MARCH 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Liz ) #221

85 hours in and 10 pounds down (!) which is absurd, not my usual experience and obviously not all fat.

This is my second extended fast since I went mostly dairy-free about 10 days ago but this one is apparently different. I wonder if the dairy was causing inflammation and water retention? And finally at this point, 10 days later, my system calmed down enough to shed that water?

I’ll break later today at 92 or 93 hours. I expect to regain about 4 pounds over the next few days as I refeed, like usual.

(Herb Martin) #222

Day 14 water fast and I am pretty sure this is the last day.

I am not feeling very well and haven’t felt great since day 11.

Originally I really wanted 14 days, with an eye towards a LONG fast, perhaps as long as 30-42 days.

So it’s going to be “12-day fast, 5 days return to carnivore, and now 14 days” (unless something radical changes.)

(For those that don’t know, I did an extended fast at the end of February, didn’t feel good at day 10, continued to 12, then dropped back to carnivore for the next 5 days before starting this 14 day fast.)

I am NOT hungry, but I am tired and my stomach is annoyed with me.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #223

definitely sounds like it’s time to end this one. Good for you for making it to 14!!! It’s really important to listen to your body though, and yours is telling you that it wants a break from this fast.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #224

Checking in at 60 hours. I didn’t feel well much of yesterday afternoon, I was really tired and a little light headed. Not sure how much is due to fasting or just the bonkers week at work I’m having. I have two big events I’m putting on tomorrow and it’s been a lot of work getting ready for both of them. Had some extra salt and a Zorn KetoAid and I felt a bit better by the time I went to bed. Unfortunately I hardly slept. I’ll break this fast today if I don’t feel okay.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #225

My favorite fasting quote, from my very good friend:

“What do I need to eat for? I’m carrying a whole pantry around with me!”

(Herb Martin) #226

Watch your electrolytes and along with that your blood pressure (especially if you take meds.)

Several of the smart docs believe that keto flu is really low sodium, potassium, magnesium etc.

Carbs hold salt and water so a ketogenic diet (including fasting) will dump water and along with it electrolytes.

At day 14 of the fast I am making FAR, FAR fewer trips to the bathroom. My wife is just in the first good week of ketosis and the same is occuring. We are both old and taking diuretics so this is a pleasant surprise to us both.

If you lose weight and fluids your blood pressure may (will?) do down, and you may be low on essential minerals.

BOTH can cause you to be extremely light-headed, weakness, even syncope (fainting),

(Mary) #227

I have two fast days every week (black coffee/green tea/water) and I enjoy them. On Fridays I fast in work and I am at my most alert; on Sundays I enjoy a lazy day at home. In between I feast on Saturdays! It gives a lovely rhythm to the week…

I’m closing in on the end of a 42-hour fast. After having bad luck trying ADF last week, I’m now trying a two-days eating, one day fast pattern. This seems to be going much better for me. I fasted on Saturday and then again yesterday. Yesterday, I had some hunger and stomach grumbling around dinner time, but I had a cup of tea with a little HWC and it calmed down. Definitely no serious cravings to EAT.

We’re having a spring heat wave here and I love drinking lemonade in warm weather. However, I’m trying to stay away from even fake sweeteners during fasts. In Sicily, they add both sugar and salt to lemonade and I love this, especially when it’s truly hot. Yesterday, I tried a variation with some lemon juice (about 2 tablespoons in a 16 oz glass), salt, and sparkling water and it was great! Good way to sneak in a bit of salt and have something different to drink other than plain water.

Well, I thought I was Fasting today. (I also thought I was off work?) But after having to go in and put something together for a big meeting Friday that I won’t be attending, and before picking up my Pup from her surgery, I ended up with quite a terrible headache. Something I haven’t had for quite some time now too. … But it just seemed to get worse and worse, along the hour plus drive home, then two hours after being home. So I decided to try eating something, not wanting to take anything for it. … It seems to have diminished some, but still somewhat there. But better. … Oh well. :neutral_face:

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #231

Broke my fast at 69 hours, I just wasn’t feeling it to keep going. With my crazy day tomorrow, it seemed unwise to try to push through. Maybe I’m just on a 3 fast:4 feast cycle :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Hope you all are well!!

