MARCH 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #181

@ Karin_Geertsma I intend to fast unitl Friday at least. I started after dinner last night (Sunday), so I’m approaching 24 hours. Glad to have more company!! :woman_cartwheeling::heart_eyes_cat:

(Brittany Allen) #182

Randomly decided to do my first fast today. I was shooting for 24hrs but, only made it 22hrs haha I couldn’t resist the almonds I just bought. Snacking really gets the best of me sometimes :joy:

Anybody have good keto/fasting podcasts or videos they’d like to share? I’d love the entertainment while I cook my first meal of the day.

(Herb Martin) #183

If you wish to be pure/certain drink nothing but water with perhaps electrolytes you added yourself (salt and salt substitute.)

I am rethinking my permissiveness for AUTOPHAGY, in longer fasts.

I am dropping my megavitamins (haven’t felt great for 2 days in my stomach in any case) and non-water beverages based on a podcast featuring Dr. Fung and Amy Myers.

They admit they don’t know but suggest that MTor and Insuline are very sensitive to ANY nutrients and the only safe method is nothing nutritive.

Tought day today. Not feeling well.

It is NOT hunger but if I didn’t know better I would be convincing myself “I need to eat.”

But motivation is strong:

Had to talk myself OUT of going to boxing practice this evening for the first time in years: too out of shape to benefit (might even be dangerous due to blood pressure drop and I am 66) and better to work on fixing up the junk room to convert it to an exercise room with resistance machine and stationary bike.)

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #184

Cool, I’ll totally try to tag along.
Reached 34h feel fine besides a slight headache.
Busting once again through the 100h mark with a water and black coffe only fast would be awesome…

(RossanaF) #185

Also tagging along. Started Sunday night so sitting at 26 hrs. I’m a bit hungry but no cravings but a voice in my head keeps screaming “eat something”! It’s very powerful too! Tested tonight at 7pm and ketones went from 0.4 this morning to 1.4 and BG from 103 to 79. I’m happy! Love to have fasting buddies, makes it easier! Good night, will report tomorrow.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #186

41h… had one or two big hungerpangs an hour ago. Now I feel okay. fatigued, but my fasting BG was still rather high this morning at 117

drinking herbal tea. fizzy water with ACV. I can power through that. longing for my fasting high…

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #187

I’ve been thinking a lot about this. I wonder if anyone here has thoughts on black coffee? I read this thread on Reddit in which they discuss how black coffee can assist autophagy in short fasts.

36 hours in and feeling great. Yesterday was easier than usual for my first 24 hours, I think it’s true what they say about that “fasting muscle” :muscle:

I’m still working up to my first 100 hours. Perhaps this is my week! :sunglasses:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #188

I have done it once or twice so far, but I think only once on a “pure fast”
in winter its sooo much harder to do for me personally …

(Allie) #189

And me. Too cold.

New office has air con so I’m not sure how easy it’ll be to fast in the summer now either…

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #190

I am basically just hugging my teacup letting the warmth wash through me from top to bottom…

But that always makes me look forward to working out, because that is just amazing when you don’t run too hot…

(Allie) #191

Agreed. But I’m looking forward to warmer weather for yoga / meditation, while preferring this cooler weather for weights and higher intensity work.

(Herb Martin) #192

There is pretty good agreement that black coffee is no big deal for a fast, and even many carnivores drink some coffee.

I am not a big coffee drinker (don’t need caffeine much of any kind) so it’s not a deal for me to give it up.

However, coffee was in this pod cast by Dr. Fung and Dr. Berg (I mistakenly said Myers above).

They just don’t know for autophagy. So if you goal is autophagy you choice is water or water to be certain.

13th day today, 203.5, 29 lbs down in this fast, 79 lbs down overall.

Obviously I am hanging in at least through tomorrow for 14 days and 30lbs/80lbs, and I’d like to do another week to clear 200 since that is such a big psychological milestone…

LOW blood pressure continues to be a nuisance because I am taking meds for someone quite a bit heavier, but I can’t just stop them all because it goes up to high then.

My doc is always ok with me adjusting and I take 4 meds that can affect pressure (they aren’t all BP meds per se) so I have plenty of tools to use – leave out this one, double that one etc.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #193

Okay, that is what I needed to hear. I’m not ready to wean myself off coffee, I’ll have to wait for a week off of work for that (I just can’t imagine trying to manage a caffeine-withdrawal headache at work) and then try some real water-only fasts, since autophagy is a big motivator for me. At least for now since I’m only drinking one cup a day I figure that won’t be disrupting my autophagy for more than a few hours a day, I hope.

Also, AMAZING WORK getting to day 13!!! :boom::muscle::trophy: You continue to be an inspiration!

(Allie) #194

This used to be my belief too, but on my most recent detox I gradually weaned myself off with absolutely no withdrawal at all. I dropped down to just one cup each morning, then gradually reduced the amount by mixing decaf coffee in with the regular coffee - from half to quarter to almost no caffeine at all to completely caffeine free and pain free.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #195

Intriguing! How long did you take reducing the caffeine? Days? Weeks? Months?

(RossanaF) #196

You’re an inspiration!

(Allie) #197

Only a couple of weeks really, at least until I was down to minimal caffeine then the amount was so low that there was nothing left to detox.

(Ethan) #198

Into day 2 of 7 of my fast. Will be tough this week. Driving 3.5 hours each way for an overnight stay to attend a funeral on days 5/6

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #199

50 h. I am a walking dead… But I had two crappy days at work and slept badly.

I can’t wait to fall into bed tonight.
Hopefully tomorrow will be better

(Allie) #200

Wishing you a better day tomorrow @Hardrock_keto_chick I can empathise with crappy work days at the moment :slightly_frowning_face: x