Looking for other beginners to start keto journey

I’m veggie too, just joined the forum today, started this WOE 4 days ago, tries it for a couple of weeks recently, but struggled & gave up. I’m finding it hard as many of the veggies foods I would eat - beans, lentils etc. are quite high carb… I do love cheese & nuts so am eating those a lot.
Breakfast today was chia seed ‘porridge’ (with peanut butter & hazelnut milk to lower carbs), lunch was cloud bread & cheese, dinner was courgette fritters with feta, spinach & tomatoes, plus low carb soya yoghurt. It’s hard when you can’t eat too many vegetables either- root veg, squash, etc. I don’t mind tofu, have had lots of eggs- scrambled, omelettes etc., quorn bacon… Have a had quick look through the recipes but will have a better look to see if there’s many veggie recipes on there. I’ve found quite a few on Pinterest too. Hoping to get some more ideas on the forum to keep me going longer this time!!

Hey, yea it seems pretty limited! I think I might just have to eat more quorn based products because im wary of OD’ing on cheese :stuck_out_tongue: ooh chia pudding sounds great for breakfast, thanks! I think eventually I’ll end up going low carb rather than Keto because it’s going to be hard to eliminate all pulses and legume! Would be great to hear how you get on :slight_smile:

(Stephanie ) #131

Hey everyone I’m 5 days in and feeling pretty good so far. Its defintaly a whole new lifestyle for me but I’m confident I can stick with it.

(Nicole Smith) #132

Hi Frank, I’m a newbie too. I started last Sunday, and just found this site today! If you have Facebook there are a ton of helpful groups there too.

(Caroline T) #133

hey everyone. I’m going to start my keto diet tomorrow.
I’m looking to lose around 25-30 pounds hopefully by mid-June. My issue is the lack of motivation. But I really need to be on this diet to get my weight down and also for health reasons. It would really help if I could chat with someone one or one or like a imessage group or something to keep me going.
If anyone is interested in keeping each other motivated through this process please message me. I’d greatly appreciate it.

(Jeannie Oliver) #134

Vegetarians on this thread might benefit from an “egg fast”–which is ketogenic. There are a couple of egg fast threads on this forum and a few blogs that explain the protocol and offer recipes to enable you to have some variety. (Bacon fat is optional.)

(Julia ) #135

Hey guys,
Newbie here. I had started out doing Atkins Induction and then ran into this keto diet online… it really stood out to me so I’m on day 3. So far so good… I’d love to join this group. I’m always looking for information and tips on YouTube and Google. One thing I did try yesterday was that bulletproof coffee… Had a pretty bad experience with that… :thinking: lol so I think I’ll go easy on that and maybe try it again in a week or so. Haha I’m looking to drop about 30lbs… so far I’ve lost water weight, it is beyond motiving. I look forward to reading your posts.
Jules

(Julia ) #136

Hey,
Looks like we are looking to lose the same amount. I’d love to correspond with you during the process.
Jules

(Farhan Ali) #138

hi there

Started my keto + gym on 5 march. i was 248 lbs, 182cm, bmi of 34, 44 years male and sedentric life style. First 7 days were difficult. Always low energy. Then i started to feel better. At 12 days on 17 march I checked my weight and guess what, I was at 237 lbs!!! Can you believe that? Day 13 i had lots of energy and superb clarity at work. Day 14 was the same. Day 15was a little dull but now people and friends are saying my face looks smaller and younger.
Today, day 16, i was hungry with hurting tummy all day. Couldn’t go to the gym after work so skipped that.
Is it real?? Can results start to come so quickly?

(Winifred Laetitia Ashford-Brown) #139

Hello, I have just started this lifestyle and feel really motivated. Can I just bother you kind people with a couple of questions? I do find all this fat tastes greasy, I suppose I’ve got so used to ‘low fat’ it will take a while to become accustomed. The other thing is can I eat lots of veg? and can I boil it or do I need to steam or stir fry it?- Many thanks for your help.

