Malt Tea, Sweet Wort and Furmenty

(Bunny) #1

Since the onset and progression of modern day pharmaceutical industries and modern science…

History of Lost Medical Sciences:

I found this in some vintage literature!

Do people in England or elsewhere still make malt tea, sweet wort and this furmenty dish?

Precious Stones by W. T. Fernie, M.D. 1907 pp. 232- 233

“…Concerning the efficacy of alcohol towards maintaining the physical stamina during health, or recuperating it during illness, some remarkable views, supported by positive facts, have been lately adduced by Dr. Josiah Oldfield, who is a thoroughly qualified physician; also D.C.L. Oxford, and has been for many years in medical charge of the Lady Margaret Fruitarian Hospital, at Bromley, Kent. He writes: “There is a point on which temperance people will probably misunderstand me, but I am bound to say it; I look upon the liquor of grain as one of the most important causes of the stamina of the English people; that is to say, the ‘beer’ of old England. But, to my mind it is not the alcohol in the beer, but it is the mineral salts which are obtained from the barley, wherein consist the merits of this beverage. There are two things which I consider very valuable in promoting the growth of the English race; one has been the beer, the other has been the old English dish of ‘furmenty,’ made from barley, (or, more commonly, wheat). I especially want to emphasize the fact that the beer originally drunk was much more of the nature of barley-tea than is the beer of to-day. Anyone who has been to the old farmhouse breweries will know what I mean when I speak of sweet wort, which is really malt tea. It is composed of malt barley put to stew, and soaked in large quantities ; and the liquor of which, on being drawn off, is really strong sweet beer. In my opinion herein was the essential value of the early beer, or, as it really was, malt tea. I fully believe in this form of beer. I think that the alcohol of beer is an injurious addition, ‘to make it keep.’ This malt tea contains, moreover, a substantial amount of nerve-food; we use it in our hospital to a considerable extent." …”

Related:

1. Frumenty
  1. Recreating Medieval English Ales

Keto ruined drinking for me
Beer fast. It’s a thing. I invented it
(Bunny) #2

…cont. Precious Stones by W. T. Fernie, M.D. 1907 pp. 237, 238

…Frumenty, as commended by Dr. Oldfield, as well as “Flummery,” is made from wheaten flour, each being an old-fashioned food, much favoured by our rustic forefathers. The former consisted of milled wheat boiled in milk; for the latter a “recipe” is given by Dr. Salmon (1696). “This, in the Western parts of England is made of wheat flower, which is held to be the most heatening, and strengthening. To prepare this, take half a peck of wheat bran; let it soak in cold water three or four days; then strain out the milky water of it, and boil to a jelly; then season it with sugar, rose, and orange-flower water, and let it stand till it is cold and jellied again; then eat it, with white, or Rhenish wine, or cream, or milk, or ale.” In some farm-houses, “flummery” made from the husks of oats, and known as “sowens,” was eaten on New Year’s Day, between two and three o’clock in the morning, the said mess containing for the finders, a thimble, a button, and a ring; whilst some money was often put into it for luck. …”

(Bunny) #3

Matured Hop Bittering Components Induce Thermogenesis in Brown Adipose Tissue via Sympathetic Nerve Activity:

ABSTRACT: Obesity is the principal symptom of metabolic syndrome, which refers to a group of risk factors that increase the likelihood of atherosclerosis. In recent decades there has been a sharp rise in the incidence of obesity throughout the developed world. Iso-α-acids, the bitter compounds derived from hops in beer, have been shown to prevent diet-induced obesity by increasing lipid oxidation in the liver and inhibition of lipid absorption from the intestine. Whereas the sharp bitterness induced by effective dose of iso-α-acids precludes their acceptance as a nutrient, matured hop bittering components (MHB) appear to be more agreeable. Therefore, we tested MHB for an effect on ameliorating diet-induced body fat accumulation in rodents. MHB ingestion had a beneficial effect but, compared to iso-α-acids and despite containing structurally similar compounds, acted via different mechanisms to reduce body fat accumulation. MHB supplementation significantly reduced body weight gain, epididymal white adipose tissue weight, and plasma non-esterified free fatty acid levels in diet-induced obese mice. We also found that uncoupling protein 1 (UCP1) expression in brown adipose tissue (BAT) was significantly increased in MHB-fed mice at both the mRNA and protein levels. In addition, MHB administration in rats induced the β-adrenergic signaling cascade, which is related to cAMP accumulation in BAT, suggesting that MHB could modulate sympathetic nerve activity innervating BAT (BAT-SNA). Indeed, single oral administration of MHB elevated BAT-SNA in rats, and this elevation was dissipated by subdiaphragmatic vagotomy. Single oral administration of MHB maintained BAT temperature at a significantly higher level than in control rats. Taken together, these findings indicate that MHB ameliorates diet-induced body fat accumulation, at least partly, by enhancing thermogenesis in BAT via BAT-SNA activation. Our data suggests that MHB is a useful tool for developing functional foods or beverages to counteract the accumulation of body fat.

