Lion Diet to heal, 4 months in, poor restults. Anyone can help?

newbies
food
carnivore
zero-carb-carnivore

(Edith) #41

I have followed the keto diet for over six years and I did a carnivore trial for seven months at one point. I have had to supplement extra salt the entire time I have been keto/carnivore. I’ve tried cutting back many times but have suffered the consequences every time. When my salt intake is too low I get low blood pressure (90/50) , muscle cramps, general achiness, and headaches. You may be one of those people who has to keep your salt intake high.

Something else for you to look into is oxalate dumping. I don’t have time to go into the details here, but carnivore is the ultimate low oxalate diet and when one stops eating all oxalate containing food their body starts dumping the oxalate it stored up over the years. Vision trouble can actually be a symptom of it. Dumping usually begins with two to three weeks of removing oxalate from the diet.

We have some info here on the forum if you search on oxalates and there is a lot of info on the web, especially if you look up someone named Sally Norton. She is an oxalate expert.

(Alec) #42

I am convinced my body has been oxolate dumping on and off for the last year or more. My symptom is I get a strange rash under my right eye with bumpy skin. It comes and goes, but always in the same spot. Not tender, no itching, just very slightly coloured red, and rough skin. I think it’s the oxalates.

(Edith) #43

Yup! Skin eruptions are definitely a symptom.

(Robin) #44

I have had low blood pressure my entire life. My diet has not affected it. I don’t think the extra salt has made a difference.

(Alec) #45

I think I would prefer low BP to high BP. Have you ever done any meds to raise BP? If so, did they work?

(Robin) #46

No. I’ve never felt the need to be concerned. So I’ve not tried anything.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #47

I know nothing about structured water, unless you are talking about ice, which in the Dominican Republic is probably found only in drinks, right? :grin:

(Edith) #48

I think it depends upon how one feels and why the blood pressure is low. My BP is usually around 100/60. I feel fine at that. When I haven’t had enough salt and it dips down to 90/50, I get light headed. Salt is an easy fix. Low blood pressure can also be caused by iron deficiency or even dehydration. There are more serious reasons as well.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/low-blood-pressure

(Michael) #49

I think most people would say spleen tastes a bit like liver, at least when it is cooked. The iron is overwhelming when eaten raw. It is one of the few organs I cook for taste. Here was my breakfast today. Chicken liver, sheep spleen, beef heart and thymus.

Meanwhile I made my quickest chicken liver ever, only about 15 minutes in a pan! I sliced the liver and soaked in whipping cream. It made it milder, tastier or something. Still very strong liver flavor but still much nicer. It was 470g, it will last for 2-3 days as I don’t use it as main dish unlike most people in this country (except when they eat pâté). I don’t eat it in minuscule amounts either.

I am not familiar with the Lion Diet protocol.

Do you know what triggers severe episodes? Stress or certain foods? I would seek out the help of an allergist/dermatologist and maybe a naturopathic doctor who has had success treating neurodermatitis. An elimination diet may be helpful. I am sure you have tried many things in the past. Best of luck.

(Bkone ) #52

I mostly take the temperature when it is already too late! So i am mostly overcooking, but i only use beef liver and it always gets quite hard…

(Bkone ) #53

Ok, interesting. I just made a break for 3 or 4 days from liver since I ran out of it.

(Bkone ) #54

Ok thank you! I did not loose to much weight, since I had already lost considerable weight before changing to carnivore. The last two days I felt much more stable with respect to my dizzyness after standing up too fast. But I did not measure my BP yet, I will give it a couple of more days to see what happens.

(Bkone ) #55

Is oxalate dumping still an issue after 4 months of strict carnivore?

(Bkone ) #56

I did increase salt intake and decrease water consumption, I do not know if it made a huge difference, but at least I am not feeling worse.

(Bkone ) #57

hehe there is actually quite some science behind the hexagonal water thing (including water memory, etc, very interesting). Here is some additional info: https://hexagonalwater.com/.

Totally, i would consider ice-cubes sort of structured as well!!! :laughing:

(Bkone ) #58

Ok, nice! That heart looks still quite alive! :grinning: I have never heard about thymus, something new to put on my list.

(Bkone ) #59

The Lion Diet consist of Beef, Salt and water, nothing more than that. But i still have coffee and sometimes cheese, so basically i am cheating :laughing:

I identified lack of sleep accumulated over a couple of days as number one trigger. Stress makes it worse when I already have an episode. Food not so much, I could never relate any food as to triggering an episode. But in the end, I am never 100% sure why I am having an episode. Allergies also come into play, so it really is a multivariate problem.

allergist/dermatologist: I have seen a lot during those years. The only approach they follow is cortisone ointments and antihistamine tablets. antihistamine tablets never worked for me. Cortisone helps as long as i use it, the moment i stop, although fading out over time, I risk a huge relapse.

I also got alternative treatment, injections of growth factors (a serum which is extracted from your blood plasma) into the affected areas (which in my case was my whole body…) .

Another alternative opinion connects Neurodermatitis with leaky gut and an unbalanced microbiome. Thats exactly the reason why I am on that strict carnivore diet right now, to see if I can fix my digestive tract, thus improving my immune system and heal. :crossed_fingers:

Thank you!!!

(Bkone ) #60

A quick update: Since I changed from using normal beef fat trimmings to 100% suet, my loose stool (sorry for the poop talk, but I believe this to be a very important indicator to monitor any progress…) has disappeared!!! I did not change anything else in my diet (well, some cheese, but in my case, the cheese has never had any influence on that issue…). Also, i decrease water consumption a little and also increased salt consumption and I do not feel worse, I would say a little more stable with respect to the dizzyness.

The other night I had a really strange, very strong burning pain in the liver area, as if something was obstructed there. The area was realtively hard and I felt pain upon pressuring that area with my hand. This was really strange. It went away with a bowel movement (more poop talk…) and thankfully never came back, still it left me a little worried, since the pain was very strong. Also, I am experiencing an unusual amount of belching since a couple of days. I hope all this is nothing else than changes happening in my body which might be necessary to sort things out…