Leg Cramp n=1 guidance needed + updates to follow

(Vijay Bhakta) #1

Hi All

Been doing Low Carb since 24th Feb 2018, managing very easily to give up food starch/sugars, but have kept on with moderate beer drinking throughout as I simply enjoy it too much. In Feb, aged 50, I was obese, weighing 224lb/102Kg . been this way for at least 25 years.

Need to provide a bit of a long winded background to give you an idea on what I have done to date so that I can get guidance on how to do a proper n=1

I used to get cramps in the early days, but those stopped once I started taking some magnesium supplements in addition to the Vit D supplements, a daily vitamin with Iron and also a cod liver oil tablet I was taking.

Was also drinking about 2 x 1l water, each with a tsp of Himalayan pink salt and some lemon.

I cannot recall 100%, but I think the leg cramps went away at this stage. I took all the supplements at around 5pm, just before my last meal of the day.

At this time I started using Cronometer to track my food and monitor macros etc. and I noticed I was “deficient” in Potassium. So got some Lo Salt and started to use that in my cooking to give my potassium a boost.

I prepare and cook most of my meals and eat all sorts at home apart from beef, so lots of bacon, eggs, chicken and lamb, along with mushrooms, asparagus, avacado, broccoli, cauliflower, salads etc oh and butter and almond flour biscuits, double cream for puddings.

In June this year, my mother in law came to visit for a month. This meant our house turned into a veggie zone. So I ate out once or twice a week to get my meat fix, but in the main, it was veggie for 4 weeks. and the leg cramps returned with a vengeance. Waking me up 3-4 times a night co-inciding with me wanting to go to the bathroom for a wee (as I had upped my water intake to 3l a day to help lower my BP - see this thread for info on my cholesterol and BP) Just standing up for a few seconds would make the cramp go away - the cramp would be either at the base of the shin where it connects to the foot (front side of the ankle if you like) or my calf. Trying to stretch in bed caused the cramp to move from the front base to the back calf, so standing up was the only option. - This happened for 4 weeks. I finally found out about magnesium oil which I apply to my lower legs before bed, but while this delays the actual cramp for a few hours, so only 1-2 times a night, I still get a pulsing/tingling feeling in my legs.
I had stopped the Vit D tablets at this time and also switched magnesium tablets to one based on magnesium oxide (i did not know better at the time)

I told all of this to my GP who sent me for some blood work which sort of look ok - results below…
I should add, never been diabetic, just obese. My HbA1C last July was 32mmol/mol, dropping to 28 by April (2 months into Keto) and last blood work in June had it at 29.

I went on holiday on 26th June for a week and shifted my carb intake so I had less beer, but had a few slices of sourdough and baguette a day, ate potatoes and ate ice cream and cake. Net result was a week where I gained 8lb but had no cramps what so ever, though I was taking about 750mg (at 4pm and 10pm of Magnesium Oxide tablets a day but that was the only supplement.

Returned back last Tuesday and went back to Keto WOE on Wednesday and the cramps returned that night. I had kept with the 750mg of Magnesium Oxide and started my daily vitamin and cod liver oil again as well as the lo salt/himalayan salt water mix - 2l a day. Still cramps. Saturday night I had my usual supplements and by 11pm I started getting cramps, so used some magnesium oil (about 6 sprays each leg) and had a decent night sleep but still with that feeling that a cramp could come along any second. Last night, I was out all day, came home at 8pm, so took my 4pm dose of supplements then, then took the final 375mg Magnesium at 10pm, got a cramp at midnight so did about 6 sprays per leg as before (6 sprays is about 180mg I think). Same feeling as the night before but good grief, I got to know the inside of my bathroom very well for a few hours this morning. dare not step 10 feet from it :slight_smile:

Which brings me to the point of this post. I have clearly been winging my n=1, I want to do it properly, I have also read almost all the posts on the forums and beyond on leg cramps and lost of good, but conflicting advice, so I want to start again and learn tips from others on how to this this properly. One thing I did pick up is that I have totally ignored calcium, so I ordered this today and will start using it from tomorrow, unless the common advice is I should stop everything for a few days to reset my body before starting again.

I know @richard and @carl were talking about doing a specific podcast about n=1, but with no timeline, I felt I needed to reach out to this awesome community

As a parting update, I now weigh 188lb/85.3kg so a drop of 36lb / 16.7kg in 136 days, my BP is lowering, TG/HDL Ratio in mg/dL: 1.2 | in mmol/L: 0.52 so everything heading in the right direction and I am still enjoying the odd beer or two (more as England progress in the World Cup :wink: )

(Terri) #2

I would suggest increasing your Himalayan salt intake—a pinch under your tongue every hour or so. I also switched to using a liquid magnesium so that the absorption is less dependent on traveling through digestive system. I use Trace Minerals 400 mg throughout the day. This formulation does not contain sweetener, which some liquid supplement me do.

