Manufacturer's cream - where to buy?

(Todd Allen) #1

Looking at wikipedia I saw there is a richer form of cream than heavy whipping cream available in the US with the name “manufacturer’s cream”. A quick googling found the grocery chain Meijer’s sells manufacturer’s cream without additives. But unfortunately they have no stores in Chicago, although they are in a couple near suburbs.

Does anyone know of other grocers that sell manufacturer’s cream?

(James storie) #2

No, but you have just opened my eyes! Was that the only grocery store chain that was mentioned?

(Todd Allen) #3

Costco was also mentioned, but in the past tense, that is they carried it in the past, but no more. Might need to start a campaign to urge Costco to reconsider their foolish decision to stop selling it.

(Siobhan) #4

Big enough push and they’d probably do it.
They have wonderful customer service from my experience

(Jenn Monaghan) #5

I’ve never seen this at my Meijer! I’m going to have to look harder…

(Jane Reed) #6

On the west coast there is a chain of stores called Smart and Final. Years ago I found manufacturer’s cream there at a reasonable price. Haven’t been in one recently.

Smart and Final has been around for many decades and is a precursor to the big club stores like Sam’s and Costco, except there is no membership fee. By comparison their prices are a bit higher but they package many of their fresh foodstuffs in smaller packages, which is an advantage for individuals or small families.

(Brian Miller) #7

I was recently informed by a friend that Restaurant Depot sells Heavy Cream at 40% fat content which is the same as Manfacturers Cream. I haven’t been able to get over to the one locally but I intend to soon. Possible that other restaurant supply stores carry it also.

(chris) #8

Here in Iowa we have a restaurant supply place that is open to the public I am going to go visit there soon I went into one of their satellite stores that didn’t have as much stuff but they found out that they can get heavy cream in gallon size I think. I also saw something about 33% fat heavy cream of some sort I will have to try out https://foodmarket.martinbros.com/

(chris) #9

http://www.berkeleyfarms.com/products/milkCream

(Todd Allen) #10

Thanks for the tip on Restaurant Depot. Never heard of it before but there’s one a couple miles from home. Unfortunately they only sell to businesses and non-profits so I’m going to have to jump through a couple hoops and see if I can get my hackerspace to apply for an account I can use.

(James storie) #11

Start a keto non profit! :laughing:

(Jan) #12

My Costco sells 40% heavy cream - is this the same as Manufacturers Cream? (It’s delicious, by the way - nothing else like it that I’ve found).

In Australia it’s called double cream and it’s available in every supermarket.
There is a product with similar fat content called clotted cream that you can look for.

(Duncan Kerridge) #14

Just checked my UK double cream in the fridge - 50.1%

And the clotted cream I sometimes buy is 60.5% and it’s delicious :yum:

(Duncan Kerridge) #15

What’s the normal fat level for heavy cream in the US? I’d just assumed that heavy cream was the same as double cream in the UK

(James storie) #16

I’m so jealous! I think in the USA the fat percentage is somewhere around 35% for standard HWC I wish I had a Costco near where I live so I could at least get some 40%!

(Todd Allen) #17

Here’s a table from wikipedia of US fat content of milk products. It lists 45% for manufacturer’s cream but I’ve seen elsewhere that it is 40% or greater. I’ve found imported British clotted cream through amazon but it is silly expensive. Maybe a business opportunity for someone to start US production of clotted cream.

Butterfat content U.S. terminology
69% Butter
45% Manufacturer’s cream
36% Heavy whipping cream
30% Whipping cream or light whipping cream
25% Medium cream
18–30% Light cream, coffee cream, or table cream
10.5–18% Half and half
3.25% Whole milk or regular milk[10][citation needed]
about 2% 2% milk or reduced fat milk [11]
about 1% 1% milk or low fat milk [11]
0–0.5% Skim milk or nonfat milk [11]