Low carb diets could shorten life (really?!) - Dr. Zoe Harcombie PhD

science

(Bunny) #1

Low carb diets could shorten life (really?!)

The BBC headline was ” Low-carb diets could shorten life, study suggests ” (Ref 1). In the US, CNN went with “ Low and high carb diets increase risk of early death, study finds ” (Ref 2). There were many similar, irresponsible, headlines worldwide that emanated from a study published in August 2018 in The Lancet Public Health journal (Ref 3). The Sydney Morning Herald warned “ People on low carb diets die younger, says science ” (Ref 4).

Let’s look at the ‘science’…

We need to make a critical point up front: every headline using the words “ low carb ” was wrong. The first sentence of the paper was “ Low carbohydrate diets …” This was also wrong. The full paper used the words “ low carbohydrate40 times. That was also wrong – 40 times. Low carb diets have not been studied by this paper. Full stop. The average carbohydrate intake of the lowest fifth of people studied was 37%. That’s a high carb diet to anyone who eats a low carb diet. As we will see below, the researchers managed to find just 315 people out of over 15,000 who consumed less than 30% of their diet in the form of carbohydrate. The average carb intake of these 315 people was still over 26%. Not even these people were anywhere near low carb eating. Hence, if you do eat a low carbohydrate diet, don’t worry – this paper has nothing to do with you. …More

Low carbohydrate diets are unsafe and should be avoided
Can someone point out what's wrong with this study and article
Vegan Diets are the healthiest, according to new study
New Jan 2020 Harvard Study

Seems like the more I learn and enjoy the Keto WOE/WOL, the more of these stories keep popping up. … Followed by all the other writings, debunking them completely. It’s almost like a last ditch effort to keep people from changing over to a LC/HF diet, changing their WOL, correcting some issues they have and being healthier overall. … Just doesn’t make sense.

Well, it does make sense if you consider that all the folks who are invested in your/our poor health will be out of jobs as we regain our health!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

It makes a lot of sense when you consider that (a) statins and diabetes drugs are a multi-billion-dollar industry, and (b) it’s hard to make a lot of money telling people to eat healthy food.

Yep, very true. … But it’s really sickening when you hear someone mentioning that they are loosing weight with this WOE, getting healthy, and still getting push back from the medical field. … As I mentioned not long ago, after I started Keto, my wife checked with our doctor, and she admitted not being familiar with Keto, but would support us in any way she could. … And since she’s our neighbor, we speak a lot around our homes. So she keeps up and is always checking on things.

She actually just put in for my wife to get a blood meter for testing, after V found out my insurance covers the cost of them. Then she called and also found out they also cover for the cost of a (Dexa Scan - Think that’s the name?) once every two years. :slight_smile:

Low carbohydrate diets are unsafe and should be avoided, study suggests
(Empress of the Unexpected) #6

(Lonnie Hedley) #7

Didn’t even watch the video, but I liked it because…Dr. Ken Berry.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #8

Yes, the voice of reason…

This was a great video! Thank you