Math Problem: Finding the carbs in 40% milk fat whipping cream

(Carpe salata!) #3

Our whipping cream is 35% fat. And … read the label :wink:

(Steve) #4

Yeah those numbers didn’t make sense to me, but I used them anyway. I searched for the nutritional info on whipping cream and what I found was 44.4 g of fat in 1 cup (120 g) of whipping cream, so that’s 37% fat.

I’m fairly new here so perhaps ‘bacon…’ really is a jester and is rolling on the floor in glee that someone actually tried to solve this problem.

(Carpe salata!) #5

Agreed. Except a cup is 250g unless the cream has a very low sg

(Steve) #6

Sorry, 1 cup whipped is 120 g. I didn’t notice the whipped in the nutrition info.

(Carpe salata!) #7

Oh. That sounds right :slight_smile:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #8

Listen up, buttercup. The label on my whipping cream says less than 1 carb per tablespoon. That could be 0.3 grams per tablespoon or 0.9 grams, no clue. I had to spend almost an hour tracking down fat percentages and comparable brands and doing MATH that required even more coffee and HWC to get here. If you’re not part of the solution…

(sips coffee with HWC)

(Stickin' with mammoth) #9

(sigh) I’m going with my conclusion that it’s a reverse ratio and my findings are close enough.

(sips coffee with HWC)

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

The only thing rolling at this point are my eyes.

(Todd Allen) #11

Butter is typically 80% milk fat give or take a little. I don’t think 88% or 96% fat cream is a possibility.

(What The Fast?!) #12

If it helps, to be labeled <1 carb, it has be 0.4 or less. If it registers higher, they have to list 0.5 or round up to 1. I have seen several HWC’s that say 0.4g, so my guess is regular (US) HWC is about 0.4g per cup.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #13

Yaaay! That’s incredibly helpful, thank you. And it verifies my findings. I’m goin’ with 0.38 g and having another cup. (slurp!)

Very close, but not exactly. There is no “.5” that can be listed, as far as I know (and as far as I’ve seen).

My understanding is that it’s:

ACTUAL/LISTED

.0g - 0g
.1g - 0g
.2 - 0g
.3 - 0g
.4 - 0g
.5 - “Contains less than 1 g” or “less than 1g”
.6 - “Contains less than 1 g” or “less than 1g”
.7 - “Contains less than 1 g” or “less than 1g”
.8 - “Contains less than 1 g” or “less than 1g”
.9 - “Contains less than 1 g” or “less than 1g”
1.0 - 1g
Etc.

https://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm064932.htm

Question about a mayonnaise I buy and really enjoy
(Stickin' with mammoth) #15

So tell me how many carbs are in a tablespoon of 40% milk fat whipping cream.

(Carpe salata!) #16

This page says <1 . But they also say there are 16 tablespoons in a cup. That’s a skimpy 15g tablespoon. I can get a lot more cream onto one tablespoon :sunglasses:

(Brad) #17

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list?SYNCHRONIZER_TOKEN=3c2d6a16-17bf-40a7-9df9-bcbe0605f406&SYNCHRONIZER_URI=%2Fndb%2Fsearch%2Flist&qt=&ds=&qlookup=heavy+whipping+cream&manu=

Who the heck can have a tablespoon of cream??? I’m assuming the cream is 35-36% fat.

Cream is to be measured in cups - perhaps a half cup or so in your tea if you drink less than 1L at a time.

There is about 6.6g of carbs in a cup of cream. That is about 0.415g per tablespoon.

(bulkbiker) #19

Thats the same as cream here in the UK… I have a tablespoon in my triple shot americano and that gives 0.39 g of carbs per mug.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #20

Brad, you are a god. Unfortunately, my cream isn’t listed:

Darigold, 40% Heavy Whipping Cream, UPC: 26400 23220

The label claims 6 grams of fat per 15 ml with “less than 1 g carb” per 60 calorie serving.

‘Xactly. My morning coffee is so keto-nuclear at this point that I’m ruined for all drive-thru options. This saves money but I’m rockin’ a heavy thermos on long drives that refuses to keep it lip-burnin’ hot like I like it. The sacrifices I make.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #21

Alrighty, then.

Just got off the phone with the manufacturer of my whipping cream and they said it’s 3 g of carbs per 100 g of whipping cream. But whipping cream and water don’t weigh the same, so the standard conversion won’t work from the 15 ml serving size they list on the label.

So, I measured out exactly 100 g of the stuff on my digital kitchen scale and got about 1 T. shy of half a cup. Insert math and you get 0.428 g of carbs per tablespoon. Which doesn’t stack up with their “<1 g carb” label and the FDA guidelines.

So, I’m puttin’ it down to around 0.5 g of carbs per serving and calling it a day. Hopefully, the keto revolution will compel companies to list finer nutritional details on their labels in the future.

(sips coffee)

Search a British supermarket (Morrisons, Sainsburys, Waitrose) for cream.

Find a cream with 40% fat content and use that nutritional information.

Nutritional information on UK and EU foods is expressed per 100 grams, and some are also in (of course variable) portion sizes.

So just use what ever proportion of 100 your serving size is.

Avoids maths.

NB there will be two values for carbohydrate - digestible = sugars, and indigestible = fibre.