Question about a mayonnaise I buy and really enjoy

(Debra Moore) #1

I get this rather delicious mayonnaise at Costco - it’s an avocado mayo, brand name Chosen Foods. And it really is an avocado oil mayo - I’ve been tricked into buying “olive oil” mayo, only to find that it’s an olive oil/canola oil blend. :exploding_head: Anyhow, this one only has one kind of oil in it, avocado.

So, I looked at the nutrition info, and it says zero carbs. Not <1, but 0. Yet, on the ingredients list, it lists organic honey on there. So, what gives? If there’s honey in there, there has to be carbs, right? And if there are carbs, how can they get away with stating that there’s zero?

I really don’t want to keep eating this mayo thinking that there’s no carbs if there are some.

So, is it possible that it’s zero carbs if honey is one of the ingredients? Or am I being naive?

Thanks!

Now I’m wondering.

(Kerin ) #3

Well, I’m thinking that the fiber of avocado negates the honey sugar? It’s a guess but I think carbs and counting are baffling even more when a company adds their own way of counting!

I think that if it contains less than one carb per serving then they’re technically allowed to put zero on the label.

(Ethan) #5

If <.5, they can say 0

(Jane) #6

Correct!!!

So you need to look at portion size and scale up from there. Assume 1 g carb for the portion size listed and you will err on the side of caution.

(Debra Moore) #7

Good to know that! Thanks for the clarification!

(Michelle) #8

The fiber and carbs of an avocado aren’t present when the oil is extracted.

This is close, but not quite there.

The rules are if it’s UNDER .5, it can be listed as “0.”

Between .5 and .9 can say “less than 1g” of carb (but not “0.”)

1.0+ get rounded to nearest whole number increment.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #10

I’ve been wondering about this, where did you get your info? Thanks for the chart!

See my post #14 here: Math Problem: Finding the carbs in 40% milk fat whipping cream

Unfortunately, the FDA link I cited appears broken, and I haven’t been able to find its replacement…