March 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Liz ) #41

I’m going to break my fast at lunch today, about 40 hrs. I was restless on this one. I don’t think I ate enough Wednesday going into it. And I’m also distracted by weather & other extenuating circumstances whereas usually I would focus on a project & lose track of not eating, this time I’m having trouble focusing on work & I’m thinking about the fasting a lot. Happy with 40 hours, tho!

(William Shafer III) #42

Thanks everyone, last months gave a little extra nudge. I’ve been able to switch to a 22:2 IF for almost two weeks and am now adapted to it. I’ve tweaked my EF and once I stop eating today at 12 pm will not eat again till 10 am on Tuesday. Good feeling to be a part of something.

Stopped eating last night at 8pm and so far its 2pm today. I’m going to experiment with IF for the next little while, and then go into an EF week after next.
What eating window would you recommend?
Incidentally, I found my last EF where I had small amounts HWC, butter and coconut oil I did not feel as good as I do now doing this IF with only water and black coffee (so far).

Just a follow-up here… weighed myself this morning after my 20 hour intermittent fast yesterday and I was 155lbs- starting weight. Initially when I started Keto I saw a drop to 147lbs but I have not seen that for weeks and have not seen lower. It’s been six weeks!
This is a really discouraging morning for me. I hope I haven’t ticked myself into thinking this is working when it really isn’t, and I’m just eating very rich food.
The whole calories in calories out debate is confusing me. I guess I’ll monitor calories more at this point. I’m definitely eating enough fat but I could probably limit sweeteners- I really only have a home made hot cocoa with hwc and stevia every once in a while, and yesterday I had sugar free jello.
I’m hydrated, I lost a modest 1 inch on my waist since starting, but depending on how bloated I am that’s not seen…
Just frustrated by the lack of progress and not sure why I continue to fluctuate so much.

(Liz ) #45

So are you saying you’ve only been Keto 6 weeks? Because it took me 6 weeks to even become fat adapted. Then I lost maybe 2-5 pounds per MONTH, but over a year that added up to 45 pounds lost.

Keto can be slow going but it’s a months long adventure & you get better at tweaking your foods as you go. Patience is hard if you think you might be doing something wrong, I know. Eliminating foods/sweeteners that might be slowing you is good, never snacking is key.

Keto is about lowering your insulin so your body can access your fat stores, that takes time. Depending how deranged your metabolism is/was there’s other healing going on as well. My advice is to Keep Calm & Keto On.

Thanks @LizinLowell
Super helpful because I actually think I’ve been missing the aspect of not snacking! I hadn’t really thought of that.
I’ll KCKO!

(Moriah ) #47

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum, love 2 keto dudes podcast. followed Carl over from obesity code podcast.
I started with IF in November, then found Jason Fung and started 36 hour fast every other day in December. I have started keto about 2 weeks ago. (I have been on a plateau since beginning of January). I cannot fast with keto. I get full really quick but then hungry again soon. On busy work days I have been eating olives a couple times until about 4 PM (after cream in my coffee in the AM). Then I have to eat. I am coming up very short on protein and calories on a daily basis with the keto. I get full very quickly. I feel like my regimented fasting that I was “religious” about is down the drain. I’m eating several times a day, sometimes I get hungry 4 plus times a day because I get full right away with the keto. Can anyone give me suggestions? is this normal with keto?

(Sandra ) #48

I have done a few extended fasts in the past (been almost 100 lbs heavier as well), but due to heart problems, and a broken ankle last summer, I can’t exercise much. This winter I’ve done IF’ing a couple times a week, and my big stomach has been decreasing. Can’t say I’ve lost any actual weight, but neither have I gained, which is new. Nor do I do keto like a purist, but I have been at the lower end of low carb for years. On my IF’ing (16/8 usually), I drink black tea and water. When not, eggs fried in ghee, bacon fat, or coconut oil break my fast. Now that I don’t suffer intense hunger pangs anymore, I’ve pretty well settled at 2 meals a day, breakfast and a very early dinner. No snacking after 5:00 pm. I wonder where I’ll end up, but even so, I’m at my lightest weight (no, too embarassed to share currently) in 50+ years. EF’s are still in my future, but IF’ing here and now.