Citation: Morimoto-Kobayashi Y, Ohara K, Takahashi C, Kitao S, Wang G, Taniguchi Y, et al. (2015) Matured Hop Bittering Components Induce Thermogenesis in Brown Adipose Tissue via Sympathetic Nerve Activity. PLoS ONE 10(6): e0131042. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0131042

Notes:

1. Fermentation and anaerobic respiration
    How cells extract energy from glucose without oxygen. In yeast, the anaerobic reactions make alcohol, while in your muscles, they make lactic acid.

1. Fat Tissue Insulin Sensitivity and Obesity “…Given that fat cells don’t regulate food intake (except indirectly via their production of leptin, which acts in the brain), and the brain does, perhaps we should shift our focus to the brain for a moment. …” “…Drugs that influence food intake and/or body fatness usually do so via an effect on the brain. For example, rosiglitazone is an anti-diabetic drug that increases insulin sensitivity. One side effect is fat gain. Originally, it was postulated that fat gain was due to the effects of rosiglitazone on fat cells. Recently, it was shown by Dr. Jerrold Olefsky, in collaboration with my colleagues at UW, that rosiglitazone exerts its obesity-promoting effect mostly via the brain (9). This same story has repeated itself many times in the scientific literature, therefore whenever an intervention causes a change in food intake or fat mass, the first thing I think is “what’s happening in the brain?” …” …More
  1. Increase Your Brown Fat (BAT) to Maintain a Healthy Body Weight
  1. How to Talk About Wort Like a Brewer “…Imagine a tea bag steeping in hot water that will soon warm your hands, belly, and soul. The herbal characteristics seep into the water and impart a flavor, whether it be a black, green, or peppermint tea, while you wait for the scalding liquid in the ceramic mug to cool to a drinkable temperature. Manufacturers recommend a longer steep for a stronger flavor. Once you remove the tea bag (or whatever device holds the tea leaves), you’re left with a warm beverage that has taken on the flavors from the once dry tea leaf/spice mixture. Okay, now picture the same process but with malted barley steeping in water in a giant spaghetti pot on your stovetop: your first small batch of homebrew is underway. As the water boils away, the enzymes in the barley, put into a hungry frenzy by the heat, start breaking down the starches, turning them into sugars. These sugars will eventually serve as the food for yeast, which turns them into alcohol and carbon dioxide. As the boil progresses, you’ll likely be adding hops at varying times depending on the recipe. After about an hour, the boil is complete and the grain bag (which looks just like a giant tea bag) is removed. The flavors from the grain (as well as the hops) have been imparted to the liquid. Once the grains are removed from the pot, the liquid that remains is called wort. The wort is then rapidly chilled, poured into a fermentation vessel (carboy) with some yeast, where it rests for two to three weeks until it’s transferred to a secondary fermentation vessel. Wort, then, is the liquid foundation for all beer. …” …More
  1. Hop Extract, a Bittering Component Used in Beer, Helps Reduce Visceral Obesity in Healthy Overweight Adults. Abstract Background: Humulus lupulus (hops) have long been used in beer brewing for their antimicrobial and bittering properties. Hops contain alpha acids, which during the boiling process of beer, get isomerized into iso-alpha-acids also called isohumulones. Research has postulated that daily supplementation with concentrated hop extract could help to reduce visceral obesity in healthy overweight adults. The goal of this systematic review is to summarize recent research on hop extract and its role in reducing visceral obesity.
  1. Composition of Bitter Substances of Hops and Characteristics of Beer Bitterness
  1. Iso-α-acids, Bitter Components of Beer, Prevent Inflammation and Cognitive Decline Induced in a Mouse Model of Alzheimer’s Disease.
  1. Iso-α-acids, bitter components of beer, prevent obesity-induced cognitive decline
  1. The 18+ Benefits Of Hops (Humulus Lupulus)
  1. Ancient Mayan Ritual Alcohol Enema

Beer fast. It’s a thing. I invented it
Carl's Zero-Carb IPA Beer
Man drinks only beer for 46 days loses 44 pounds