Hope the surgery went well and your pup is resting comfortably! :dog2::purple_heart:

Thank you. Yes, I’m told the surgery went fine, but the next few months will be a pain though. She already went through a double ACL surgery 4 years ago. This time it was the other leg, so she’s laid up presently. … I’m still battling a headache, though I’ve eaten, taken some Advil, and even slept an hour.

But at least she’s back home now. :slight_smile: … Thanks again.

(Windmill Tilter) #233

I’m 48hrs into my weekly fast and I found myself trolling the “What Did You Keto Today” thread lol. I don’t know why I do that. Fasting is a funny thing. Luckily this thread wasn’t too far under it, so I figured I’d stop looking at food pics and pop in to say hello instead… :yum:

I also just wanted to say thanks to @Hardrock_keto_chick for the ACV in sparkling water idea. I’ve got a SodaStream that I haven’t been using much recently, and low an behold you cue me into my new favorite fasting drink. Thanks! :+1:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #234

Healing :pray: for both of you.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #235

Poor baby, that’s quite the cast!!!

(Herb Martin) #236

My wife and I rehabbed our grand kids Golden Retriever “Hunny” after ACL sugery (3 months of daily work.)

So let me know if I can help.

From what I was told, the rehab is even more important than the surgery. ($3500).

It took about an our every day and we did every single bit of it.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #237

Quick question for all you fasters: Do you think there is any chance of a drop in BMR if I fast for 3 days, eat for 1, and then start fasting again?

I don’t want to overthink this, because it’s not like I’m in some huge hurry to lose weight … but the truth is that I’m an excellent overthinker. Years of experience! One of the best overthinkers I know!

Yeah, this particular surgeon is not only well known for his surgical procedures, but is also old-school where he still uses the full cast method, over the soft-cast. But it does provide them the best results from everything I’ve looked into. But it is indeed a pain for the Pup. Usually take up to a week before they start learning how to deal with it better. … She already dealt with this before, which was done on the other leg 4 years ago. So Hard-Cast for 4 weeks, then a soft cast for 2 or so… Then of course the rehab for another couple months. I’m figuring sometime in August or so. :slight_smile:

Appreciate it. I’ve taken off the rest of the week, to work with her through the weekend. I’m pretty sure she will be dealing a little better by next week, so my Wife can manage her during the daytime. :slight_smile: Last time she was doing quite well after the first week in, and just got better and better with time. Hoping it doesn’t get too hot, too early since she’s dealing with this, but nice Spring Weather should help.

I can’t speak on the BMR question, not knowing the answer. But you will hear a lot folks mention, that it is highly recommended to put at least two feasting days between fast, with two meals on each of those days. This is also what I do myself, no matter how long I Fast. … I would have to go back and search for the information, but there are multiple threads on here that discuss this many times.

(Windmill Tilter) #240

Like @Digital_Dave said, the general recommendation is a minimum of two days between fasts with 2 meals per day.

It’s equally important however that these feasts be well above your TDEE. This appears to raise RMR if they are strung together back to back on a serial basis. Conversely, if you string together back to back fasts on a serial basis and you calorie restrict, this can lower RMR. Aim high for the kcals!

(Herb Martin) #241

So as mentioned above I did stop my fast at 14-days.

203 lbs, down 29.5, 79.5 since a year ago Thanksgiving.

AND THEN…

My wife drove me to boxing practice. (So I wouldn’t have to drive home with low blood pressure or light-headed.)

I am old, out of shape. It was hard.

First time for Combatives & self-defense in 4 years, first time for boxing which is more strenuous in 8+ years.

Oh, and I HAD FUN.

A Journey of a Thousand Miles begins with a single step…