March 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Allie) #21

@rustyk61 that sounds great! :grinning:

(Allie) #22

Here in the UK we are in the middle of the worst winter conditions this country has suffered for a long long time. The below freezing temperatures killed my car battery which was thankfully sorted by a friend who is a mechanic, but it was still stressful until it was fixed as I was stranded at work. Home now though but broke my fast earlier than planned as Iā€™m cold and tired and stressed and decided to go easy on myself.

(Mark Rhodes) #23

Allie, thatā€™s exactly what we are supposed to do, adapt to our situations. Great Job!

(Liz ) #24

That was me on Monday! Ugh what a stupid day. I went home and broke my fast early and it was exactly the right thing to do. I love that itā€™s such a flexible lifestyle. I agree with @marklifestyle

Iā€™m near Boston MA in the US but my social media is FILLED with UK snow pics, itā€™s wild! Iā€™m glad your battery got sorted. Hope things go more smoothly now.

(Ginny) #25

I started IF yesterday. I fasted from 8pm-2pm yesterday and 8pm-1pm today. (varied just because of my work schedule) I have been doing BPC in the morning and exogenous ketones. I plan on continuing this during the weekdays this month. Has anyone else used exogenous ketones while fasting and if so, how did this affect your Keto? (BTW Iā€™m a January newbie.)

(Liz ) #26

Welcome! I donā€™t use exogenous ketones because I want to make my own and I donā€™t know how that works if you add from outside. I do sometimes use MCT oil when I fast, in my morning coffee, because I believe that gets transformed pretty quickly to ketones and it gives me a boost.

(Allie) #27

No need for exogenous ketones, just let your body do what comes naturally.

(What The Fast?!) #28

I get this all the time and EVERY time, I realize itā€™s because I havenā€™t had enough salt.

Update on my fasting - Iā€™m back in the 147ā€™sā€¦seems like itā€™s two steps forwardā€¦and two steps back. Iā€™m fasting right now until we leave for a trip Friday morning. I will likely break the fast with breakfast or lunch, then out to a nice dinner with friends (I picked the restaurant so I know the menu is all good). We have a wedding on Saturday, so that should be fun plus lots of dancing (AKA exercise). :slight_smile:

Just wanted to chime in that I do tabatas during my fasts (16:8 every day and one 24 per week - Iā€™m in heavy training/running mode, so not quite ready to go longer than 24) and I think they really help. I do them first thing in the morning during my first run, and I can almost feel my ketones rising :blush:. Makes the fast much easier, in my experience.

Thank you for letting me know! It makes sense that it would kickstart ketosis (or bump us to a higher level). Iā€™m excited to incorporate this. Itā€™s part of my March strategy and nice to know that itā€™s already working for someone!

Andrea, what happened with IDM? (Were you on their waiting list? I canā€™t rememberā€¦)

(What The Fast?!) #32

I was going to sign up, but they only take payments through PayPal, so I canā€™t use my FSA card (Flexible Spending Account). I called my insurance/FSA company and they wonā€™t cover it. :frowning:

You canā€™t link the FSA card to Paypal? (that stinksā€¦) I often wonder what Megan would advise you.
The question seems to be: is there anything besides high insulin that blocks access to our fat stores?

Iā€™d love to hear how it works for you. Please keep me posted. :blush:

(What The Fast?!) #35

YESSSS - I know right??? I revived an old thread today with a podcast where Mark Sisson talks about reducing calories on keto because you can get additional energy from stored fat. I used to count calories and macros like crazy a few months into keto and it never worked, but maybe now, with extended fasting, it will. Iā€™m going to experiment with fasting MINUS the feasting part and see what happens.

Yeah - FSA said I need a letter of medical necessity. So dumb.

PS Can you tell me more about your tabatas? How long do you do them and what exercises?

I do 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest, repeated for 8 rounds, which I believe is standard Tabata protocol (except that it probably should be 4 of those in a row, and Iā€™m only doing one right now - aiming to bump that up over the next few weeks).

The main exercise I use is kettebell swings (either a 25 lb bell with an emphasis on speed, or a 40lb bell) but I intersperse pushups and goblet squats. So, for instance, todayā€™s session was 6x kb swings with the heavy bell, one set of pushups* and then one more of swings. During the rests Iā€™m usually pacing or doing hip circles but I have to pick up the bell by the last few seconds of the rest so that Iā€™m ready to go right into the next work set.

Maybe more detail than you needed :slight_smile:

You saw Carikateā€™s post? I love the idea of a HIIT session kicking me deeper into ketosis on fasting days.

(*I can do full pushups with good form, but my focus during the tabatas is speed so I generally start on my toes and transition to knees (without a pause) sometime during the set just to fit in as many as I can in 20 seconds)

(What The Fast?!) #37

Nope, not at all. I LOVE detail. :slight_smile: We do tabatas sometimes in my workout classes. Hereā€™s another fab at-home workout I do when I canā€™t get to the gym or on my bike:

pick 4-5 exercises, do 15 reps of each. then do 14 reps of each, then 13, all the way to 1.
Ex: Yesterday I chose squats, pushups, curtsy lunges, tricep dips, and abs. Took me about 40-45 minutes and when you get to the round with 10 reps, youā€™re really working. By the end, itā€™s a cool down. Itā€™s fab and great in a pinch with no equipment!

On to some fasting talkā€¦44.5 hours in and Iā€™m SO FREAKING HUNGRY. Going to have some hot water with salt and potassium, that usually helps. Iā€™m not feeling any mental clarity. Iā€™m actually super distractedā€¦hence me being on the forums instead of working!

ok, thank you! will do

(Dawn Comber) #39

Hey Everyone! Thanks for all the sharing here. I am beyond excited for the ZornFast this month. It will be my first ever. And I never thought I would say I was excited about fasting.

I hope you all donā€™t mind me sharing a milestone. Iā€™ve been eating keto (man it takes time to get it right) for about a year. My results have been okay but not stellar. My A1c and FBG are coming down but not that fast.
In the fall I started IFing pretty much daily. Iā€™ve done a few 24 hours.

Yesterday I completed my first-ever more than 24 hour fast. I went 38. Today, I was not hungry until dinner time and again I didnā€™t eat! So another 24 hour fast in the bucket. Thing is, I was not hungry - at all. Thatā€™s a first for me.

I used to wake hungry every day although it would subside if I didnā€™t eat. For the past week, I have not felt hungry when I wake up. I feel like something has truly changed in my metabolism. I canā€™t tell you how excited I am!

I feel like I have just graduated from kindergarten fasting. And Iā€™m gonna try those fasting wings on later this month.

(Allie) #40

Iā€™m so glad I listened to my body and ate last night as I had to walk to work this morning because the snow is so bad. It only took me an hour but it was hard work! Iā€™m used to walking miles each day, but not in snow a foot deep.