(Dawn) #49

Alright, all fasting and fasting attempts have been called off for the next few days until I am back into Ketosis. I decided to go back to the BASICS and make sure that I have my keto fundamentals in check before trying to fast again. The plan is to get back into ketosis, get back to feeling satisfied so that my hunger is back in control. Once that happens, then I can look at fasting again. I won’t even be IFing for the next few days. My fasting attempts keep failing and I can’t keep on in this pattern. My current pattern is maintaining my weight (which is good) but I still have 40-50 pounds to lose. So no more games. I’m going to get super focused on my veto and then start again. I’ll check back when it’s time to start again.

(Moriah ) #50

Dawn, do you mind sharing what your keto grams of carbs, protein, fat and calories are? I’m on the app, “keto” and this is what it says I should be eating: 1596 Calories, 134 g fat, 20 g carbs, 76 g protein. I’m thinking this is far too much. I have to loose around the same as you.

(Mark Rhodes) #51

I didn’t use my HSA initially. I DID do what I did with my Dexascan. Purchased outright and then reimbursed myself. Doing it this way you might have to defend your decision to the IRS. I haven’t had to do so as of yet in 18 months.

Hi everyone,
I am currently 40 hours into my longest fast to date! I am feeling super proud of myself :blush:.
The longest I was able to go in the past was 25 hours. For this one, I already passed my goal, which was 36 hours… Now I’m just going to see how long my body can hang in there with it. I have heard Richard & Carl say that the first day or two is the hardest and then it becomes easier, so I’m hoping to get to 48 hours and beyond. One of the many things that inspired me was hearing Carl talk about how good he feels when fasting (he said it was almost addictive, lol). I really wanted to experience that, so I was determined to push through. When I first transitioned to a ketogenic diet, I felt this sense of euphoria for a while. That eventually faded and since then I feel good on a daily basis (I’m extremely grateful for that). But I’m wondering if fasting may give me a touch of that euphoric feeling again.

Good luck to everyone on your March fasts!

Looks like we are on the same time frame. My goal was also 36 hours, but didn’t feel hungry and my blood glucose was good, so i thought, what the heck :blush:. Everyone on this thread has inspired me - given me the courage to go past my former limit of 24 hours. I’m now at 38, and will see how it goes after I go exercise.

So happy to have a place to check in and see how others are doing!

(Allie) #54

I’m trying alternate day fasting at the moment to see how I get on. Broke a 42 hour fast this morning so am feasting today, then will fast again tomorrow, eat Thurs, fast Fri. I didn’t intend the last fast to be more that about 36 hours but just wasn’t hungry.

(Stephanie Sablich) #55

How is everyone doing today?

I’m 42 hours into what will end up being a 60 hour+ fast (Sunday 10:30 pm until Wednesday 10:30 am, though I have a dental appointment at 9:15 so that might get pushed back a bit). I am doing this every week in March, and fasted every Tuesday in February. I’m fine. Getting my salt, staying hydrated, feeling focused during these two BANANAS class days.

But crap man, all of these people around me eating… I just miss it. I’m at the point where I’m desperately looking up recipes, wishing that I didn’t fast and eat just one meal a day. And heading into my last, most difficult class… oof.

I can do it… right?

Yes, you can do it! Stress tends to push buttons, of course, and I sympathize with the whole “feed the stress and it will go away” pitfall. In fact, I have had one of the most stressful seasons of my life in the past ten months and it doesn’t show signs of being more happy and peaceful anytime soon. I was eating strict keto, but WAY more than my body required CICO or not, whatever! I gained 10 lbs back of the 20 I had lost…

Anyway, I’m on day four of an extended fast, so yes, YOU CAN DO IT! :smiley:

Take care

(Stephanie Sablich) #57

Wow! I’m impressed :slight_smile: Thanks for those encouraging words. How long are you fasting?

(Valerie Williams) #58

Hey Dawn, I know what at least some of your problem is: Splenda. Your brain reads Aspartame as sugar and will put you on the same roller coaster ride as real sugar. It’s best if you can kick the sweet cravings all together. If not try Stevia, Monk Fruit or Erythritol. I’ve found the best Stevia with least aftertaste is the liquid variety. Good luck!

Congratulations on your longest fast @ketojulie!!! Who knows what you are capable of doing in the future! And I agree, it can be addicting, truly.

I absolutely experience that fasting euphoria you mentioned. In fact, I’m riding along on that quite nicely just now…92+ hours into an extended fast…how long, hoping for 7 to 10 or even 12 days if my body feels this good throughout. I’ve got the bone broth simmering, adding small amounts of fat in order to keep my metabolism from tanking. That means I may not burn as much of my own body fat, but this really helps me to stay warm and keep going.

I’m hoping to get through 7 or as many as 12 days!