(Jane) #3

My understanding is calcium carbonate is very poorly absorbed - look for calcium citrate such as Citracal or a generic. If you are looking for a blend, make sure the calcium is citrate.

I believe the one you bought is carbonate.

(Deb) #4

I have always had chronic legs cramps EXACTLY. where you do (lower leg on side); I take 500 mg potassium tabs. Get on Amazon. 110 for $5.95.

(Vijay Bhakta) #5

Thanks for the advice.

@Terri I measure out 2 heaped teaspoons of Himalayan salt each morning and have that with my 2l of water or a pinch whenever I am in the kitchen. this equates to about 20g a day which (according to Cronometer) is about 3600mg of Sodium. I am learning more about Magnesium as each day goes and am finding that using the Magnesium Oil is helping more than the Magnesium Oxide pills that I currently have.

@Janie I did call the suppliers of the tablets and spoke to the chemist there who was saying that the levels of citrate are lower for both calcium and magnesium as to increase the qty of those would mean bigger tablets. I was puzzled by this - just make smaller ones and take more :slight_smile: Anyway, they said that comments received back have shown the tablets do help cramps and we had a decent chat around the subject to leave me feeling positive enough to try rather than send the bottle back, plus they are a small business who happen to be based in my city so I will give them a go but will certainly do more research into the make up of tablets if I decide to ditch these.

@skinnyjeans13 Potassium is a funny one for me, as I mentioned in the thread I use Lo Salt to bulk up my porassium intake, 2g a day in water or food will give me around 692mg, so in theory I should be covered off there.

Today is Day 1 of my experiment. I will have my 20g + 2g of Salt and 2 of the Natures Aid tablets and will refrain from using the Magnesium Oil proactively before bedtime to see what happens.

(Deb) #6

Hope you get them under control. Mine were devastating! Woke me up and had me literally in tears until I started the potassium. Good luck!

(Nicole Sawchuk) #7

3 years keto and the cramps are still persistent no matter how much salt, magnesium, calcium I take or in different ratios. Yet my blood results come back normal. Sigh. Some months I get more attacks than other months. I have been really lucky the last couple months and the only thing I changed was consistently drinking more water. Makes sense because now the only attacks I do have is if I have a couple of glasses of wine so its just plain dehydration (salt etc keeps the hangover away). I thought I drank tons of water, but maybe not. Was that the answer? Probably not - but something to keep in mind.

(Jane) #8

I would certainly try them and see if they work.

I am confused by their labeling - under the mg they just list “calcium”. In the ingredients they list calcium carbonate prep (no idea what the prep means) then calcium citrate is listed further down on the list. But no mg or % of how much is carbonate and how much is citrate.

Anyhoo - hope you find something that works for you. I had leg cramps a couple months ago and searched this board and decided my sodium, potassium and magnesium was good and added a generic citracal and it worked for me.

Good luck! Leg cramps bite!!!

(Vijay Bhakta) #9

@N1coleS I have never been much of a water drinker in my Carb days but slowly building up to 3l+

Well, Day 1 was interesting…

This is what I ended up taking…

Which equates to 1318mg Calcium, 715mg Magnesium, 3371mg Pottasium and 4795mg Sodium

The salt + water was throughout the day, the pills just before we ate at 6pm.

By 8pm I was once again closely studying my bathroom interior.

and I got leg cramps at around 3am and 5am.

Day 2 will up my salt intake by 5g but a confounder will be beer as I will have a few whilst watching the World Cup. I am not thinking I should really start this n=1 experiment over from Monday, once the World Cup is over and I have no more excuses for a cheeky beer or three.

(Edith) #10

@vijay, you may want to look into magnesium glycinate which is considered more bioavailable. That may keep you from needing to study the bathroom so closely in the evening.

(Vijay Bhakta) #11

@VirginiaEdie Thanks Edith. Will look for those if I get nowhere in the next few weeks.

Day 2 was awful, I increased my Salt intake to 25g, had just 1 of the Calc, Mag + Vit D tablet along with a 150mg Magnesium Oxide tablet (I have a small stock to run down) as well as my daily vitamin pill and cod liver oil. For some reason, I forgot about the LoSalt yesterday, so with those above and the food I ate, my totals looked like:

• Sodium - 6315mg
  • Potassium - 1042mg
  • Calcium - 688mg
  • Magnesium - 373mg

and the cramps returned with a vengeance, almost every 90 minutes. Now I did have 2 pints of beer and several Gin and no sugar tonic (with a view that the quinine might help), so that would have messed this up slightly, but in the end I had to use some of the magnesium oil I have to put a stop to it. But the reduction in Potassium could also be a factor.