I tried this a few weeks ago, & lost about 6lbs in less than 2 weeks- mainly water weight, I know, but I was noticing less lumpy legs! Found it really hard, so did peter out… I’m having another go! You’ve done really well!

I’m a newbies too, but veg does still have a carb content, so you will need to work that out. You need to work out the net carb amount- apparently total carb - fibre = net carbs. Lots of sites online have the totals for different veg, but above ground veg is lower than below ground/ root veg. Good luck, hope you soon adjust to the higher fat levels, think my stomach is still adjusting!

(Jonathan Marshall) #142

Just started (again) today. This is my 3rd go at LCHF, and I must say this is the most prepared/motivated I’ve been. My previous attempts ended after about 1 month, just long enough to get ketoadapted probably before falling off the wagon. I’m 33, married, father of 3 under 3. I think the biggest challenge for me is not having a metabolic derangement (at least I’m not aware of one currently, but am genetically predisposed to T2), being thin, and trying to stay motivated to prevent disease. My mom was recently diagnosed with T2 (her A1c was 11!! Yikes!) and so I’m trying to go on this keto journey with her. With kids in the house who eat carbs cause it’s quick and easy, it’s a challenge to say no to a cookie or bagel during a mid-afternoon doldrum. “Just one won’t hurt, right? I mean I don’t have diabetes.” And then it’s a slippery slope from there from which I may not recover. A bagel turns into a donut, then a pizza. You catch my drift. But I’m very glad to have found the keto dudes and some other podcasts and very informative talks to encourage and inform. Looking fwd to going on this journey with all of you newbies out there!

(bjørn arne) #143

I am realtive new, six weeks :grin: i wish you the best of luck! And my advise is to the take magnesium potasium, sodium from day one og you will get very sick. Drink alot of water and get enough fat. I can’t stress the last one enough, eat more fat than you think :stuck_out_tongue:

(Winifred Laetitia Ashford-Brown) #144

Thank you, so must check the veg carbs and will adjust to all the fat. Biggest challenge so far is swallowing loads of water, very difficult and I forget all the time, despite having a bottle right in front of my nose. Anyway 2lbs down, so very pleased. Onwards.

(Steve) #145

For me, water bottles don’t do the trick - they’re fine for the gym, but I don’t drink as much. Having a 500ml tall tumbler in front of me always gets the job done.
If you’re getting enough veggies, I don’t think you need any supplements (just a multi-vitamin) - but you need to use a meal/macro tracker like myfitnesspal.com (I’m sure there’s lots of sites/apps) - that’s just the one that I’ve been using.

(Winifred Laetitia Ashford-Brown) #146

Thank you. I’ll try the large glass of water instead of bottles. I do use cron-o-meter, but think perhaps I should pay more attention to quantity as tend to guess, and possibly not eating enough. Felt very lightheaded this morning. Had some smoked salmon. Note to self - must be more pro-active in cooking food, not grabbing instant from the fridge. Inherently lazy.

(Steve) #147

Casserole recipes are awesome - many of them freeze REALLY well (keto recipes being high in fat usually, helps them keep in the freezer).

That bacon-cheeseburger one on the “what did you keto today?” thread makes 12 servings!!! (have 8 of them in my freezer at the moment).

Lots of great recipes over on ketoconnect.net (I’m up to 38 recipes in the Keto category of my Paprika app - a good chunk of them I got from that page) - going to try their Asian Noodle Bowl for lunch today. :slight_smile:

(Suresh Brady) #148

Just lower the carbs and increase the fat

(Jennifer thompson) #149

Hi guys I’m new to the keto diet I’m almost 2 weeks in and feeling pretty good now I was tired for the bout the first 3 days increased fat and salt and feel pretty good so far I’ve dropped 11 lb. I’m pretty strict on myself I stay 70% fat 25 percent protein 5% carbs the only problem I’m having it’s getting enough fat and looking at better recipes to get more fat into my diet. I also have a little confusion on the veggie situation everybody says you need veggies veggies are carbs can’t eat a lot of veggies on 20 carbs a day any suggestions