MARCH 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Liz ) #386

Decided to break at 41 hours. This was the first EF I did with the specific goal of elevating mood at a down moment and it was a great success! Glad to have this in my toolbox for future depressive swings.

This :point_up: … for anyone not used to doing OMAD (One Meal A Day), or Fasting in general, working your way towards it slowly, is always the best method, and not just forcing yourself. When it comes to Fasting, nothing should ever feel forced, which will always makes things harder.

For me, I was very fortunate that I was doing this way before ever learning of this WOE/WOL. Years. I was already doing OMAD mostly, but of course, it wasn’t as useful since I wasn’t eating a LCHF diet. But this did help me when I first started, since I was already used to it, but it simply got even easier.

(Herb Martin) #388

You are actually doing what for most people is the most difficult part: Day 2

Dr. Fung goes so far as so say, “Fast 1 day or 3” but don’t bother with 2 days since it has almost all the difficulty of a 3 day fast.

After the hard part is over, it is common to just settle into an extended fast without much more difficulty.

Hunger tends to dissipate, and convert mostly to some odd type of boredom rather than and actual feeling of need.

As to eating too many carbs, it varies for everyone and beginners are notoriously bad at finding the hidden carbs in just about every stupid food you can imagine, and some you would never imagine.

My rule is to measure and try to eat ZERO until you have successful ketosis AND are losing weight, then carefully consider a very small loosening of your own rules as you continue to measure.

Other ways MIGHT work; this is pretty much guaranteed.

Ketosticks work well enough, but now you have the meter that is better (I use both even with long experience.)

I don’t want to stick my finger 3-4 times per day and the strips for the meter add up in cost.

Since I like the regular feedback the sticks give me an easy and cheap way to monitor.

Make a game out of it, simply because doing that helps make success easier to obtain.

You’re doing great.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #389

I just put all of my proteins in the freezer and my next fast starts now :). I am hoping for a long-ish one. 5 days would be great, but we’ll see. Happy Sunday everyone! Hope you’re all having a lovely weekend! :sunglasses::purple_heart:

(RossanaF) #390

Thank you! I slipped yesterday, we had some guests over and they brought food that was carby. Too shy to say no…snif…Will fast again tonight and will try hard to make to Wednesday this time!

(Herb Martin) #391

The past is the past; all we can control is the present and prepare for the future.

Many people can a small slip and don’t continue from there – we can always keep going if we choose.

Do what is best for you going forward…

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #392

New month, new thread:

Because I am slightly messed up and posting things in all the wrong threads…

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #393

I hope your day gets better. We all have our days.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #394

Thanks :sweat_smile::rofl::rofl: I am fine aactually, just a little foggy minded. Some is lack of sleep, crushing on someone a bit :flushed:, and then there is the fact that it’s monday… But considering that I am rather content.

Thanks for caring, though :hugs:

(Herb Martin) #395

See you folks on the April thread, but will still monitor here…

My wife and I started together from last night so this is Day 1.

(Grace Gregory) #396

Is it safe to do 2 fasts back to back?

I’ve just done a 40 hour fast, broken the fast and I have the opportunity to do another 40 hour one starting now.

I don’t get the opportunity very often to do a long one so is it safe to do?

(Grace Gregory) #397

Good luck!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #398

You are supposed to refeed 1 day for every 2 days of fasting. But that is up to you. Bail out if you don’t feel well.

(Grace Gregory) #399

I usually feel amazing on a fast and have done 24 hours, a meal, then 24 hours again before.

(Karim Wassef) #400

I fasted March with a 3 fast weeks to 1 feed week per month.

Just starting April with 4 fast days to 3 feed days per week.

Fasting is very individual. Keep your salts up and KCFO (fast on) :smiley:

(Herb Martin) #401

If you feel good and watch you hydration/electrolytes you should be fine

(I’m no doc so don’t believe a word I say but I would do it.)

I did 12-days, 5-days carnivore, 14 days last month.

That might also suggest the question of, “What did you eat?” If you were taking care of yourself then it’s far more likely you will be fine than someone who was bingeing on adfaad, or asdfadsf, :slight_smile:

(William Shafer III) #402

Hi all. Just got back in the fasting wagon this March after a 6 month break. Just 20 short days and broke through my wall losing 8 pounds in 20 days!

April thread:

Locking this thread.

:smile: … Didn’t realize you had locked it Gaff. Thanks. Was going to after posting. :+1:

closed #404

Personally, I always Feast for 2 days between Fast, (2 meals each day) regardless of the length. But usually don’t like to Fast too quickly after a longer one. (So If I do a 3 to 5 day Fast, I will usually just eat the following week, doing OMAD with the occasional second meal) Feasting is as important as Fasting.

This is actually considered OMAD (One Meal A Day) which a lot of folks do, myself included. But as I mentioned above, I throw in a second meal TMAD (Two Meals A Day) here and there which essentially keeps things mixed up, i.e., keeps the body guessing. From all I’ve read, this is very important, since the body can indeed get used to any type of scheduled feeding. (But that’s just how I do my Fasting. There are a lot of ways folks do theirs as well) Everyone just needs to find what works best for them.