Looking for bone broth tips

(jilliangordona) #1

Hello! I am heading to the store to pick up a whole chicken to roast and then turn the carcass into both broth… will that be enough? Any favorite recipient out there?

Thank you!

Bone broth in a crock pot?

Searing the bones in a hot oven first adds flavour - works OK without this step if you can’t be bothered. I have done both ways.
I then throw in a bit of veg for flavour - carrot, onion, garlic, celery - some herbs, seasoning and a tablespoon of ACV (apple cider vinegar). Cover the bones etc. with water and then leave to cook out on a low heat all day or overnight - or longer.
When you have strained and chilled the stock, it should be a jelly - packed with flavour. Yum!

(jilliangordona) #3

Great, thank you!

Here’s a money saving tip. I never throw out the hard basil stems, parsley stems, or tough parts of leeks. I keep them in a ziplock bag in the freezer, and next time I need to make a stock, I use them all up. The flavour I get from the “salvaged parts” of basil, parsley and leek is incredible!

I also learned not to let my basil, parsley or other fresh herbs go bad (I really hate seeing food go to waste!!). Before the fresh herbs go bad, I separate the leaves from the hard stems, and I freeze both separately in ziplock bags. The stems are used for stock, and the frozen fresh leaves I use for general cooking (adding frozen fresh herbs to food makes a huge difference to food than not using any fresh herbs at all).

(Cheryl Meyers) #5

Actually I don’t throw away the veg or meat. I pull it off the carcass and just ladle it out with the broth for my morning cuppa :slight_smile:

(RavenRed) #6

Such a good idea! I hate wasting parts - even if they aren’t fit for human consumption!

(Annika) #7

I do something similar - I freeze all my onion, shallot, garlic, celery, carrot, and parsley scraps and toss them in with the chicken bones or carcass. Really enhances the flavor.

(Guardian of the bacon) #8

IP chicken Bone stock Questions

How much water do you use for a chicken carcass?
How long do you run it in the IP for?

(christa) #9

I just cover the bones with water; I don’t really measure, but make sure everything is submerged. 2 hours is the max my IP will do, which yields a nice, gelatinous bone broth.

(Guardian of the bacon) #10

Really? Mine went to 4 hrs so that’s what I ended up doing.

(christa) #11

Nice! How’d it turn out?

For future broths, I also recommend a combination of pork knuckles and chicken feet. It sounds gross (and looks creepy), but the result is amazing.

(Guardian of the bacon) #12

Turned out ok I think. I threw a few handfulls of greens in with it.

(David) #13

How do you use it then?