Looking for keto pals also a month in

(Lindsey) #1

Hi guys,

I’m a month and a week into keto, finding lots of frustrations at the moment though I’m sticking with it. I’m looking for other people at about the same stage so we can have a thread to stick together, celebrate/commiserate, and get to know each other a bit. Anyone out there? :smiley:

I’m a month in! I really want to stick with this long-term and am reading/listening/watching everything I can on the subject. Would love support to start cooking. I’ve just been eating simple, boring things.

Also want to start strength training.

Thanks for starting the thread!

(Kellie) #3

I can say it does get better. I have some weeks where I’m like is this even working anymore and I’m doubtful and then bam more weightloss. It’s weird and every body is different. At the very beginning I was frustrated because people kept saying that to me that everyone was different some peoples body’s catch on quick others not so much so it’s hard to give 100% accurate answers sometimes because some things just aren’t as quick for some people as it is for others . All in all those really trait the system . The first month was the hardest for me - second month I lost the most weight and now I’m in the 3rd month finally feeling like I got this lifestyle down. I am down 23 pounds when I weighed in for my 3 months-with no excersise. Trust the process!!!

(Lindsey) #4

Hi Talia!

I’ve been collecting recipes on Pinterest - for dinners I’m mainly I’m living on keto curries (KetoConnect’s Butter Chicken is lovely), or salads with home made mayo when it’s hot.

They say strength training is great for keto. :slight_smile:

(Lindsey) #5

Hi Kellie! Thanks for the support - I realised today that I might be eating too much protein so I think that might be what’s causing me some trouble - I’ll be tracking it closely from now on. It’s great to know you’ve had good results fairly early on. :slight_smile:

(Casey Crisler) #6

Two plus months in and I’m down 27 pounds and have more energy than ever as an adult. I’m eating one meal a day with no hunger and actually can’t wait to go have my doctor checkup next month to see my A1C level.
The downside is because I’m only eating one meal I can’t really do too much fancy cooking. Just simple meat and salad dishes.
And maybe a keto dessert like @carl keto mousse.

What frustrations are you having?

(Lindsey) #7

Lost a fair bit in the first couple of weeks and since then I’ve been putting on about a lb a week, which is really annoying. I’m going to be keeping a closer eye on protein in case that’s the culprit.

I’ve been eyeing up various mouse recipes too. I tried one with avocado that was vile but I’d seen loads that look tasty.

27lb in two months is amazing, well done!

I started June 9th, so I guess I’m close to a month in. :slight_smile: Thanks for this Board.

I was sluggish, very overweight, type 2 diabetic, and in constant pain due to various other ailments, including joints and stomach. I heard many people extol the benefits of eating keto, but I resisted for years, because who wants to give up carbs?

I read the book The Plant Paradox, which made tremendous sense. On the day I began, my waking blood sugar level was 284. As I slowly learned what to do/not do, it started to drop. It is down to 131–over a 150 pt difference! You couldn’t pry me off of my new lifestyle. My energy level has substantially increased, my joint pain has decreased, my gastric “issues” have not made an appearance since June 9. This works. I’m not hungry, I’m unlearning old ways of eating, my clothing is looser, and I am trying new recipes.

I would encourage new people to keep some kind of progress record/journal because after only a month, my results have been amazing. Educate yourself and try a variety of approved foods. I like things I had never even heard of!

Good luck to all.

(Casey Crisler) #9

“Lost a fair bit in the first couple of weeks and since then I’ve been putting on about a lb a week,“

Muscle weight maybe? If you’re walking a lot that could be the cause, I suppose. If you’re up to it try fasting. Something like 18 hours off and a 6 hour window to eat. Nothing but water or fast friendly drinks during the 18 hours.
Based on some of the other posts, it can be harder and take longer for a female to lose weight. Men seem to be fortunate in that respect.
Maybe post what a typical day is for you as far as eating times, meals, keto desserts.

Do any of you find it difficult to focus on work or errands because you’d rather research nutrition and lifestyle tips and keep track of all the effects on energy, skin, etc? I love the endless online resources. I’m legitimately obsessed and actually enjoy the feeling of obsession (always have). But I don’t want to crash and burn by losing balance or neglecting other areas of my life.

I’m finding it hard to focus on other things. Did you go through this? If so, did it pass on its own, or did you have to actively discipline your attention?

(Lindsey) #11

Pretty sure it’s fat, though I do think the protein might be the cause I didn’t realise it was that important. I don’t eat much meat but I’ve probably been eating a bit too much cheese.

I’ve been doing IF, I don’t eat much in the day so I find that aspect pretty easy. I’m going to try to get a handle on logging all the macros this week so see if anything jumps out. If I’m still having issues I’ll post what I’m doing.

(Casey Crisler) #12

“Do any of you find it difficult to focus on work or errands because you’d rather research nutrition and lifestyle tips and keep track of all the effects on energy, skin, etc?”

Ha ha. Yes. The very fact I’m on this site posting messages instead of working proves that. I like researching trails to hike.

(Dawn McVey) #13

I’m also on week 4, 7 lbs gone. I’m a lazy cook and tend to eat the same stuff, so anything to get me out of a food routine would be good. I’m also in the UK.

Hello. Just wanted to introduce my myself. I’ve been lurking around for awhile but have decided to join and post. I am about 6 weeks in. I have gradually moved from 3 meals a day down to 1 very large one most days. My goal is overall health and weightloss. :smile:. I am happy to be here!

Welcome, Trisha! How did you find the transition from 2 meals down to 1? I’ve been trying this over the past week or so, and I seem to get sleepy when I have 1 big meal. :frowning: Did you experience this in the beginning?

I started by eating more during the afternoon so my dinner would be smaller and to get use to the larger meal. At the end of last week I just wasn’t hungry so I skipped it all together. I still had my fatty coffee in the morning when I started to feel hungry and the last couple of days I havent reached for it until lunch time. It depends what I eat for lunch on whether or not I feel sleepy…I am still experimenting with that. This week I have been eating a salad with some sort of protein, avocado and more fat to satisfy me. This seems to not give me the food coma :slight_smile:

(Lindsey) #17

I think I’m a bit obsessed too, I spend way too much time looking up recipes/watching videos/listening to podcasts.

(Lindsey) #18

Hi Dawn! What do you eat at the moment?

Thanks! I’ve been keeping my eating window from about 12:30-6:30, so I guess I can bring the evening meal in a bit and see how I feel.

Lunch has become a really big meal for me, like 800 calories or so, and I think it’s too much while I’m still adjusting. I’ve been eating salad, protein, and avocado dressing with a side of coconut chia pudding. Some foods seem to affect me similarly to carbs, like cheese and some nuts.

I usually have fatty coffee in the morning but today I had nuts and they majorly spiked my appetite. And then I had a regular lunch of salad and salmon. Sleepier than usual, grr.

At least I can look forward to the late afternoon and early evening energy I now seem to have every day. Before keto, I would get wiped out after 5. Now, I’m high energy all day except for after lunch.

(Laura Neil Martinez) #20

I am also at week 5. Hanging in. Lost only 3 lbs. But don’t need to loose a lot, 5-10 lbs.

My biggest challenge is not having a lot of energy.