Light Headedness after 40 hours of fasting

(Renee Slaughter) #1

I have tried to lengthen my fasting days. I make it through the first 24-36 hours easily. You’re mostly sleeping. Hour 40- onward I feel really lightheaded. I do remember my salt and keep it with me. This morning I was about 40 hours in, the lightheadness was getting worse, not pass out worse but sit down now. I ended it there and had some eggs and bacon and sausage. Few minutes was feeling better. This does not bode well for extended fasts beyond 42 hours. I take magnesium and potassium and loads of salt. Sooo much salt. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?

(Heather Miller) #2

Are you on any medications? What is your water intake like? Blood pressure?

(Renee Slaughter) #3

Hi Heather,
Last blood pressure 124/83. A little high for me. Normal for me is about 117/70. But it is lower than my last visit. Meds: currently on Seroquel XR 150mg. Taking ,1000mg of magnesium, B5 about 40000 units. That’s it.

(Renee Slaughter) #4

Yes water. When I’m fasting it’s a lot. 20 oz every 4 hours or so. Working on getting more water in on other days.

(Heather Miller) #5

Well. That all seems good and of course we sre not drs. Seems like maybe you just need more time at shorter fasts and there is certainly nothing wrong with sticking to a length that your body likes. I personally like 36 to 48 hrs best as that seems to work for me!

(Renee Slaughter) #6

Thanks @HeatherD. I am new to extended fasting. So I will take it easy.

(KFdriscoll%) #7

As Jason Fung is always saying; If you do not feel well while fasting STOP

(Renee Slaughter) #8

Thx that’s what I do. Just stop

I think transient episodes of lightheadness isn’t unusual during extended fasting. I don’t think it’s dangerous by itself so long as it’s not associated with weakness or not feeling well in general.

Fasting causes our body to release salt (and water follows via osmosis). So the most common causes for feeling lightheaded are electrolyte imbalance, hypoglycemia, or low blood pressure. This can be exacerbated in folks who already have low BP. Mine normally runs about 90/60 and when it drops 15 points, I sometimes become symptomatic.

Are you avoiding caffeine? For me coffee is an issue, even decaf sometimes.

(Renee Slaughter) #11

Nooooo say it isn’t so. Its my joy, my precious. Ok gotta think about that.

I think a lot of the problems people have when it comes to keto and especially fasting can be traced back to caffeine. I love coffee also but it gets a free pass by a lot of people who don’t even want to consider its effects. I’m not sure what happened within my body in the last year in terms of caffeine intolerance but I can assure you it’s become something I avoid at all costs. Decaf seems to be fine at times but while fasting I stick to water and herbal tea.

(Lonnie Hedley) #13

How much coffee are you drinking? I had 1 cup black the first two days of my last EF then only water after that. I know some people claim caffeine decreases hunger, but I feel it’s the opposite for me. There would have been no way I would have made 108+ hours had I continued having a morning coffee.

(Renee Slaughter) #14

I have a 2;5 cups with a little HWC.

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #15

:rofl:. Same.

(Lonnie Hedley) #16

Next fast, try without the coffee. Maybe just one cup the first morning. I know personally, I’d not make it very long on a fast if I continued to consume caffeine. Also personally, but if I’m fasting, I’m consuming no calories. So I wouldn’t do HWC in my coffee. If you feel you need it, sure, but I’d cut the coffe down, then out completely the longer you fast. I look forward to my morning coffee every day. Sounds like we’re similar in that regard. If you cut it out for a couple days, think how great it will be when you break your fast with a delicious fatty coffee!

(Renee Slaughter) #17

Thanks for the info. I know I’m addicted do not looking forward to the headache but will give it ago. Thanks for your assistance

(Lonnie Hedley) #18

That’s why I suggested you slowly give up coffee during an extended fast. Hopefully that will reduce withdrawal symptoms. :blush:

(Renee Slaughter) #19

Found the answer. Not enough salt. Thought I was doing enough but nope needed more. Next fast no coffee. Thanks everyone.

Prior to this fast, how long has your body been in ketosis?

Based upon what you are describing your body ran out of fuel and probably not consuming fat as of the 40hour milestone.

• at 8 hours your stomach is empty
  • at 18 to 24 hours your liver is empty
  • at 36 to 48 hours your body should be upping the production of ketones and transitioning from glucose as fuel for the brain to 75% ketones as fuel for the brain

Sounds like your body might not have been ready to make that transition.

How do you know that you were in ketosis prior to starting the fast?