Math Problem: Finding the carbs in 40% milk fat whipping cream

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

Alright, mathy types, wake up!

If a 88% milk fat whipping cream has 6.64 grams of carbs per cup, then how much would a 96% milk fat whipping cream have? Those are the numbers I found after an hour online. (I have no life.)

I came up with 0.38 grams per tablespoon. Did I win?

(Steve) #2

Not sure what youā€™re asking, the title of the post says 40% milk fat whipping cream, but then you ask about 96% milk fat whipping cream. Well I donā€™t really know anything about whipping cream, but the math isnā€™t a problem. If the relationship between carb content and milk fat content in whipping cream is a linear relationship, then this can be solved using simple proportions. So, given your figures, a cup of whipping cream with 96% milk fat would have 7.24 g of carbs. There are 16 tbsp in a cup so there would be 0.45 g of carbs in 1 tbsp of 96% milk fat whipping cream.

Now if the relationship between milk fat and carbs in whipping cream is not linear, then one would have to have a math function that would express the relationship mathematically. Iā€™m an engineer, not a nutritionist or dietitian (or whatever profession understands these kinds of things about food) so I have absolutely no idea if my assumption about linearity is true or not and so have no idea if my calculations above are correct or not.

(Carpe salata!) #3

Our whipping cream is 35% fat. And ā€¦ read the label :wink:

(Steve) #4

Yeah those numbers didnā€™t make sense to me, but I used them anyway. I searched for the nutritional info on whipping cream and what I found was 44.4 g of fat in 1 cup (120 g) of whipping cream, so thatā€™s 37% fat.

Iā€™m fairly new here so perhaps ā€˜baconā€¦ā€™ really is a jester and is rolling on the floor in glee that someone actually tried to solve this problem.

(Carpe salata!) #5

Agreed. Except a cup is 250g unless the cream has a very low sg

(Steve) #6

Sorry, 1 cup whipped is 120 g. I didnā€™t notice the whipped in the nutrition info.

(Carpe salata!) #7

Oh. That sounds right :slight_smile:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #8

Listen up, buttercup. The label on my whipping cream says less than 1 carb per tablespoon. That could be 0.3 grams per tablespoon or 0.9 grams, no clue. I had to spend almost an hour tracking down fat percentages and comparable brands and doing MATH that required even more coffee and HWC to get here. If youā€™re not part of the solutionā€¦

(sips coffee with HWC)

(Stickin' with mammoth) #9

(sigh) Iā€™m going with my conclusion that itā€™s a reverse ratio and my findings are close enough.

(sips coffee with HWC)

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

The only thing rolling at this point are my eyes.

(Todd Allen) #11

Butter is typically 80% milk fat give or take a little. I donā€™t think 88% or 96% fat cream is a possibility.

(What The Fast?!) #12

If it helps, to be labeled <1 carb, it has be 0.4 or less. If it registers higher, they have to list 0.5 or round up to 1. I have seen several HWCā€™s that say 0.4g, so my guess is regular (US) HWC is about 0.4g per cup.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #13

Yaaay! Thatā€™s incredibly helpful, thank you. And it verifies my findings. Iā€™m goinā€™ with 0.38 g and having another cup. (slurp!)

Very close, but not exactly. There is no ā€œ.5ā€ that can be listed, as far as I know (and as far as Iā€™ve seen).

My understanding is that itā€™s:

ACTUAL/LISTED

.0g - 0g
.1g - 0g
.2 - 0g
.3 - 0g
.4 - 0g
.5 - ā€œContains less than 1 gā€ or ā€œless than 1gā€
.6 - ā€œContains less than 1 gā€ or ā€œless than 1gā€
.7 - ā€œContains less than 1 gā€ or ā€œless than 1gā€
.8 - ā€œContains less than 1 gā€ or ā€œless than 1gā€
.9 - ā€œContains less than 1 gā€ or ā€œless than 1gā€
1.0 - 1g
Etc.

https://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm064932.htm

Question about a mayonnaise I buy and really enjoy
(Stickin' with mammoth) #15

So tell me how many carbs are in a tablespoon of 40% milk fat whipping cream.

(Carpe salata!) #16

This page says <1 . But they also say there are 16 tablespoons in a cup. Thatā€™s a skimpy 15g tablespoon. I can get a lot more cream onto one tablespoon :sunglasses:

(Brad) #17

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list?SYNCHRONIZER_TOKEN=3c2d6a16-17bf-40a7-9df9-bcbe0605f406&SYNCHRONIZER_URI=%2Fndb%2Fsearch%2Flist&qt=&ds=&qlookup=heavy+whipping+cream&manu=

Who the heck can have a tablespoon of cream??? Iā€™m assuming the cream is 35-36% fat.

Cream is to be measured in cups - perhaps a half cup or so in your tea if you drink less than 1L at a time.

There is about 6.6g of carbs in a cup of cream. That is about 0.415g per tablespoon.

(bulkbiker) #19

Thats the same as cream here in the UKā€¦ I have a tablespoon in my triple shot americano and that gives 0.39 g of carbs per mug.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #20

Brad, you are a god. Unfortunately, my cream isnā€™t listed:

Darigold, 40% Heavy Whipping Cream, UPC: 26400 23220

The label claims 6 grams of fat per 15 ml with ā€œless than 1 g carbā€ per 60 calorie serving.

ā€˜Xactly. My morning coffee is so keto-nuclear at this point that Iā€™m ruined for all drive-thru options. This saves money but Iā€™m rockinā€™ a heavy thermos on long drives that refuses to keep it lip-burninā€™ hot like I like it. The sacrifices I make.