Can someone point out what's wrong with this study and article

(Joey Chaffee) #1

(Stacy Blanchard) #2

First off the title-it is not a diet. Second the article points to no science supporting or refuting Keto. He is camp plant based. If you want research and science, YouTube Dr. Benjamin Bikman (metabolic researcher) or Virta health. There is a podcast called the Low Carb Carioligist. I believe you can make anything seem to support one’s views. Are you referring to a specific statement because I don’t really see much as far as stats or science just his speculation stated as something we should believe just cause he said so.

(Joey Chaffee) #3

Me neither! Thanks, I was looking for more insight. It is a very vague article and started watching the video but it was boring and unrelated.

(Running from stupidity) #4

When you’re on a propaganda site, expect propaganda.

(Joey Chaffee) #5

And the study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3555979/

(Karen) #6

You may use plant protein and hea!thy plant fats ; howerver, calorie restriction does not work… Also saturated fats are fine.

K

(Ethan) #7

So he cites a slide from 2007 in which he supposedly cited a randomized control trial that shows ketogenic diets to increase risk of death…but then he doesn’t cite that trial now or tell us more about it.

(Kerin ) #8

Quote from this article :
“So I was talking about that and making sure everyone was hearing about that, and then there was one the Journal of the American Heart Association published a few years later that isolated the people who had had a heart attack in the past, the cardiology population that we’re seeing, and they were doing a ketogenic diet”.

Despite the article is of interest to Plant based community, and the article is bits of a full interview, I am thinking once again, this is geared towards like minded folks, only reaching 30,000+👍.
Although it is nice to discuss heart healthy lifestyle, I found no mention of diabetes and heart health in the excerpt.
In short, what is wrong with this article is it’s a great short read focused on the Heart and no dietary guidelines other than what to avoid.

(Bunny) #9

”…Mortality rate

He added: "There’s only one slight problem: and that’s cardiovascular events. If you look at mortality - I remember pulling out the slide from 2007, that’s the first one I saw, large randomized trial, looking at the ketogenic diet and showing that it increased mortality by about 22 percent.

"So I was talking about that and making sure everyone was hearing about that, and then there was one the Journal of the American Heart Association published a few years later that isolated the people who had had a heart attack in the past, the cardiology population that we’re seeing, and they were doing a ketogenic diet. It was a 53 percent increase in mortality. No one should be doing this.

“Don’t limit yourself to these two trials - take every trial that’s ever been published across the world, do a meta-analysis, I think they had 13 or 16 trials in it, and average them all out…and the answer was 31 percent increase in mortality. So it’s not something people should do unless your weight loss is more important than your life.” …” …More <===hmmm they like to hide the actual link to the article?

What a lazy piece of vegetarian journalism, no actual citations to the purported research? I am deeply suspicious (depending on his definition of a “ketogenic diet”) that Dr. Williams is talking about this: Low carb diets could shorten life (really?!) - Dr. Zoe Harcombie PhD (or similar ”meta-analysis” configuration data?) IF NOT where is this research he so poignantly points out?

Now be it possible that some people could over eat fats and proteins and induce higher levels of glucose contributing to CVD, but is that likely? Will be keeping an eye on this for further exploration of Dr. Williams supposed conclusions?

Research by Dr. Kim Allan Williams Sr:

1. Healthy Plant-Based Diet What Does it Really Mean? Kim Allan Williams Sr. and Hena Patel
  1. ENDING THE KETOGENIC DIET DEBATE - Dr. Kim Williams

Interesting snip from reddit:

REDDIT:
”… ducked • Aug 14, 2018, 3:12 PM
Great interview!! Does anyone know what studies he was talking about with keto and mortality? I haven’t seen them. Especially interested in that meta analysis on mortality and I can’t seem to find it.

Edit: it seems like the studies he’s talking about just aren’t on the Internet? I’ve looked everywhere idk what’s up with that.

plantstrongftw • Aug 15, 2018, 3:08 PM
I found them for you. If you search have YouTube for the video “taking the die out of diet” by Dr Kim Williams and on the channel the real truth about health. Around half way he shows those exact studies and you can find them there[1].

ducked • Aug 19, 2018, 6:13 AM
Thank you!! They aren’t keto specific but are about low carb in general, which is why I couldn’t find them.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17136037/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25246449/

Also I assume the meta analysis he was talking about is the one that just came out a couple days ago. …” …More

Footnotes:

[1] I could not find what this person is talking about (“exact studies”)? Where is it? Anyone? Maybe it got lost under the couch? The dog ate it?

(Bunny) #10

Looking at the slides presented in this video “taking the die out of diet” by Dr Kim Williams, I can see where he is going with this:

It does not matter whether you do the vegetarian diet or the ketogenic diet?

It is the SUGAR (excessive glucose) and PROCESSED FOODS (excessive carbohydrates? toxins? and missing electrons? etc.) that he, himself clearly points out that causes all the problems; NOT THE RED MEAT OR ANY OTHER MEAT (heavily processed? and cooking temperatures?) OR FATS/OILS (racidness/oxidized, heat, chem treated; extra virgin unprocessed/cold pressed?) or thinking that EATING ONLY PLANTS is healthier, period!

Trying to say either diet is better is an attempt to deny what the real problem is i.e. SUGAR & PROCESSED FOODS (that includes non-organic GMO/Monsanto: Agro-Bio-Chem)?

Have to give him a thumbs up :+1: for taking the gut flora microbiota into consideration in his presentation slides! Especially the slide about the processed red meats and unprocessed red meats (nice)!

("Don't call it calories, call it food") #11

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17136037/

Great points @atomicspacebunny and I agree with your points below about processed red meat…

I’m guessing this one (link above and in previous reply) has been discussed elsewhere on the forum but I read the full study and it found a higher incidence of mortality for the Greek population that ate fewer than 140g of carbs per day with a corresponding consumption of more than about 200 g of protein (can’t remember the protein number but it was high)

I don’t think this is at all representative of keto… Like others have said this is a criticism of high protein rather than keto