I am being very strict with myself today, Day 3. Have a meal plan sorted in advance and will not deviate from it, so if things go to plan, todays intake will be:

• Sodium - 6619mg
  • Potassium - 2363mg
  • Calcium - 1324mg
  • Magnesium - 678mg (1 tablet + using magnesium oil before bed)

(Vijay Bhakta) #12

Day 3 went well. Didn’t quite manage the mineral levels I was aiming for as I decided that as I am out and about on Friday, I didn’t want to take too much Magnesium, so I ended up with…

• Sodium - 7543mg
  • Potassium - 2923mg
  • Calcium - 1155mg
  • Magnesium - 570mg (using just magnesium oil before bed + food)

net result - a few twinges but no cramp until about 5am,

Today, Day 4 will be messy as I am meeting up with friends for a few drinks, but have made up a concentrated version of my electrolyte solution to take with me and use it to dilute glasses of water, then will use Magnesium Oil before bed again.

(Nicole Sawchuk) #13

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it looks to me like alcohol is the cause of the cramps. It is for me especially with keto. Any time I have a drink or two - the cramps show up and last for a day or so. I’ve significantly cut back my drinking just for this reason and now understand that if I am going to indulge, I have to step up my electrolytes and also just accept that the cramping is going to occur.

(Edith) #14

My thoughts are that for anything that is diaretic: alcohol, caffeine, Diet Coke (for me, unfortunately) electrolytes go out along with the fluids. Maybe on the days you indulge, you might want to really up the electrolytes. Or, just be a good girl or boy. But, who wants to be good ALL the time?:smiling_imp:

(Vijay Bhakta) #15

Day 4. Great night out but I knew I could potentially pay for it at night. Anyway, minerals for the day were

• Sodium - 5838mg
  • Potassium - 3464mg
  • Calcium - 1342mg
  • Magnesium - 519mg (using just magnesium oil before bed + food)

And quite a bit of alcohol to test @N1coleS theory :slight_smile: - things I do for science lol

Well, Went to be after midnight and started getting minor cramps at the front of the ankle area at around 3am, standing up made the cramp go away very quickly and I could then sleep again. Then at 5am, oh dear, cramp and the front and then very quickly at the back calf muscle in both legs. I sat up in bed, but struggled to actually stand up the pain/contraction in the leg just made it difficult. Managed it on the 5th attempt and then had to walk around for a few minutes before the legs calmed down. Now, some 12 hours later, the muscles are still sore.

(Edith) #16

And quite a bit of alcohol to test @N1coleS theory :slight_smile: - things I do for science lol

Thank you for your self-sacrifice! :grinning:

(Vijay Bhakta) #17

Day 5

Better day, lots of walking, though I forgot to take my electrolytes with me which meant I had to take them all within a few hours rather than spread over the day.

Minerals for Day 5 were:

• Sodium - 5545mg
  • Potassium - 4015mg
  • Calcium - 1080mg
  • Magnesium - 919mg

Net result was again, no cramps until around 6am and then just a little when I stretched out in bed. I was wary of upping the Magnesium but all was well.

Few more days of tweaking and I hope to have found the magic mix for myself

(Vijay Bhakta) #18

Day 6

No cramps - just the odd threat of one, but that could just be in my mind.

Minerals for Day 6 were:

• Sodium - 4862mg (reduced from Day 5 as I wanted to up my Potassium)
  • Potassium - 4699mg (increased from Day 5)
  • Calcium - 1346mg
  • Magnesium - 533mg

Early days, but this is the first time I have taken more than 4500mg of Potassium so will aim to do the same again today to see what happens overnight.

forgot to add, a few large GnTs and 2 beers too, so fingers crossed its not alcohol related

(Vijay Bhakta) #19

Day 7 - no cramps again, well, one at around 6:30 when I purposely tried different ankle movements in bed to see if they triggered a cramp

Minerals for Day 6 were:

• Sodium - 6163mg
  • Potassium - 4767mg
  • Calcium - 1113mg
  • Magnesium - 642mg

Day 7 and no cramps at all last night

Minerals for Day 7 were:

• Sodium - 5219mg
  • Potassium - 4775mg
  • Calcium - 2248mg
  • Magnesium - 647mg

I still need to do some tweaking as I am waking up every 90 or 120 minutes to pass water, the regularity of this looks to me to be the kidneys flushing stuff out as the last glass of water I had was at around 8pm,

(Linda) #20

I’ve been getting some whopper leg cramps since the weather heated up. Last night I had the right leg go, then the left a little later, and then the right again in a grand finale, the entire calf and down the outside from my knee to my ankle. It cramped up so tight I couldn’t even bend at the knee. Ouch

I’m looking at your minerals and damn. I had bought some potassium and today I read the label - 1 tablet has 2% of the RDA. I guess I would need to take only about 50 of them.

I’ve taken magnesium taurate for several years because a cardio guy recommend it for palpitations, and has worked a wonder for that. I tried starting the day with some strong chicken broth for sodium and thought I was gonna ralph it right back up. I’ve always been a salt craver, but that was too much for even me. So today I started the day with a cup of bullion, and I’m drinking another one now before bed.

I was wondering if some sugar free pedialyte would work. I used to use it to forestall hangovers and it worked every time. I’ll pick some up and report back.