Doesn’t Natural Calm come in a calcium-free version?

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #480

It does, I used to buy that. but I found the cal version works better for me.